Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan friend or foe, asks US Congress panel
ANWAR IQBAL — UPDATED ABOUT AN HOUR AGO
WHATSAPP
0 COMMENTS
PRINT
WASHINGTON: Senior US lawmakers and their witnesses are gathering on Capitol Hill on Tuesday to once again ask Pakistan if it is America’s friend or foe.

The House Subcommittees on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade and Asia and the Pacific are jointly holding this hearing, hoping that it would help them determine how to deal with Pakistan, an old ally many in Congress no longer trust. The chairman of one of the subcommittees is a Republican lawmaker, Congressman Ted Poe, who never makes an effort to hide his dislike for Pakistan.

“This hearing will give members the opportunity to learn more about Pakistan’s longstanding ties to terrorist groups and allow for a more informed reassessment of US foreign policy priorities vis-à-vis Islamabad,” said Mr Poe while explaining why he had called the hearing.

Former US ambassador to Afghanistan and United Nations, Zalmay Khalilzad, is one of the three witnesses who have been asked to explain Pakistan and its policies to the lawmakers.

The other two witnesses are Bill Roggio, senior editor, Long War Journal, and Tricia Bacon, Assistant Professor, American University.

In a recent statement, Mr Khalilzad urged the United States to adopt a policy of total isolation against Pakistan and turn it into a “second North Korea” to force it to cooperate in Afghanistan.

“The United States has spent tens of billions of taxpayer dollars in aid to Pakistan since 9/11. Now, 15 years later, Pakistan’s military and intel services are still linked to terrorist organisations and little success has been made to stabilise the region,” said Congressman Matt Salmon, who heads the Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific.

“We must take a closer look at US goals, expectations and our aid spending in the region. In this hearing, we will discuss the Administration’s failed policy towards Pakistan and debate the best way forward,” he said.

Published in Dawn, July 11th, 2016

WHATSAPP
0 COMMENTS
PRINT

Gathering of the clowns & the head clown is yes Poe followed by Cheif Guest clown Afghani origin Zalmay... don't miss the show :)
Ted is known anti Pakistan , followed by the afghani zalmay

These type of programs held time after time...nothing important.

You are either with us or against us .... Classic American problem !!!! @gambit

But I do like to know what is going to happen.

USA need to allow its friends their way of life if you don't like their way of life change the friends. Why try to change their way of life ;)

A lot :rofl:

It's a loaded panel, meant to get a desired outcome for those that are anti-Pakistani. One need only look at the panelists and the hosts to know that this is nothing more than a farce.

It is like a nazi, asking another nazi, what he thinks of Jews and their "motives".

Pakistan doesn't need to justify itself to a foreign nation, which has made it clear it doesn't give a damn about Pakistani concerns. Frankly, I think Pakistanis would be happier if the US kept its aid to itself.

My friends over at @CENTCOM How do you explain this one? It seems these completely dense politicians are making your jobs harder.

Last edited:
You are either with us or against us .... Classic American problem !!!! @gambit

But I do like to know what is going to happen.

USA need to allow its friends their way of life if you don't like their way of life change the friends. Why try to change their way of life ;)

A lot :rofl:

Soon Indian will face it too.

No May dear. We have shown that in past and we will continue it in future.

We need our space and we always get it. No wonder most of countries are ok with it. USA will too be ok with it

Logic is if you are RIGHT you don't have to convince your friends to help you. They do help you. But when you ask them to follow you cause you think it'd right then there comes the problem

No May dear. We have shown that in past and we will continue it in future.

We need our space and we always get it. No wonder most of countries are ok with it. USA will too be ok with it

It is not the case with US, Russia respected your unbiased or anything your call approach but as you mention above by yourself that it is always with us or against us with US.

Logic is if you are RIGHT you don't have to convince your friends to help you. They do help you. But when you ask them to follow you cause you think it'd right then there comes the problem

Once you complete the task they abandon you like they don't even know you, and when the other one do the same they scream their @ss off.

We as a nation fed up with these @ssholes and we want to get rid of them.

It is not the case with US, Russia respected your unbiased or anything your call approach but as you mention above by yourself that it is always with us or against us with US.

Once you complete the task they abandon you like they don't even know you, and when the other one do the same they scream their @ss off.

We as a nation fed up with these @ssholes and we want to get rid of them.
If I may comment on your nation and you like to talk. Then read below or just ignore me.

- problem with Pak is you are too India centric. You forget all others.
- don't take sides. That didn't helped you so no point in assuming it will in future ( Ind-Pak ) wars
- make your own way. And try to gather all your friends for higher purpose.
- if India was in Pak location gadwar would have been "Pak project" with partnership from China and Iran and customers as India, USA & Japan. I know you think it's overrated. But economic interests keep the peace
- we work with the nations who are hostile to each other. But their relations are their. Ours are 1 to 1. So they are fine with us. And we may at some point with economic benifit might reduce hostility between them. Who knows.

- Pak must use its possiton ( geo ) for it's growth and not for the benefits of others

you mean to say drone attacks, do this and that kinda thing..( reality check is needed)

on topic: India has lot to offer to US and with growing economy relation between US and India will go high. Pakistan is the victim of its own wrong doings and blaming US is evident to hide the failures.

A festival of clowns nothing more. What can they do that they havnt done already. They already played out all of their cards.

A festival of clowns nothing more. What can they do that they havnt done already. They already played out all of their cards.
They are defacing and degrading your nation on world platform !!! Should be good reason to defend yourself there ??? Isn't it ???

How's the "Original" North Korea working out for them. I heard Kim Jong-Un does everything the Americans say. pushing Pakistan would further shift it into China's camp and also put American eggs in the India basket for the foreseeable future, not to mention dragging the Afghan war further beyond 2020

If I may comment on your nation and you like to talk. Then read below or just ignore me.

- problem with Pak is you are too India centric. You forget all others.
- don't take sides. That didn't helped you so no point in assuming it will in future ( Ind-Pak ) wars
- make your own way. And try to gather all your friends for higher purpose.
- if India was in Pak location gadwar would have been "Pak project" with partnership from China and Iran and customers as India, USA & Japan. I know you think it's overrated. But economic interests keep the peace
- we work with the nations who are hostile to each other. But their relations are their. Ours are 1 to 1. So they are fine with us. And we may at some point with economic benifit might reduce hostility between them. Who knows.

- Pak must use its possiton ( geo ) for it's growth and not for the benefits of others
I agree with you but USA is fighting the wars of others WHY?
USA could not success to develop Pakistan and now she is trying to stop the developments in Pakistan.
USA is play character more than India against Pakistan,

It's a loaded panel, meant to get a desired outcome for those that are anti-Pakistani. One need only look at the panelists and the hosts to know that this is nothing more than a farce.

It is like a nazi, asking another nazi, what he thinks of Jews and their "motives".

Pakistan doesn't need to justify itself to a foreign nation, which has made it clear it doesn't give a damn about Pakistani concerns. Frankly, I think Pakistanis would be happier if the US kept its aid to itself.

My friends over at @CENTCOM How do you explain this one? It seems these completely dense politicians are making your jobs harder.
Aid is just one aspect,if you look at your export figures you will know,whats at stake.

Back
Top Bottom