What's new

Pakistan, India in water row

anilindia

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and India found themselves in a water rights row yesterday after the former objected to the construction of three hydropower projects by the latter on the Chenab River. The development comes on the heels of a partial award on India’s Kishanganga Dam by the International Court of Arbitration in Pakistan’s favour.

Sources said both countries are set to conduct talks over the three projects today. An Indian technical team, led by the water commissioner, will arrive in Lahore today to meet the Pakistani team, led by Indus Water Commissioner Asif Baig.

Sources said Pakistan had raised objections over the designs of the 850MW Rattle, 120MW Miyar and 48MW Lower Karnai hydropower projects after they were shared by India.

The 850MW Rattle plant was originally designed as a 690MW plant. Its size was increased following revised water flow studies by the Indian Central Water Commission. The project has been approved by the Indian Ministry of Environment.

New Delhi has awarded the contract for the Miyar plant on the right bank of the Chenab, near Udaipur town.

While the rival nations are expected to try and defuse the row over the three projects, water issues are expected to worsen as India plans to construct 155 hydropower projects on the Indus, Jhelum and Chenab rivers.

According to the Indus Waters Treaty signed in 1960, Pakistan was allowed to use the Indus, Jhelum and Chenab rivers and India to use Ravi, Sutlej and Beas

Pakistan, India in water row

Its our water ....

images

Why i got warning for this thread.....:hitwall: Webmaster please explain ???

Even i got waring , it's too much , even you can't criticizes on this forum ...... or all the time we have put praises for Pakistan ????

:woot: :woot: :woot:

Pakistanis have problem with every Dam on connected rivers ....... :omghaha: :rofl:

god has given us water. there is no question of yours or mine. we all need the water to survive

pakistani leaders tried to portray India as boogeyman for their water problems which is mainly due to the screwed up water develoment policies of their irrigation ministry. Just google if their agricultural/irrigation ministry has done anything in last 25 years..

They tried to take the game a bit furthur by challenging India on world forums. India called their bluff and took the case to ICJ where the recent case went in India's favour..

Now it is India's turn to return the pakistani favour ! I see it as a good development !! We should construct dam just for the heck of it even if we have electricity surplus !

these delaying tactics are getting boring. they cant build anything on their own on their side and keeps on objecting indian projects without any reason .

if these things continue India govt. should scrap IWT.

Back
Top Bottom