What's new

Pak P-3 Orion vs India P-8I

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is little doubt that with higher cruising speed, a jet platform can cover larger area than a comparable propeller aircraft thus one would need fewer jet based MR aircrafts to do the job. As rightly pointed out, Indian has longer coastline to monitor, hence a jet powered platform would be more cost effective. Besides, having a higher maximum speed, P-8 can get out of the way faster than P-3 when faced with hostile aircraft.

PN has had experience with P-3’s for almost a decade and have acquired sufficient experience in maintenance & training of the crews. Therefore for our needs P-3’s are better suited for the foreseeable future.
That's it, different aircrafts for different requirement and not really comparable. That's why IN will not only get P8I for maritime patrol and ASW, there is also another competition for a medium range MP aircraft with contenders like:

ATR 72 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EADS CASA C-295 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dassault Falcon 900 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Embraer R-99 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These might be more comparable to P3, but imo there is no real need for a comparison, because they won't fight each other and will do mainly the same job, even if the one can fly faster and the other maybe longer.

Pakistan has acquired Harpoon Block-I
Inda has Acquired Harpoon Block-II

Pakistan have surface/ship launched Harpoons which India don't have.
India will have air launched Harpoons. Does Pakistan have them?

GB
Pakistan Already has Harpoon block -II and yes Pakistan has air launched Harpoons carried on P3s and mirage though i am not sure about mirage as they usually come with exsocit
Regards

yes pakistan have air launch harpooon from mirage fighter jet

Please enlgiht me with some sources or links.

Pics will be great.

I found the info on Pakistan's Harpoon Block - II which are launched from Surface (means ships as well in this case) however the info which I found says only testing has been done and purchases/deliveries are yet to be done.

However I still couldn't find info on Pakistani air launched Harpoons.

Please enlight me more.

Thanks.

GB

Pakistan has acquired Harpoon Block-I
Inda has Acquired Harpoon Block-II

Pakistan have surface/ship launched Harpoons which India don't have.
India will have air launched Harpoons. Does Pakistan have them?

GB

seriously you could have done a little bit more research before you could have been so confident with your statement.

Please enlgiht me with some sources or links.

Pics will be great.

I found the info on Pakistan's Harpoon Block - II which are launched from Surface (means ships as well in this case) however the info which I found says only testing has been done and purchases/deliveries are yet to be done.

However I still couldn't find info on Pakistani air launched Harpoons.

Please enlight me more.

Thanks.

GB

and then here you go again. :disagree:

Deagel
In November 2005 Boeing was awarded a $62.5 million contract for delivery of Harpoon Block II and related materiel for Pakistan, Japan, and Australia. The order included a $61.7 million contract for delivery of 40 tactical Block II AirLaunch All-Up-Round (AUR) missiles and 10 tactical Block II Grade B AUR missiles for the Government of Pakistan.
Friday, March 30, 2007 Pakistan procurement of 30 Harpoon Block II encapsulated missiles and related equipment under the foreign military sales program. The order was part of a $191 million contract awarded to McDonnell Douglas Corp/Boeing and placed by the US Navy on March 30, 2007. The contract was scheduled for completion December 2011.
Items: 30

Monday, February 12, 2007 Contract option for 10 Harpoon Block II Grade B All-Up-Round (AUR) missiles and 10 MK631Canister AUR Containers for the Government of Pakistan under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) Program announced 12 February 2007. The contract was valued at $15.79 million and was expected to complete in February 2007.

Turkey, Pakistan, Korea and Japan SLAM ER and Harpoon Foreign Military Sales
News >> Missiles & Munitions >> Sales & Contracts

Released on Friday, March 30, 2007

McDonnell Douglas Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of The Boeing Co., St. Louis, Mo., is being awarded a $191,362,762 firm-fixed-priced contract for the procurement of four Standoff Land Attack Missile-Expanded Response (SLAM-ER) exercise missiles retrofitted from SLAMs to SLAM-ERs for the U.S. Navy. This contract also provides for the procurement of 48 SLAM-ER tactical missiles (Turkey) and 2 each SLAM-ER Guidance Sections (Turkey); SLAM-ER Warhead Sections (Turkey); SLAM-ER Sustainer Sections (Turkey); SLAM-ER Control Sections (Turkey); SLAM-ER Exercise Missiles (Turkey); SLAM-ER Captive Air Training Missiles (Turkey); Harpoon Exercise Sections (Japan); Harpoon Exercise/Warhead Containers (Japan); and Harpoon Captive Air Training Missile (CATM-84) (Ballistic Air Test Vehicle-uninstrumented) (Korea) for Foreign Military Sales. In addition, this contract provides for the procurement of 3 SLAM-ER Instrumented Recoverable Air Test Vehicles (Turkey), 59 SLAM-ER All Up Round (AUR) Missile Containers (Turkey), 40 Harpoon Tactical Block II Encapsulated AURs (Pakistan (30) and Korea (10)), 15 Harpoon Tactical Block II Air Launch AURs (Korea), 40 Harpoon Encapsulated AUR containers (Pakistan (30) and Korea (10)), 9 Harpoon Air Launch AUR Containers (Korea), and 6 Harpoon Guidance Section Containers (Japan) for Foreign Military Sales. Work will be performed in St. Charles, Mo. (45.75%); various locations across the United States (9.35%); McKinney, Texas (8.29%); the United Kingdom (8.03%); Toledo, Ohio (5.44%); Tucson, Ariz. (4.18%); Huntsville, Ala. (3.59%); Melbourne, Fla. (3.31%); Fort Washington, Pa. (2.74%);Middletown, Conn. (1.91%); Galena, Kansas (1.80%); Erlanger, Ky.. (1.44%); Elkton, Md. (1.44%); Clearwater, Fla. (1.44%); and Kirkwood, Mo. (1.29%) and is expected to be completed in December 2011. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was not competitively procured. This contract combines purchases for the U.S. Navy ($3,749,208; 1.96%) and the Governments of Turkey ($79,150,963; 41.36%); Pakistan ($63,666,450; 33.27%); Korea ($43,974,637); and Japan ($821,504; 0.43%) under the Foreign Military Sales Program. The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Md. is the contracting activity (N00019-07-C-0037).

and here is a pic of P-3C with AGM-84.

Comparing the old P3 with a brand new state of the art P8 is like comparing the F16 TO JSF F35..

ie the new P8 that are about to enter service are BRAND NEW state of the ART 21ST CENTURY maritime planes.

A $2 billion cost to india says it all

Comparing the old P3 with a brand new state of the art P8 is like comparing the F16 TO JSF F35..

ie the new P8 that are about to enter service are BRAND NEW state of the ART 21ST CENTURY maritime planes.

A $2 billion cost to india says it all

Perhaps you can provide some funds for Pakistan then since u got such a itch to make that comment! to inform you Pak has old P3's and also the newest version's of it and more are on the way. No one said P3's are a match for the P8's get it right if anything we can start talking about your countires mig-21/ AKA the coffins if anything so just chill out with your excitment.:whistle:

right commented Sir.
Mr Maverick, there is no one asying that they are equally good!
if you can go through the posts on this thread it will do good to you, the only claim is that they are good enough for PN!!

better have a go through the discussion before making an argument!

regards!

Exocet Missile -Pakistan Test Fire

plane and ship launched

Last edited by a moderator:
PAF Mirage VPA's are equipped only to be armed with AM-39 Exocet and not with AGM-84L (air launched) Harpoon. PN's P-3C's will be the only aircraft whose inventory will include AGM-84L.

As has been mentioned in this post already, PN has both Block I and Block II of the Harpoon in service/on order. Further, it has all three variants - air, surface & sub-surface launched of both the Block I and Block II. The Block I has been in PN service since the mid-80's, being fitted on its surface ships initailly and then following equipment upgrade on its Agosta 70 SSN's, folowed by the Daphne SSN's. Originally slated to be delivered in 1990, but then embargoed, PN finally received its air launched Harpoon Block I in 1996, of which it received at least 28 confirmed missiles. Needless to say the surface launched and in particular the sub-surface launched Harpoons were provided in plentiful numbers as Pakistan was still on good (relatively) diplomatic terms with the US - given the duo's joint foreign policy against Soviet agression in Afghanistan.

I have noted that a figure of 130 Harpoon Block II's has been mentioned on order for Pakistan. However an additional order for an 60 Block II's has also been placed. :agree:

Boeing P-8A Poseidon first flight

Last edited by a moderator:
8a7fac582ff8f0ada5a392738b97a958._.jpg

Boeing will have five P-8A Poseidon anti-submarine test planes completed by March 2009, with full production expected to commence in 2013. One hundred and twenty nine feet long aircraft with a 117 foot wingspan, the long-awaited replacement for the P-3 Orion will be incorporated into the US Navy and the Royal Australian Air Force. The Poseidon is a long-range anti-submarine plane like its predecessor, and will carry five torpedoes, four anti-ship missiles and two satellite guided bombs.

In addition to its anti-submarine capabilities, the Poseidon can be used for reconnaissance, surveillance, anti-surface warfare, shipping interdiction and intelligence gathering. It has an advanced mission system for maximum interoperability in battle space and is capable of broad-area, maritime and littoral operations.

The P-8A Poseidon has a cruising speed of 815 km/h and a maximum speed of 907km/h, with 30 million flight hours. Each CFM56-7 engine receives 27,300 pounds of takeoff thrust, and in flight the plane can reach a service ceiling of 12.5 km. While empty, it weighs 62 ,30kg, and it has a maximum takeoff weight of 85,370kg. The P-8 is based on Boeing’s 737-800, and is the first militarized version of that series. It features raked wingtips rather than blended winglets and six additional body fuel tanks. The US Navy has been searching for a replacement for the P-3 for roughly two decades.

Has China developed or is developing a potent anti-submarine, ELINT military aircraft?

There is little doubt that with higher cruising speed, a jet platform can cover larger area than a comparable propeller aircraft thus one would need fewer jet based MR aircrafts to do the job. As rightly pointed out, Indian has longer coastline to monitor, hence a jet powered platform would be more cost effective. Besides, having a higher maximum speed, P-8 can get out of the way faster than P-3 when faced with hostile aircraft.

PN has had experience with P-3’s for almost a decade and have acquired sufficient experience in maintenance & training of the crews. Therefore for our needs P-3’s are better suited for the foreseeable future.
Not necessarily fewer, here is why...

With a higher cruising speed than prop jobs, a jet AWACS platform can be a superior synthetic aperture radar system, therefore there will be a strong desire to have even more jet AWACS. Try to understand the military mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom