What's new

Pakistan has successfully tested RAAD cruise missile

H-4 & H-2 are SOWs based on SA raptor/mupsow..
RAAD is an ALCM which has more in common with Babur GLCM/SLCM than mid ranged stand of missiles like H series..

(Vid in link shows it hitting target);

Pakistan successfully tests Ra’ad cruise missile: ISPR - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Weight over 1100 KG.. Cam strike at land and sea.

Another (older) video ... Flies barely a few meters from surface ;

May be.... i am just stating facts as former my colleagues worked with your engineers. Problem is you like to label everything as indigenous where there it is far away from the truth. Just look why your engineers never considered moving it to JF-17 because our design was specific to Mirage/Cheetah. Once they do it on their own, lets talk then. Give credit where it is due instead of relabelling.

Not yet... our engineers had helped you out extend mupsow to become Raad. At this stage, my former colleagues noted there is nothing on the drawing board. Range is still 350km/500kg.
To comply with MTCR, all long range missiles are marketed as having only a 350km range.

Whereas in reality "when launched from the ground" the range is 350km +/-.

Launched at altitude is a different story.

May be.... i am just stating facts as former my colleagues worked with your engineers. Problem is you like to label everything as indigenous where there it is far away from the truth. Just look why your engineers never considered moving it to JF-17 because our design was specific to Mirage/Cheetah. Once they do it on their own, lets talk then. Give credit where it is due instead of relabelling.

How do you extend the range of a 100 mile stand off missile into an air launch terrain hugging cruise missile with 1100 kg payload and over 350 km range?

The mupsow/raptor was developed into H series with 140-50 km range ..

They don't even share similiar appearance much less specifications like range,payload,flight guidance etc.

As for indigenous .. No sir.. Not really.. We unlike our neighbours don't peddle BS stories about indigenousation etc.. Unless they are indigenous..

To some extent RAAD shares similarities with its long/er ranged (air/sub launched) cousin Babur .. Which of rumours are to be believed was created with help of failed Tomahawks that crashed in Pak territory in the 90s..when US launched em against AQ in Afghanistan ..

Your friends were most probably referring to H series SOWs (Stand Off Weapons) which are speculated to be based on SA Raptor/Mupsow..

How do you extend the range of a 100 mile stand off missile into an air launch terrain hugging cruise missile with 1100 kg payload and over 350 km range?

They don't even share similiar appearance much less specifications like range,payload,flight guidance etc.

As for indigenous .. No sir.. Not really.. We unlike our neighbours don't peddle BS stories about indigenousation etc.. Unless they are indigenous..

To some extent RAAD shares similarities with its long/er ranged (air/sub launched) cousin Babur .. Which of rumours are to be believed was created with help of failed Tomahawks that crashed in Pak territory in the 90s..when US launched em against AQ in Afghanistan ..

Your friends were most probably referring to H series SOWs (Stand Off Weapons) which are speculated to be based on SA Raptor/Mupsow..

I have heard that the LO tech on the Ra'ad was achieved in collaboration with Denel, how authentic that is? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure if you give it a thought then you'd realize that, vis-a-vis Ra'ad and Mupsow, we are comparing apples and oranges, as explained a few times before in this thread.

I have heard that the LO tech on the Ra'ad was achieved in collaboration with Denel, how authentic that is? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure if you give it a thought then you'd realize that, vis-a-vis Ra'ad and Mupsow, we are comparing apples and oranges, as explained a few times before in this thread.
The truth is generally "somewhere in the middle."

The H-2 and H-4 are basically license-built Denel Raptor-I and II, respectively. When the PAF first began testing them (2003-2004?) the South African-connection was stated plainly (albeit in a confusing manner thanks to the media).

As for the Ra'ad and its apparent connection to MUPSOW and Torgos. Well, it is important to keep in mind that neither the MUPSOW or the Torgos actually entered service anywhere. The MUPSOW was a technology demonstrator and the Torgos was a design offered to the export market.

So from the above we know (1) South Africa was more than willing to help on ALCM technology and (2) it was willing to sell that help to Pakistan. The way I look at it, the Ra'ad (as with many programs in Pakistan) was conceptualized to meet a specific set of needs, and in turn, Denel was contracted to support in clear areas where Pakistan didn't have expertise.

Does that mean the Ra'ad is a copy of MUPSOW or Torgos? No. But it seems Pakistan was able to get critical assistance and design inputs from Denel to make Ra'ad. And there's nothing wrong with that! Besides a handful of other countries, most powers take assistance where they can in order to (1) develop new systems and (2) build local capacity.

I just hope Pakistan continues seeking Denel's support, especially in other areas such as AAMs, SAMs, ATGMs, longer-range ALCM technology, etc.

The truth is generally "somewhere in the middle."

The H-2 and H-4 are basically license-built Denel Raptor-I and II, respectively. When the PAF first began testing them (2003-2004?) the South African-connection was stated plainly (albeit in a confusing manner thanks to the media).

As for the Ra'ad and its apparent connection to MUPSOW and Torgos. Well, it is important to keep in mind that neither the MUPSOW or the Torgos actually entered service anywhere. The MUPSOW was a technology demonstrator and the Torgos was a design offered to the export market.

So from the above we know (1) South Africa was more than willing to help on ALCM technology and (2) it was willing to sell that help to Pakistan. The way I look at it, the Ra'ad (as with many programs in Pakistan) was conceptualized to meet a specific set of needs, and in turn, Denel was contracted to support in clear areas where Pakistan didn't have expertise.

Does that mean the Ra'ad is a copy of MUPSOW or Torgos? No. But it seems Pakistan was able to get critical assistance and design inputs from Denel to make Ra'ad. And there's nothing wrong with that! Besides a handful of other countries, most powers take assistance where they can in order to (1) develop new systems and (2) build local capacity.

I just hope Pakistan continues seeking Denel's support, especially in other areas such as AAMs, SAMs, ATGMs, longer-range ALCM technology, etc.

South Africans helped us alot in H2/4 programs and then in the Raad project also and i believe to this day they are helping us in improving and we are very much thankful to that and should be. As they helped us in very critical projects and a time when we needed them. They even provided us with the R-Darter and in that some ToT also took place. And we hope to see the A-Darter in action on the JF-17.

And @denel the reason of not yet integrating Raad with JF-17 is not that we are capable enough, we have full tech of the Raad and your countrymen are still here to help us out in that, rather the issue i believe is more to do with some physical issues, meaning the size of the missile / ground clearance related issues which are being worked out.

South Africans helped us with IFR systems for Mirage and even for JF-17 project.

And you guys might be surprised that one time there was a very strong rumor that the new armed drone being made by Pakistan might be based on South African design with their assistance. The below drone was a very strong contender, but i think it was replaced with the ready to induct CH-3 instead to shorten the time period for induction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_Dynamics_Bateleur

I hope to see more cooperation in defence especially with South Africans as the systems they produce are top notch. And once again we are thankful to them for their help.

South Africans helped us alot in H2/4 programs and then in the Raad project also and i believe to this day they are helping us in improving and we are very much thankful to that and should be. As they helped us in very critical projects and a time when we needed them. They even provided us with the R-Darter and in that some ToT also took place. And we hope to see the A-Darter in action on the JF-17.

And @denel the reason of not yet integrating Raad with JF-17 is not that we are capable enough, we have full tech of the Raad and your countrymen are still here to help us out in that, rather the issue i believe is more to do with some physical issues, meaning the size of the missile / ground clearance related issues which are being worked out.

South Africans helped us with IFR systems for Mirage and even for JF-17 project.

And you guys might be surprised that one time there was a very strong rumor that the new armed drone being made by Pakistan might be based on South African design with their assistance. The below drone was a very strong contender, but i think it was replaced with the ready to induct CH-3 instead to shorten the time period for induction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_Dynamics_Bateleur

I hope to see more cooperation in defence especially with South Africans as the systems they produce are top notch. And once again we are thankful to them for their help.
Yep I also thought Pakistan was the "undisclosed country" who had shown interest in the Bataleur. Who knows, it might show up one day. The CH-3/Burraq is not a MALE design like Bataleur, Anka or CH-4.

Yep I also thought Pakistan was the "undisclosed country" who had shown interest in the Bataleur. Who knows, it might show up one day. The CH-3/Burraq is not a MALE design like Bataleur, Anka or CH-4.

Well you never know, but with the debut of CH-4 and as far as i am concerned i am seeing its performance in the field as very good which can be seen from the Iraqi military released videos of CH-4s targeting militants, i see Pakistan going the Chinese way. And somewhere recently it was posted that Pakistan has been offered or shown interest in the CH-5 project.

Chinese systems are getting good day by day.

for those who are concerned about integration of Raad with jf-17..

* we make both

* jf-17 communicates to weapons through Mil STD 1776 mux bus

* Raad is compatible with Mil STD 1776 mux bus

* Raad needs codes for weapon integration with the onboard weapons and mission computer and the radar

* We develop integrate and test weapons and their source codes for both and have a trial batch for that purpose.

problem solved.

for those who are concerned about integration of Raad with jf-17..

* we make both

* jf-17 communicates to weapons through Mil STD 1776 mux bus

* Raad is compatible with Mil STD 1776 mux bus

* Raad needs codes for weapon integration with the onboard weapons and mission computer and the radar

* We develop integrate and test weapons and their source codes for both and have a trial batch for that purpose.

problem solved.
As many other members have pointed out, the issue may be physical. Clearances and loads.

JF-17's origin was Super7, which was an improved Mig21, and now JF-17 is in a different league when compared to Mig21, similarly many ideas and technologies evolve into newer designs and systems and people who don't know the full story would argue that how is it possible to blah blah blah this and blah blah blah that, sometimes it's better to listen and keep quite and thank the other person.

raad may be heavily modified version of hy 2 or not but more or less its very dangerous specialy its pin point accuracy and terrein hugging flight according to paf sources

What does Ra'ad mean?

Another punch to India's already dead Cold Start Doctrine. Now time for India to invest in new RnD team after the old one retires, probably Samsung can help them.

Back
Top Bottom