What's new

Pakistan Afghanistan Border Fencing 1700 KM complete

Pakistan Says Erected First Part Of Afghan Border Fence
May 10, 2007

4652E20F-0712-4EC0-B386-6E66925D86B2_w650_r1_s.jpg

Pakistan is fencing part of the border to prevent militants from crossing (epa) May 10, 2007 -- Pakistan says it has erected what it calls the first section of a security fence on the Afghan border.

Military spokesperson Major General Waheed Arshad said 20 kilometers of fencing in North Waziristan's Lwara Mundi area had been completed.

Islamabad has said it plans to erect a fence along 35 kilometers of its porous 2,500 kilometer border to prevent Taliban militants from crossing between the two countries.

In April, Afghan and Pakistani troops clashed in a border area when Afghan troops tore down part of the fence being erected there.

Afghanistan, which has never recognized the border, opposes the fence.

https://www.rferl.org/a/1076383.html
It was not done then. It was abondonded. The one that start in recent history is 2017/2018.

Are the supporting structures also complete? Without the monitoring and support, fence would be useless. I hope the full scale monitoring is activated.

ALLAH PAK helped us alot. 343 Forts were completed while 161 Forts were under construction till 22nd Feb 2020 ( Dawn News quoting ISPR ) > almost 6 months passed after that . While border Posts ( smaller than Forts ) are other than that . FC ( KP and Balochistan ) strength has been increased as well .

Last edited:
First let's complete the border with Afghanistan

Then we need to look to make additional border infrastructure like border towers, trenches, even mined areas

Most important next step is to have Iranian border completely fenced alongside border infrastructure

Needs to be done ASAP

You don’t know how long I have been shouting for this fence. During the presidency of Obama when I wasn’t even a member of this forum, but supporting the idea of a fence on another sister forum of PDF. Pakistan was getting pressured and bombed by US drones back in the day. I was a firm supporter of the fence. I was a lone voice among a sea of pessimism. It makes me feel very proud today.

They used to laugh at me back in the day. Even the staunch patriots used to think this was simply unachievable due to difficult terrain. Even the Americans weren’t able to fence their border with Mexico. How would Pakistan with limited resources be able to fence such a difficult mountainous terrain? Impossible.

Here we are today. Only a handful of members of the old sister forum are here today. It would have been nice to tell the naysayers that I feel vindicated.

Last edited:
Are the supporting structures also complete? Without the monitoring and support, fence would be useless. I hope the full scale monitoring is activated.
i was also thinking the same. how much force will be required to carry out patroling along the fence? do we have that much manpower? what systems wil be used to monitor the fence 24 /7? are there any systems in place to raise alarm if the fence is breached at any place? any well trained and well equipped terrorist can cut through the fence at night time and enter into pak. it wil definitely reduce the entry of terrorists into pak but with planning they still can make across this fence.

It started in 2007 and is being constructed in phases. The date you've quoted is another phase.
no it didnt the project you mentioned was just for alwara mandi,,,Pakistan army had to retreat from alwara mandi , wacha bibi areas due to heavy losses in upcoming years. only after op zarb e azb when areas were cleared fencing project was started.

I saw a video where bunch of afghanis had made a hole in the fence to cross border. I thought cameras and ground radars were being used to monitor movement of these rodents. I really hope we finish it soon and then electrify the entire fence and mine it as well. Only legal movement should be allowed rest should be shot on sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
A dedicated terrorist will find it easy to cut through the fence and enter the country. We need a fence monitoring and pest elimination system to prevent trespassing. This is only good to keep civilian movements in check.

A dedicated terrorist will find it easy to cut through the fence and enter the country. We need a fence monitoring and pest elimination system to prevent trespassing. This is only good to keep civilian movements in check.

Fencing did help us in controlling Afghani infestation and TTP but that was not the real purpose of this border. The idea was to make border permanent and secure it as well. It is not just current govt which denies durand line as border but also Afghan Taliban. There is no guarantee that once Taliban come to power they will honor our borders.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom