What's new

Pakistan is interested in turkish MILDEN submarine project.

Seems PN very serious about enlarging and upgrading Submarine arm. Also one would of noticed that two of the three senior promotions to Rear Admiral were submariners. Maybe a reflection of how the PN wants to move forward both in terms of procurement and strategy.

Does that mean project hangor is facing trouble ? I know pakistan would receive them from 2023 but shouldn't the kneel laying been done I mean it takes about 4 yrs to make one submarine ....
No. I
Bhai jaan now Pak Govt is in much better financial position so some projects may become reality.

think for what it Is worth PN will possibly take design cues from Milden and Hangor and initiate in house building project. We have not set up a design section to just sit and drink tea. However we will get collaboration from Turkey mainly and China to achieve our ends. Even if we manufacture one sub every 3-4 years it will get the industry going. However our major hurdles are in the basic building materials department and-engines where China and Turkey can come in. Subsystems may well be Turkish based on their EU roots unless the Chinese come up with better ones. I think the future is in hybrid manufacturing with integration of multiple hardwares from different sources/ getting subassembly contracts. In essense the idea is to have indegenous solutions.
PN maybe interested but this maybe a pitch for joint/assisted manufacturing.
A

For Sub and anti-sub warfare I am very glad PN is going for non US equipment. Future sub designs and LRMPA will need to take into account US Submarines in Pak waters at some point.

Question is why are we investing so much in submarines?
Not that I'm against it but what's the logic behind this?

Pakistan has always thought along the lines of what capability we can acquire for the dollar being spent.
Pakistan was the first country in South Asia to acquire submarines, because,

They are harder to detect, track and therefore destroy. It can be used more effectively in attack or defence then a surface ship.
In attack, you have a lone submarine roaming the Arabian sea, and the Indian navy has to deploy lot of resources to look for it, and after having found it, it is harder still to destroy it.

In defence, the resource allocated by the Indian navy to search for the submarine cannot be used to attack Pakistani shipping. Plus it forces the Indian navy to keep its big assets hidden, or out of harms way, incase they face a sudden attack. It keeps the waters clear, for fear of that submarine.

That's the value of a single submarine, now if you have lets say a single frigate or even a destroyer,
it is on the surface, easily discovered, with its larger force and aircraft carrier, India can easily destroy it.

So that's the deference between using a single submarine or a single destroyer,
now when you have multiples, you change the scenario altogether, strategy and whole host of other factors come into play. This is just a simple explanation, but it catches the value of a submarine.

Now with nuclear weapons, it adds another factor to Pakistan's strategic capability.

As of now i dont think Pakistan is in a mood to acquire these beautiful submarines. Yes some way down the road this might be the new submarine program for Pakistan but as of now its a no probably. Turks are doing great in terms of military tech, look at the success of there UAVs. Its not only Pakistan but most of the world is interested in their equipment. So we might just see Pakistan 10-15 years from now procuring these half to be built in turkey and other half in Pakistan but as of now according to the news Pakistan is more into midget subs.

No. I

think for what it Is worth PN will possibly take design cues from Milden and Hangor and initiate in house building project. We have not set up a design section to just sit and drink tea. However we will get collaboration from Turkey mainly and China to achieve our ends. Even if we manufacture one sub every 3-4 years it will get the industry going. However our major hurdles are in the basic building materials department and-engines where China and Turkey can come in. Subsystems may well be Turkish based on their EU roots unless the Chinese come up with better ones. I think the future is in hybrid manufacturing with integration of multiple hardwares from different sources/ getting subassembly contracts. In essense the idea is to have indegenous solutions.
PN maybe interested but this maybe a pitch for joint/assisted manufacturing.
A

Sir Don't get me wrong but I believe pakistan don't have material (Steel) to build a submarine . How agosto S90 project failed to make even one submarine . Bringing the steel frm other countries wouldn't be economically viable

Pakistan wants to b a submarine designing and producing nation that's why

Sir Don't get me wrong but I believe pakistan don't have material (Steel) to build a submarine . How agosto S90 project failed to make even one submarine . Bringing the steel frm other countries wouldn't be economically viable

I think this shows a massive ignorance of sub building, economics and steel

The nuclear submarine is easy to detect, why does Pakistan want nuclear propulsion when its enemy is close to it?

Survivability of Pakistan's second strike. The Arabian Sea will have the Indian Navy's significant ASW capability looking for our subs.

China is the world's largest producer of steel, right next door, and also a strategic ally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom