What's new

Pakistan Jails Lesbian Couple in Sex Change Case

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Jails Lesbian Couple in Sex Change Case

LAHORE, Pakistan — A couple who sought legal protection from harassment were separated and sentenced to three years in prison yesterday for lying to a Pakistani judge that surgery had turned one partner into a man.

The case of Shumail Raj, who was born female but had breast- and uterus-removal operations 16 years ago, and Shahzina Tariq has raised issues of homosexuality and transsexuality largely taboo in this conservative Muslim society.

The couple, who married last year, had approached the Lahore High Court for protection against harassment by Ms. Tariq's relatives. They said they wed to protect Ms. Tariq from being sold into marriage to pay off her uncle's gambling debts.

Court-appointed doctors who examined Ms. Raj ruled the earlier operations were not complete and that Ms. Raj was still a woman. The couple said they had lied about 31-year-old Ms. Raj's gender because they were in love and wanted to live together. Ms. Raj, who has a closecropped beard, has expressed a desire to go abroad for surgery to become male.

"There are certainly laws to deal with perjury, so they deserve due punishment," said Hina Jillani, head of the Legal Aid Center of the nongovernment Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. "But what I believe is that they should have been given some more leniency. Since our society sees such relationships as immoral and illegal, the couple certainly has this pressure on them. That is why they lied to the court."

http://www.nysun.com/article/55377

So she still doesn't have a penis? That's a weird question. :D If they want to do this, let em.

What crap. Let them do what they want behind the four walls of the house.

Regards
Will require a lot more legislation.

Such things are very rare in Pak.

Legislation should be updated with technology.

The chick became a man look alike to get legally hooked up with another chick.

That's quite an unhealthy behavior whatever factors that drove her to do it.

Lesbianism's not that uncommon in Pak though. Its a matter of opportunity I guess. Since hetero relations are not common out of urban areas, I guess there's more opportunity for lesbianism to sprout.

So she still doesn't have a penis? That's a weird question. :D If they want to do this, let em.

Reminds me of a recent South Park episode where Mrs Garrison changes back sex and turns man again after cloning a penis on the back of a mouse. :oops:

salim, this is something that has to be taken seriously. in the olden days, gays and lesbians would suppress their homosexuality and live normal lives, or they would engage in homosexual activities secretly. today, with homosexuals are gaining more rights in the first world, the homosexuals in asia are also bound to seek their rights. if the governments dont deal with the issue carefully, situation can become serious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom