Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
'Pakistan has one of the biggest talent pools for MMA in the world'
Emergence of MMA across Pakistan bodes well for aspiring athletes
AMAR AYAZUPDATED 3 minutes ago
It wasn’t too long ago that a child in every household wanted to be a star cricketer. “I want to be a bowler like Wasim Akram” or “I want to bat like Saeed Anwar” were common phrases. However, with the deterioration of our national team, those phrases have changed.

Due to a dearth of bona fide sporting heroes, children and teens now look towards other sports to find athletes to idolise. Names like Amir Khan (the boxer), Conor McGregor and Georges St. Pierre (GSP) are more likely to be heard in houses.

With the rise of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), McGregor, GSP and Anderson Silva are household names. Gyms and trainers are prevalent all across Karachi, providing training in the various forms of martial arts that MMA encompasses.

Its brutal nature aside, combat sports like MMA can be quite technical. Being aware of your surroundings and predicting your opponent’s next move trains fighters both physically and mentally.

58582f82bf4ce.jpg

Jamil Chandio officiates a demo between two of K7's talents

Training methods are developed, and customised, to appeal to men and women of varying ages seeking to get fighting fit, be it for personal development or professional aspirations. K7 Fitness and Kickboxing Academy is one such gym where Jamil Chandio is hoping to nurture talent that can not only prosper in Pakistan but also challenge globally.
Chandio hopes the establishment of Pakistan Top Team (PTT) and its affiliation with American Top Team, announced at the event, will benefit fighters across Pakistan. “Firstly we have to take care of fighters’ financial woes, so they can focus on training and make us proud,” Chandio reveals.

PTT and its affiliations will help fighters get sponsored to train and compete in tournaments which, Chandio believes, “will highlight the talent,” at Pakistan’s disposal.

5858310822edb.png

The event attracted men and women of all ages

In lieu of this ambition K7 recently attracted Marcos “Santa Cruz” Oliveira, during his trip to Pakistan, to come and gauge the talent at its disposal. Oliveira, who is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo black belt, wrestler and Mixed Martial Artist, has numerous titles to his name.

Apart from sampling, and loving, spicy Pakistani cuisine, the talent on display suitably impressed Oliveira across Pakistan.

Oliveira believes Pakistan is an undiscovered land when it comes to MMA saying, “Pakistan has one of the biggest potential talent pool for MMA in the world.” Coaching talent from across the world, Oliveira is of the impression that Pakistani fighters can win belts.

5857ca9a76aee.jpg

Jamil Chandio and Marco "Santa Cruz" Oliveira

Female fortitude
The presence of PTT will also extend to female trainers as they look to establish themselves, along with the multitude of women in various disciplines across Pakistan. “We have [female] pilots, they’re in the army and other sports, then why neglect this sport?” asks Anza Saqib, a trainer at K7.

58582b4cf2dcc.jpg

Anza Saqib's sparring demo

Ramisha Mir, who also trains at K7, claims, “We have over a hundred women who train… they range from pre-teens to sixties.” Training under Jamil Chandio for three years, Mir will join Saqib in training women at K7. Whether amateur or professional, Mir believes that PTT, K7 and other such institutions are providing an essential platform for women.

Saqib rues Pakistan’s failure to send female delegations to international sporting events. “We should focus on [sending females to international events], from various sports,” Saqib hopes, adding, “Sports is important for diplomacy.”

It is evident that men and women across Pakistan have taken to combat sports like MMA for personal and professional gains. In Pakistan, where other sports are trying to fill the void left behind by the demise of hockey, squash and domestic cricket, MMA is gaining popularity.

5857cd5f774f9.jpg

Marcos giving some tips to potential contenders

With support from international institutions like American Top Team and stars like Marcos Oliveira, local talent can look to consistently perform in international events. With enough domestic support and recognition, Pakistan has an opportunity to prop new sporting heroes onto absent podiums.

Video by Kamran Nafees

MMA or any other sport for that matter is gobshite in Pakistan. I would love to see more Pakistani athletes make a name for themselves but alas I guess we have more presting matters to take care of.

Pakistan's natural National Sport should be MMA/Boxing or Wrestling (Olympic) .
These sports require personal devotion , help with character building and positive mind

Sports like Cricket / Hockey or other sports are nice to have but focus should be on individual sports

Even Tennish /Squash fit the bill well success in these sports depent on will power and determination

Too often Pakistani schools only focus on silly Cardio jump up / down and strange badminton game
While folks on street mainly play cricket , and villages are acustomed to Hockey

MMA or any other sport for that matter is gobshite in Pakistan. I would love to see more Pakistani athletes make a name for themselves but alas I guess we have more presting matters to take care of.

Instead of fighting on streets we could fight in the ring..Pakistanis have too much taste for fight..

Instead of fighting on streets we could fight in the ring..Pakistanis have too much taste for fight..
I wish that were true, most people fight just to show off especially the youth I remember back in college guys were were supposed to be fighting did nothing but call as many of their friends as the could and just show off in front of the girls instead of just going man to man in the college parking lot (that happened very rarely). it was just a tactic to get attention.
"Everyone wants to be a gangster, until it's time to do gangster shit".

Most Pakistani and Indian genes are not good for fitness/body building compared to African and White genes. We have to train double hard to get the same results :(

Most Pakistani and Indian genes are not good for fitness/body building compared to African and White genes. We have to train double hard to get the same results :(

Its about training, British Pakistanis are all ready seen across in local MMA leagues in UK. Training trumps everything.

Gama-right-wrestling-with-Stanislaus-Zbyszko-in-Patiala-in-1928-and-beat-him-in-42-seconds.jpg

The-Great-Gama.jpg

History disagrees with you. No man beat him.

As for the rest, whites live in developed countries, food isn't an issue, and training opportunities abound. The sub-continent suffered colonisation for 200 years.
The blacks? Do tell me how many champions we see form Africa proper, or even gold medal winners in wrestling, judo etc. I can tell you none. The reason for it, the same thing i.e. diet and poor prospects. It's only the black folk in Western countries who get through, again they have the same opportunities as their white counterparts.
Pakistanis in the UK have gone onto world level and won in kickboxing, boxing and full contact karate.

Last edited:

Pakistani genes and indian genes are not the same thing. The Pakistani "genes" have already produced a world champion boxer, Amir Khan. If indians have the same genes as us then they would have produced at least 7 boxers of Amir Khan's calibre.

Last edited:
Pakistanis like to push a fighter image for themselves but ive always thought they would do great at business rather than fighting. Because of their opportunism. They want to take something out of everything. But fighter is opposite. He is a totally disinterested guy. Everything that he really wants he already has. He stands nothing to lose and all to gain.

This is great but seeing Pakistan participate in the Football world cup would be unreal.

Isnt the first picture is of Gama Pehalwan ??

Gama-right-wrestling-with-Stanislaus-Zbyszko-in-Patiala-in-1928-and-beat-him-in-42-seconds.jpg

The-Great-Gama.jpg

History disagree with you. No man beat him.

As for the rest, whites live in developed countries, food isn't an issue, and training opportunities abound. The sub-continent suffered colonisation for 200 years.
The blacks? Do tell me how many champions we see form Africa proper, or even gold medal winners in wrestling, judo etc. I can tell you none. The reason for it, the same thing i.e. diet and poor prospects. It's only the black folk in Western countries who get through, again they have the same opportunities as their white counterparts.
Pakistanis in the UK have gone onto world level and won in kickboxing, boxing and full contact karate.

Reactions: waz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom