What's new

Pakistan Army | News and Discussions

Bt5GnQTCQAAlaW-.jpg:large

Bt5GQiICYAEQing.jpg:large

Hey as I was coming back from office I saw Army Truck and few Hilux and soldiers were carrying lot off weapons but they were wearing old Khaki uniforms

Pakistan Appoints New Defense Secretary

Aug. 6, 2014 - 03:49PM | By USMAN ANSARI

bilde

Mohammad Alam Khattak addresses a press conference in Peshawar on June 28, 2008. (TARIQ MAHMOOD/AFP)
ISLAMBAD
— Pakistan has appointed a new defense secretary, Mohammad Alam Khattak, a retired lieutenant general. His predecessor, Asif Yasin Malik, stepped down this week after two years on the job.
Khttak's appointment was approved by the Prime Minister on Monday and he is expected to take up the position soon.
Usually filled by a retired senior military officer, the secretary’s post involves coordinating between the military and civilian leadership.
Khattak retired in October as the commander of the Quetta-based Southern Command. From 2009 to 2011, he served as the Chief of Logistics Staff at Army Headquarters in Rawalpindi. His frontline experience involved command of an infantry division and heading the paramilitary Frontier Constabulary in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa as the Inspector General, Frontier Corps (IGFC).
As IGFC, Khattak drew some controversy for "talking with the extremists ... to try to get them to see reason," said Brian Cloughley, former Australian defense attache to Islamabad.
"There wasn't a hope of that, and there was some criticism of him at the time. It's always easy to be wise after the event, and this was realized by the [Chief of Army Staff], and he was promoted and did well," Cloughley said.
He said he believes Khattak will perform well in his new job and there are unlikely to be any surprises.
"He seems to get on well with the civilian bureaucracy, and is obviously in favor with the government, so things should go smoothly. I don't think he'll rock any boats. But the position of Secretary will always remain advisory,” he said.■
Email: uansari@defensenews.com.

Pakistani Army Chief Visits Australia

Aug. 8, 2014 - 05:44PM | By USMAN ANSARI |

ISLAMABAD — Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Gen. Raheel Sharif, wrapped up a four-day visit to Australia.

On the August 5-8 vist, Sharif discussed regional security and defense cooperation with Australia's defense minister David Johnston and defense secretary Dennis Richardson. He also met Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade Secretary Peter Varghese, and Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop.
Among the topics discussed were "Pakistan’s security perspective in connection with its ongoing Operation in North Waziristan," its "overall counter terrorism contributions not only within Pakistan but for the entire region and beyond," and its counter-IED expertise, according to the Pakistan military's media relations branch, Inter Service Public relations (ISPR).

Sharif also talked about strengthening defense ties with Australian Army Chief Lt. Gen. David Morrison, then took part in a roundtable discussion hosted by Australia's Vice Chief of Defence Forces, Vice Adm. Ray Griggs, along with the other service chiefs and senior Ministry of Defence officials.

A former Australian defense attaché to Islamabad, Brian Cloughley, expressed initial surprise that Australia had invited Sharif, "as Canberra much favors India and is trying to forge closer economic ties, including supply of uranium."

He says Australia's tilt towards India may hamper development of its bilateral relationship with Pakistan.
"There had been talk of Pakistan and Australia cooperating over drones, but given the India card I don't see that happening. New Delhi would object vociferously," he said.

Cloughley described the visit as "routine" and said he would have been surprised had "anything substantive" come from the visit.

Pakistan analyst Claude Rakisits, a non-resident Senior Fellow at the Washington-based Atlantic Council, said Australia wants to build on an emerging relationship.

"During the decade-long involvement in Afghanistan, Australia built up an important military relationship with Pakistan, particularly, but not solely, in the area of counter-insurgency,” Rakisits said. “Australia would want to continue to build on that as we move on to a post-2014 situation in Afghanistan.”

He added, "It is important note that after the US, Australia is Pakistan's most important partner in counter-insurgency training."

He says efforts to improve the bilateral relationship have been going on for some years now.

"Australia and Pakistan have had high-level strategic talks, both official and 1.5 track, for about five years and these have been an opportunity to have an exchange on issues of common interest to both countries. I was involved in the 1.5-track dialogue a couple of years ago and I found them very frank and a window on the Pakistan military's views of the world."

Rakisits says there is obvious motive for Australia wanting to be on good terms with Pakistan.

"While the Australia-Pakistan relationship is not that deep in general, Canberra wants to keep all channels of communication open with an increasingly important country in a region which is so critically important to peace and stability in the world,” he said.

Hey as I was coming back from office I saw Army Truck and few Hilux and soldiers were carrying lot off weapons but they were wearing old Khaki uniforms
Which Area ? Which Regiment ? Did they Wear also Combat gear ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom