What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

The New M-7 software upgrade package for the F16s apparantly offers multiple advanced capabilities. Do we know what these are? And no PAF dosnt have it yet.
When the news came, I was about to check out but on second thought, didn't want to because we're not gonna have it.

1.jpg

New or Used?

Both I think.

If I was in the PAF, I'd even look at used -15's. Japan and Saudis are about to retire like 200 of them. But even -16's in numbers isn't bad. 120 / 150 F-16's (new and used), with 150 JFT block II and 100 JFT block III's, with 60-80 J-31 and potentially 60-80 J-11's or 16's for the Naval role, supported by home built AWACS, two tiers of long range SAMS / area denial systems would pretty much complete the defensive posture for many years to come. This would be about 500+ jets and a heck of a defensive force!

Both I think.

If I was in the PAF, I'd even look at used -15's. Japan and Saudis are about to retire like 200 of them. But even -16's in numbers isn't bad. 120 / 150 F-16's (new and used), with 150 JFT block II and 100 JFT block III's, with 60-80 J-31 and potentially 60-80 J-11's or 16's for the Naval role, supported by home built AWACS, two tiers of long range SAMS / area denial systems would pretty much complete the defensive posture for many years to come. This would be about 500+ jets and a heck of a defensive force!

Well if this is the case then I would want PAF to have used Block 60/62 if available.. At least they will be equipped with latest technology. F15s might not be on offer. But if PAF consider this option, it would be much better if budget allows.

Well if this is the case then I would want PAF to have used Block 60/62 if available.. At least they will be equipped with latest technology. F15s might not be on offer. But if PAF consider this option, it would be much better if budget allows.
THE ODDS OF PAF INDUCTING MORE F16S THIS YEAR IS SLIM, AND INDUCTING ANOTHER PLATFORM IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY

Well if this is the case then I would want PAF to have used Block 60/62 if available.. .

Block 60 is almost the latest edition in the -60 family. There are no used ones as these were first delivered to Israel and UAE just a few years ago. Plus these would be super expensive for the PAF. The best bang for the buck is used block 40's with upgrades (Advanced radar, etc). These can readily defend your sovereignty against the Indian threat (that's the only real threat the PAF has, even that might fade away of both the countries can get involved with serious trade).

Block 60 is almost the latest edition in the -60 family. There are no used ones as these were first delivered to Israel and UAE just a few years ago. Plus these would be super expensive for the PAF. The best bang for the buck is used block 40's with upgrades (Advanced radar, etc). These can readily defend your sovereignty against the Indian threat (that's the only real threat the PAF has, even that might fade away of both the countries can get involved with serious trade).
I think existing block 52 and MLU'd can be upgraded to Block 60 level. Only AESA radar is the addition.

I think existing block 52 and MLU'd can be upgraded to Block 60 level. Only AESA radar is the addition.

The cost of such upgrades would negate the cost effectiveness of these jets and will eliminate the "bang for the buck" deal as its a much used platform.
A much better option is to order block 52 with options of AESA. The difference in a Block 52 new with AESA wouldn't be as much compared to a Block 40 being upgraded to a Block 60 level.

F-16 Block-60 is not just a AESA radar its a very different aircraft internally as well with different data bus, Electronic warfare and IRST along with improved performance specs. The APG-80 radar used on the Block-60 is out of production hence the new aircraft UAE is getting are all Block-61 with Northrop Grumman's Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR).

Its too early for Pakistan to get its F-16s upgraded with AESA but if it ever wanted to, the option it would have would be to get them upgraded to F-16V (Viper). The Viper upgrade is the latest F-16 upgrade project and includes the SABR AESA. I think Taiwan and Singapore are getting the Viper upgrades.

F-16V Is Latest 'Viper' Variant for Fighter Market | Defense Media Network

Both I think.

F15s are for air superiorty mostly, unless I'm wrong.

Pakistan right now has a greater internal issue, for which multi role crafts, like F16, are needed. I also don't forsee Pakistan and India fighting in the next decade, by which time those F15s will be aging. So that's just waste of money.

Rather invest that money into our air programs, or make jf17 better or purchase used f16s. No need to introduce a new kind into fleet.

Also Pakistan isn't getting J11.

Back
Top Bottom