What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

if we have a acces of russian arms from ukraine we must consider mi 35 hind it best of the best and proven its worth and it is low cost and many countried around the world uses it including some from europe

Any actual pic of our IL-78 yet?? and any news on the kc-135 ??

Any actual pic of our IL-78 yet?? and any news on the kc-135 ??

Brother in these days with tension on the border any friendly trying to capture iL-78's pictures will be considered as agent from across the border...so right now its very difficult;)

Salam.

In my opinion, the major weak link in the PAF at the moment is logistics. A US military report describe the Pakistan air force as suffering from a 'long-term airlift shortfall'.

Currently the C-130 forms the backbone of the PAF transport fleet with 20-30 aircraft, all of which are the earliest models. Many of these aircraft are 30+ years old, and both airframe and powerplant will have amassed a lot of cycles and hours. During their service, they have seen little in the way of upgrade apart from the basic necessities of overhaul at PAC Kamra.

The C-130 has a role that no other aircraft in the PAF fleet can perform. It can take off from short unprepared runways, whether they be in the mountains of the north or the deserts of baluchistan whilst carrying a 20 ton payload. It has proved its worth time and time again, ferrying supplies to earthquake hit zones, flooded areas, and when the need has taken it, as a bomber!

Despite the crucial role the transport aircraft plays in maintaining logistical support for troops an civilians, the Pakistan govt. and in my opinion the Air force have neglected and even ignored the need for a replacement and have instead focused on the offensive/defensive capability. The last transport aircraft to join the PAF was the C-235. This aircraft can barely carry 4 tons, and even then only 4 were ordered!

Some may say, that the IL-78 with fill this niche in its dual role as air refueler and cargo. Incorrect. The IL-78 lacks the flexibility the C-130 offers. It requires longer runways and has longer turn around times. Even so, the IL-78 the PAF will receive are, surprise surprise used airframes!

In order to fill this gap, the PAF needs to prioritise acquiring transport aircraft in order to meet this shortfall, even if that means putting the J-10 on hold.(Not the F-16. That's too important!)

What are the options?

1. More C-130. New-built C-130s are out of the question. They have a fly-away cost of $40m. However, Pakistan could try and persuade the US to extend support and spares through the Excess defence Articles program, seeing how the US is in the process of acquiring newer C-130s and C-17s. Being an "ally" in the "war on terror" we should be able to twist her arm and get a good deal.

2. AN-70. An aircraft like this would be ideal. 40 ton payload, it would do everything plus more than the c-130. However, it's still under development, and considering the financial constraints the Pak govt is facing, this is not on.

3. A400M. Engine problems. Suffering long-term delays. Very capable but very expensive. Ruled out.

4. C-235. Would have an advantage over others due to commonality. However limited payload, makes this a weak alternative.

5. C-295. good range/payload capabilities and it's smaller variant is already in service. Good price. Still not good enough uplift capabilities. (P.S Should the crap hit the fan and you have engine problems, you can easily strip the Pratts off PIA ATR42s ;-) )

6.C-27J. Excellent price and short takeoff performance. Can also lift slightly more than the C-295. However still a big range/payload gap between this and C-130.

I haven't included any jet powered transport purely because of the cost in terms of maintenance and acquisition. They also generally tend to be more susceptible to FOD and have poorer short field performance.

In conclusion, PAF should try and go for excess C-130s from the US as a short-term replacement of the work horses already in service due to commonality and minimal training and maintenance costs. If not possible then a dozen of C-27J or C-295 would be ideal.

Your comments, opinions are welcome.

I'll stop dreaming now!

P.S I just noticed that in the past 2 years, this thread has had just 33 replies, many of which are totally off topic. Goes to show the importance of logistics in eyes of the public. Compare that to the F-16/JF-17 threads. Shame really :-(

Last edited:
imiakhtar...well i agree with u entirely...cuz i guess our airforce neglects a major part of any capable fighting force and that is logistical airlifting!! but the problem seems to be that we are already lagging behind in fighter acquisations....we missed the whole decade without any significant purchase of any type for our airforce....and a decade in aviation is like a century....on the other hand i believe that india had a very fruitful 90s....and we are playing catch up....the problem is having limited resources means u have 2 compromise on something....if we compromise on fighters it makes us look weak to our enemies however if we compromise on logistics we face a logistical nightmare that our enemies have experienced in the last decade....so i guess our military think tanks are trying to the best of there capability to use limited resources fruitfully...and u have 2 understand one thing all our CAS are ex fighter pilots...and a fighter pilot will never understand that logistics is equally as important... ok maybe i might be giving my opinion but i guess this might be somewhat true....

Salam.

In my opinion, the major weak link in the PAF at the moment is logistics. A US military report describe the Pakistan air force as suffering from a 'long-term airlift shortfall'.

Despite the crucial role the transport aircraft plays in maintaining logistical support for troops an civilians, the Pakistan govt. and in my opinion the Air force have neglected and even ignored the need for a replacement and have instead focused on the offensive/defensive capability. The last transport aircraft to join the PAF was the C-235. This aircraft can barely carry 4 tons, and even then only 4 were ordered!

Some may say, that the IL-78 with fill this niche in its dual role as air refueler and cargo. Incorrect. The IL-78 lacks the flexibility the C-130 offers. It requires longer runways and has longer turn around times. Even so, the IL-78 the PAF will receive are, surprise surprise used airframes!

In order to fill this gap, the PAF needs to prioritise acquiring transport aircraft in order to meet this shortfall, even if that means putting the J-10 on hold.(Not the F-16. That's too important!)
w.salaam, great post sir!
I do agree that transport aircraft seem to be being overlooked, but transport aircraft cannot defend Pakistan's airspace! I disagree that J-10 should be put on standby. If anything, F-16 and Erieye should be put on standby - there are Chinese equivelants being built for PAF as we speak.

I think PAF are waiting for China to have a good transport ready, the PLA are also in need of one.
PAF have already ordered the KJ-200 AEW&C system, which should be based on the Shaanxi Y-8 cargo aircraft: http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/airlift/y8.asp
I think PAF should procure this aircraft due to commonality with the KJ-200 (designated ZDK-03 by PAF). Another option is the Y-9: http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/airlift/y9.asp This is a "substantially redesigned" Y-8 currently in development. PAF may be waiting for this aircraft to finish development, it is bigger than Y-8 and has more cargo space so it is more suitable as a cargo aircraft than the Y-8.

Last edited:
how many transpot aircraft does the PAF have and our we buyig any new ones....or r we upgrading any of our C-130s rom the 60s era???

For paratroopers C-235 is a better plate form & for cargo Y-9 is good for Pakistan Army and PAF.

Hi,

Could Some one please Tell me how many C-130 pakistan operates and do they have orders or wishes to purchase any more.

Cheers

Growler thanks again for the great videos!!

'Avionic upgrade of C-130 progressing'

ISLAMABAD-A graduation ceremony was held at Transport Conversion School (TCS) Pakistan Air Force Base, Chaklala.
Air Marshal Hifazat Ullah Khan, Vice Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force was the chief guest on the occasion. The 2nd Multi Engine Course, 28th Navigation Course and 19th Flight Engineer’s Course graduated on the occasion.

Two Nigerian Officers of 19th C-130 Aircraft Commander Course also completed their training successfully. Speaking on the occasion, the chief guest said, “Airpower plays a major role in determining and projecting national power. During war, the air transport component of air power has an extremely critical role to play. Especially, for air forces with limited resources and large frontiers to defend, the tactical transport operations constitute a force multiplier.
Rapid deployment of air assets of a tactical air force, from one theatre of war to another, ensures effective and efficient utilisation of its war potentials.”

He further said, “The ongoing up gradation of PAF’s transport element speaks of the weightage given to this all-important aspect by the Air Staff.The avionics up grade of the C-130 aircraft is progressing at a good pace. Induction of IL-78 Tanker and Transport aircraft is about to materialise. In order to provide a constant stream of well-trained aircrew to fully assimilate this phenomenal expansion, the role and task of TCS would enhance manifold.I am sure that TCS will uphold its rich tradition of training aircrew inline with the highest standards of PAF.”

Later, Air Marshal Hifazat Ullah Khan awarded certificates and trophies to graduating aircrew. Best performance trophy in second multi-engine Course went to Flying Officer Salman Safdar Cheema, best performance in 28th Navigation Course was awarded to Pilot Officer Imad Tariq and trophy for Best performance in19th flight engineer’s course was given to Senior Technician Abdul Qadir.

Why do the Indians get to have the C-130 J?
Maybe some of the older Ilyushin and some of the prop. Antonovs could also do the job?

Why do the Indians get to have the C-130 J?
Maybe some of the older Ilyushin and some of the prop. Antonovs could also do the job?

perhaps it is a matter of setting there foot firm in the US market!
with so many deals with the US they will come into a position to force the americans to support them in ceratin matters or atleast turn a blind eye!

regards!

Back
Top Bottom