What's new

Pakistan allows US to inspect Harpoons

s90

Reaction score
04 Sep, 2009.

WASHINGTON: Pakistan has agreed to hold inspection of US-made Harpoon missiles in its arsenal to dispel allegations that it has modified them to target India, says a senior American official.

‘We have raised the issue with the Pakistani government. The (Pakistan) government has responded with an agreement in principle for mutually agreed inspections,’ US Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs P.J. Crowley told reporters.

‘This is something that we take very seriously … in this particular case, we have some concerns,’ he added.

Between 1985 and 1988 the Ronald Reagan administration delivered 165 Harpoon missiles to Pakistan.

Earlier this week, The New York Times reported that Pakistan had modified the anti-ship missile to enhance its striking capabilities against India. The report also accused Pakistan of modifying US-made P-3 surveillance aircraft.

Pakistan has rejected the report as ‘totally inaccurate’, urging the US media to focus on helping Pakistan to fight the common enemy of terrorism instead of making false allegations.

Also at the State Department, spokesman Ian Kelly told a briefing that the Obama administration recently negotiated an agreement with Pakistan to deal with such disputes.

‘We take these allegations very seriously. We have engaged the government of Pakistan at the highest levels,’ he added.

‘We recently negotiated an agreement in principle to establish mutually agreed inspections to address possible modifications to any arms that we’ve transferred, and we’ve notified Congress of potential violations of obligations entered in pursuant to the Arms Control Export Control Act to ensure that key leaders are provided information on US efforts to address them.’

The next scandal will be " they painted the harpoon missile in Green and white which is violation of US law and our contract".

I don't believe the NYT article. It's easy to write a story and hide behind unnamed sources and claim they received "classified information" from an unnamed source.

Once the inspections are complete, I'm confident Pakistan will be found in compliance.

Newspapers such as the NYT can print whatever it wants with no repercussions. It's sad that a once respected newspaper can stoop so low to make up story's with no facts or proof.

I am pretty confident that Pakistan will come out of clean from this. But what if they really modify the harpoon missile what will be the reaction of US for this. Are we going to get some arm Sanctions etc?

The whole Harpoon issue is a canard, a made up issue - the NYT article itself says that there is a subtext to this issue, which is to put a spanner in the works as far as Pakistani updating of the technology of the nuclear arsenal is concerned.

I think it was absolutely the right response to tell the US that if these are their concerns (that Harpoon missiles have been modified), then they are welcome to examine the inventory.

The US will not issue a clean bill of health so to speak, they will instead raise a related issue - again, no need for Jasbaati responses - these thirsty will return even thirstier from going to the spring to drink water.

i think big misstake for PAK we dont need to let them allow to check any thing
as we have self respect. How many time PAK said to them stop DROANS ATTACKES ON PAK but they dont listen pak so we should talk and look other way.........................

i think its a great idea. let them see that we have done nothing wrong and that we are far ahead of 1980's technology.

But US was able to find WMDs in Iraq!!!!!

So if there is any hidden agenda behind this news, US will find a modified Harpoon in Pakistan very easily.

They might be coming with inspection results already printed and filed in their bags.

This seems to be another 'great' find by NYT, since Pakistan's goal post have been goaly less for some time. Scoring long range goals are quite easy.

hidden agenda behind this news

Pakistan trying to get drone tech from US beside other items.......
Just the thought is devastating for "some". The idea is to show Pak will & can reverse engineer or figure out technology & so forth. Even if it is found otherwise, it still leaves an impression in the minds of those whose approval is needed. The idea is to clutter the minds and you will always get the desired results no matter what.

Screw US technology and go for china.

Friend i agree with you. Chinese technology far better than american technology. Am i right? Anyway i dont think america should tell pak what to do. They given pak weapons and its upto pakistan whatever they do with it. Cheers.

All they want to know that is it Chinese of North Korean tech but its neither it was upgrades by ACW by our own engg.

Friend i agree with you. Chinese technology far better than american technology. Am i right? Anyway i dont think america should tell pak what to do. They given pak weapons and its upto pakistan whatever they do with it. Cheers.

Hello buddy; How is your vacation?

Welome back, still doing your usual B.S. talk?

A little friendly reminder, bad humor can be costly !! :smitten:

:pakistan::china:

Back
Top Bottom