What's new

Pakistan Independence Day Video

Wishing all Pakistanis a great Independence Day and a prosperous and peaceful future!

Not a flame, but it looks to me that the great irony is that nearing Pakistan's Independence Day, Pakistan is on the verge of martial law and there is instability in the country with the talk of the President being removed, to top it all, the President is still a dictator.

Not a flame, but it looks to me that the great irony is that nearing Pakistan's Independence Day, Pakistan is on the verge of martial law and there is instability in the country with the talk of the President being removed, to top it all, the President is still a dictator.

No irony there. All of the above may be true, but we are still independent. You are confusing the flaws of the system/society we have in place with a lack of independence. Those flaws will only fix themselves with time. On the bright side, our economy has almost tripled in the last eight years from approximately sixty to a hundred and sixty billion, the per capita income has increased many fold, the industrial base has widened, not only in the last eight years, but also from almost being non-existent in 1947 (unlike our neighbor in the east). Tremendous progress in high tech sectors, albeit confined primarily to military usage.

Things could always be better, would have been better had it not been for the corruption and mismanagement of certain regimes in the past, but we are doing relatively well.

Agonistic Muslim, i agree, i was confusing myself, but there were talks of Pakistan again being labelled as a 'failed state'. Now that is against the very essence of freedom, that it transpired that a new and would be successful nation is born.

Though i am inclined to say that i dont trust the data that Pakistan releases about its economic growth AT ALL. It has happened numerous times that the dictator when in office was declaring all well, and the economy was up, but as soon as he was supplanted, the real truth came out, about how it was all a sham, regarding the economy. So i remain sceptical about Musharraf's claimed economic growth.

Wishing you all a very happy Independence day.

Could anybody post me a youtube link of Pakistani national anthem? I've never heard it & when I tried on Youtube I came with a lot of adultrated, DJ mixed gibberish. Same for Indian national anthem. Somehow with this whole sound mixing, techno-jazzy thing, the original, unadultrated version is lost somewhere.

Agonistic Muslim, i agree, i was confusing myself, but there were talks of Pakistan again being labelled as a 'failed state'. Now that is against the very essence of freedom, that it transpired that a new and would be successful nation is born.

Though i am inclined to say that i dont trust the data that Pakistan releases about its economic growth AT ALL. It has happened numerous times that the dictator when in office was declaring all well, and the economy was up, but as soon as he was supplanted, the real truth came out, about how it was all a sham, regarding the economy. So i remain sceptical about Musharraf's claimed economic growth.

His figures on the macroeconomic improvements in the economy are something I trust, more so than any from a possible future political leader if they run the economy the way they used to. The reason I trust his figures is because of the institutional reforms he initiated, and because he staffed his economic team with economists and bankers. The State bank of Pakistan was made autonomous, the same with the SECP, and the GoP is currently negotiating with the ADB for a 400 million dollar loan to start the next stage of reforms within the organization. Pakistan's economic turnaround has also been acknowledged by international financial institutions that have upgraded its debt rating, and for the most part validated the numbers released by the government.

Going back to the issue of comparisons with past dictators, I think that if you were to do that, you would also find that unlike them, and past democratic governments, Musharraf has allowed the media to flourish as the fourth pillar of the state. And if you accept that, then you cannot argue that his performance on the economic front would be the same as that of his predecessors, solely based on the fact that he is a "dictator".

Malay,

Do your political discussions, and discussions on wet dreams of Pakistan being a failed state in some other thread.

Thanks.

On the bright side, our economy has almost tripled in the last eight years from approximately sixty to a hundred and sixty billion,

No doubt you are doing well, but dont say ur economy tripled in 8 years. Just count how many % it works out to be pa.

Salam evryone. Happy 60th Independence Day, we all have come a long way.

Bushroda here are the links. You were right the national anthem has too much music in it and sounds quite weird:crazy: but here's the one with the lyrics

the guitar version.

And again Happy Independence Day.:pakistan:

Last edited by a moderator:

So what does that have anything to do with Pakistanis celebrating their own homeland? Learn the difference b/w emergency rule and ML. President can be a military general as long as he can deliver on governance. If he does not, then the nation will push for someone else to take over. In all of this, why is there an IRONY?? Pakistan is plenty independent even under a General...something that you will never understand because you have never been to Pakistan.

All of the things happening in my Pakistan are shaping a better future for tomorrow. As a Muslim and Pakistani, I will never lose hope for a better Pakistan regardless of what the most cynical of cynics paints for Pakistan. Upon Pakistan's birth, the country was faced with problems even greater than what we have to deal with now. Maybe the sacrifices given back then were not sufficient to help shape us in a manner befitting a dynamic Muslim country thus we have to go through some more challenges. In the end, mark my words, Pakistan and Pakistanis will take their place in the comity of nations as leaders, God willing!!!

Hi,

Pakistan zindabad. A very happy independence day to you all. God bless you all and God bless pakistan.

His figures on the macroeconomic improvements in the economy are something I trust, more so than any from a possible future political leader if they run the economy the way they used to. The reason I trust his figures is because of the institutional reforms he initiated, and because he staffed his economic team with economists and bankers. The State bank of Pakistan was made autonomous, the same with the SECP, and the GoP is currently negotiating with the ADB for a 400 million dollar loan to start the next stage of reforms within the organization. Pakistan's economic turnaround has also been acknowledged by international financial institutions that have upgraded its debt rating, and for the most part validated the numbers released by the government.
Yes, i agree to that, however i read some time back that some instituition, had downgraded Pakistan's debt rating on some account.

Anyways, i agree with what you say on the whole, Pakistan is afterall in the N-11 nations.

Going back to the issue of comparisons with past dictators, I think that if you were to do that, you would also find that unlike them, and past democratic governments, Musharraf has allowed the media to flourish as the fourth pillar of the state. And if you accept that, then you cannot argue that his performance on the economic front would be the same as that of his predecessors, solely based on the fact that he is a "dictator".
On this issue i disagree with you completely, the very recent showdown between the news channels of Pakistan and the government bore testimony to that. Musharraf has very wisely given the impression of a free and fair media and the crackdown was very severe, and incase of the Chief Justice case as well. And this is not to mention the crackdown on printed media. You will remember Dawn newspapers constant harrasement by the GoP as well.

Yes, i agree to that, however i read some time back that some instituition, had downgraded Pakistan's debt rating on some account.

Anyways, i agree with what you say on the whole, Pakistan is afterall in the N-11 nations.

Was this the downgrade you were referring to?
Pakistan's Outlook Cut by S&P on Security Concerns (Update4)

By Cherian Thomas and Farhan Sharif

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Pakistan's credit rating outlook was cut by Standard & Poor's to ``stable'' from ``positive'' on concern security is worsening in the South Asian nation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601091&refer=india&sid=axKRvRw2UEgM

"Worsening Security" is a legitimate concern for Pakistan's economy, and as long as those concerns remain, we wont be able to attract investment from the West in droves like China, India and the South East Asian countries have done. But that is a seperate issue and the downgrade does not reflect any "figure fudging" on Musharraf's part.

On this issue i disagree with you completely, the very recent showdown between the news channels of Pakistan and the government bore testimony to that. Musharraf has very wisely given the impression of a free and fair media and the crackdown was very severe, and incase of the Chief Justice case as well. And this is not to mention the crackdown on printed media. You will remember Dawn newspapers constant harrasement by the GoP as well.

Everything is relative Mishra sahib. Relative to what previous regimes have done with respect to media freedom, crackdowns and victimization, Musharraf is a Saint. I also disagree that the crackdown was as severe as you suggest. If he really wanted to he could have just yanked all the private channel licenses and shut them down. The fact that he didn't, the rapidity with which he backed out of the confrontation with the media, how he accepted the verdict of the SC, all differentiate him from his predecessors arrogance and intolerance, both military and political.

With respect to the Dawn issue, did you know that the group has recently been granted a license to operate a full fledged news channel? This decision benefits the group more than any government advertising in their newspaper ever could. They will now be able to diversify their source of revenues as well as minimize the impact of GoP advertising on their print business, if not become completely independent of it. Denying them a TV license would have been an easy, low profile way to continue to hurt the group. The fact that he didn't, so far, reflects positively upon him.

Back
Top Bottom