ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Gets Serious About Its Tourism Pitch
Danielle Hyams, Skift

- Jan 30, 2020 1:30 am

Skift Take
Once thought of as one of the world’s most dangerous countries, Pakistan is back in the spotlight, but this time as a budding tourist destination. The government — led by former cricket star Imran Khan — has an amazing opportunity to leverage this interest into economic development, but in a country prized for its natural beauty, sustainable growth must be a priority.
— Danielle Hyams

Tweet
Tourists have long been drawn to Pakistan to experience a country that boasts rugged natural beauty, cultural richness, and unparalleled hospitality. But Pakistan’s massive tourism potential — touting everything from the world’s second-highest mountain to impressive archeological ruins dating back to the 10th century — has been overshadowed by safety concerns and regional instability.

Yet in recent years the country has been heavily invested in growing its tourism industry. And it’s working; Pakistan has been lauded by publications like Forbes and Condé Nast Traveler as a top destination for 2020, and even received a highly publicized visit from Prince William and Kate Middleton last October.

This past week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan talked about the rise of tourism, calling it “the great potential of Pakistan.”

Pakistan is eager to tap into that potential. The country is in the process of developing a marketing campaign, “Brand Pakistan” to promote its image abroad and will be hosting the World Tourism Forum Leaders Meeting later this year. Western corporations are paying attention. Radisson Hotel Group last year announced a deal for its first-ever hotel in Pakistan.

Still, tourism officials must deal with some of the nagging realities in Pakistan. The country struggles with a lack of infrastructure and numerous environmental concerns.

HIPPIE TRAIL TO THE RETURN OF BRITISH AIRWAYS
Tourism in Pakistan has fluctuated since the country gained independence from British rule in 1947. Official interest began in the 1960s when Pakistan was part of the legendary “Hippie Trail” from Europe to Asia.

After the Soviet invasion of neighboring Afghanistan and an increase in domestic security issues, tourism experienced a lull throughout the 1980s, only to rise again in the 1990s as Pakistan emerged as a destination for adventure seekers and mountain-climbing aficionados.

However, the tourism industry was virtually decimated following the 9/11 attacks in the U.S. as many Western governments issued severe travel advisories against the country, and it was widely viewed as one of the most dangerous in the world. After Pakistan joined the U.S. in its war on terror, the security situation further deteriorated as the government battled terrorist groups like the Taliban.

After a massive bomb exploded outside of a Marriott Hotel in the country’s capital, Islamabad, in 2008, British Airways ceased flying to the country.

But tourism has bounced back, and in 2019 — more than a decade since its departure — British Airways returned as well.

According to widely circulated data attributed to the Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation, the number of foreigners who visited Pakistan on a tourist visa in 2017 was 10,476. That number jumped 70 percent to 17,823 in 2018. During his talk at the World Economic Forum, Khan said that tourism doubled between 2018 and 2019. Attempts to reach the Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation were unsuccessful.

This rapid growth can be attributed to the Khan government, said Karim Uddin, owner of Active Tours Pakistan.

“Pakistan’s tourism future is very bright and progressive under this leadership,” he added.

Khan has made increasing tourism a cornerstone of his agenda. He’s prioritized improving security and relaxed Pakistan’s infamously arduous visa policy; citizens of 175 countries can now apply for a visa online.

A SOCIAL MEDIA SENSATION
Social media has also played an outsize role in facilitating tourism in Pakistan. Many well-known travel bloggers have visited, helping challenge long-held assumptions about the country.

“Traditional marketing is well and good, but there’s power to actually seeing other travelers like you visiting a country and showing something positive,” said travel blogger Alex Reynolds. ‘Social media legitimizes ideas over time; the more ‘normal’ tourists who visited Pakistan, enjoyed themselves, and shared about it on social media, the more the idea of Pakistan as a destination formed in people’s minds.’

https://skift.com/2020/01/30/pakist...7BoLo3Or_5ufXzAKLO3UNA3RkqiUekQBqN_LP5BkEpoQA

I noticed Indias are marketing their "Bubly India " on all Pakistani tourism videos
when you are watching Pakistani videos the fake news Bubly iNdia starts to play

Should be option to not allow that to happen

And they showed a white girl travelling along in India on ad , I was like hmm oh boy oh boy Talk about wrong advertising , considering the rape ratio in India specially white girls

When I saw Indian Tourism add started on Pakistani Tourism youtube video I was like what he f is this ? Youtube

I noticed Indias are marketing their "Bubly India " on all Pakistani tourism videos

And they showed a white girl travelling along in India on ad , I was like hmm oh boy oh boy Talk about wrong advertising , considering the rape ratio in India specially white girls

When I saw Indian Tourism add started on Pakistani Tourism youtube video I was like what he f is this ? Youtube

lol

that is so typical indian.

End of pak beauty. I travel a lot in pakistan and I dont want it to change. It's beautiful as it is

Are you ok?
P.S: how much of the litter in those tourist destinations is caused by your hands?

What's "bubbly" india?

Are you ok?
P.S: how much of the litter in those tourist destinations is caused by your hands?

What's "bubbly" india?
Yes I am just fine..clearly you have nit travelled much. Go to Philippines, vietnam, thailand what has been the impact of tourism. Whole islands destroyed by development. Whole eco systems changed. Recent Philippines closed down an island. Then the drugs sex trade and booze.

I think you are not thinking beyond money. Regarding litter I bet you cannot even educate your own family and extended family not to do it. So my dear brother it's not hard as we Pakistanis only understand dunda

Yes I am just fine..clearly you have nit travelled much. Go to Philippines, vietnam, thailand what has been the impact of tourism. Whole islands destroyed by development. Whole eco systems changed. Recent Philippines closed down an island. Then the drugs sex trade and booze.

I think you are not thinking beyond money. Regarding litter I bet you cannot even educate your own family and extended family not to do it. So my dear brother it's not hard as we Pakistanis only understand dunda

dude if we think like you we still be in the stone ages..

yes tourism has some side effects ... but there are plenty of examples like Dubai that managed tourism so well.

dude if we think like you we still be in the stone ages..

yes tourism has some side effects ... but there are plenty of examples like Dubai that managed tourism so well.
You are in the stone ages. Look at Bhutan...2hy not follow better model...like sheep you dont have to jump off a cliff

You are in the stone ages. Look at Bhutan...2hy not follow better model...like sheep you dont have to jump off a cliff

ok buddy what ever makes u happy..........

enjoy your donkey cart.

It's called management. Why take examples from nations who failed it and why not take examples from places like Singapore, Dubai, New Zealand and Most of Western Europe?

And incase you didn't notice, I live in a tourism hotspot and I know the "good" impact of tourism.

Regarding litter I bet you cannot even educate your own family and extended family not to do it. So my dear brother it's not hard as we Pakistanis only understand dunda

Regarding litter I can bet you I don't litter nor tolerate anyone doing in front of me, and I'm more likely to stop you and hand you the trash you left on the ground.

And is that your excuse for littering, to try and transfer the blame? How about taking responsibility of yourself first?

And if you cannot stop littering then just sit home and don;t ruin the livelihood of people in those tourism spots in my country, would you?
I have little to no tolerance for walking trash bags nor walking ashtrays.

It's called management. Why take examples from nations who failed it and why not take examples from places like Singapore, Dubai, New Zealand and Most of Western Europe?

And incase you didn't notice, I live in a tourism hotspot and I know the "good" impact of tourism.

Regarding litter I can bet you I don't litter nor tolerate anyone doing in front of me, and I'm more likely to stop you and hand you the trash you left on the ground.

And is that your excuse for littering, to try and transfer the blame? How about taking responsibility of yourself first?

And if you cannot stop littering then just sit home and don;t ruin the livelihood of people in those tourism spots in my country, would you?
I have little to no tolerance for walking trash bags nor walking ashtrays.
Typical desi attitude.
You talk big. Then tell me since 1947 why have you people not stopped littering???

All talk isnt it.
Dubai is a success looool. Ok..that's shows how much you know. I go there at least 3 times a year so I know dubai very well and if that's a success then good luck.

But why you want foreign tourism is dollars period. Then you will be screaming. We have lost our culture tradition. Prostitutes are everywhere and alcohol...etc etc etc.

Enjoy your dollars whilst you can. Your children wont see this pakistan and it's current beauty

See the impact of tourism on muree. The fights the abuse of tourist. Serving crap food. Run down hotels and they tell you we dont care. Selling a cup of boiled corn for 1000 rupees to foreigners. Nice impact on rozi. Now people shun muree. Look at the sh1t hole Naran and Khangan has become

Typical desi attitude.
You talk big. Then tell me since 1947 why have you people not stopped littering???

All talk isnt it.
Dubai is a success looool. Ok..that's shows how much you know. I go there at least 3 times a year so I know dubai very well and if that's a success then good luck.

But why you want foreign tourism is dollars period. Then you will be screaming. We have lost our culture tradition. Prostitutes are everywhere and alcohol...etc etc etc.

Enjoy your dollars whilst you can. Your children wont see this pakistan and it's current beauty

Carries an insecurity driven wannabe complex and wants to tell others they are talking big.
You don't even know what you are talking about mate, forget about your logic on littering and the examples you are trying to conjure up every time to escape "personal responsibility".

Tourism does not bring alcohol or prostitutes, the flawed society you live in does. Which tourist is responsible for places like heera mandi, or the existing prostitute culture in your society? Are you not watching prostitutes dancing on your tv in the shape of actors and dancers every single day?

As for the rest, your argument is invalid and no one is going to care. My country needs tourism and it's going to get it. (Period).

Back
Top Bottom