What's new

PA TANKS comparison with contempory tanks

this ranking is totally biased ..... not even worth commenting ....
dunno on what basis this ranking is being done !!!

New Arrivals : Arjun

source- china daily

this shows the credibility of china daily !!!!

Indians are not going to appreciate this analysis.

even our alkhalid is not in the top10 according to china daily-- but it was an informative old article --- i hope militery professionals can shed some light on the rankings in an unbiased fashion

CHIORNY ORIOL (BLACK EAGLE) Main Battle Tank

http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/MBT/640.jpg

Quote:

A new Russian MBT named Chiorny Oriol (Black Eagle) was shown for the first time at the second VTTV-Omsk-97 International Exhibition of Armaments, Military Equipment and Conversion Products held in September '97 in Omsk, Siberia region, Russia.

Until recently, there were hardly any details about the tank except for a couple of words and a poster on the Defendory 1998 held in Greece.

According to the information I have, this tank is being developed in cooperation with and for export to S.Korea and may even feature Korean thermal imagers. It will not be fielded with the Russian Army and seems to be entirely an initiative of Omsk Plant. It originates from the now-closed Nikolai Popov's design bureau at Leningrad Kirov Plant (LKZ) and is now developed by Alexander Morozov.

The tank is built on a T-80U chassis and will borrow most of its components including FCS from T-80U.

The most significant difference between the new tank and T-80 is the completely redesigned turret (at Omsk'97 a full-sized mock-up was presented) and the lengthened hull with 7 roadwheels per side.

The new turret will have a larger degree of protection than the current Russian MBTs. The steep slope of forward armor plates on the turret reflects designers' desire to maximize protection from APFSDS rounds in a duel situation, when tanks fight "face to face".

For additional protection, the tank is fitted with Kaktus ERA and the new Drozd-2 APS.

It was originally planned to install a 152 mm gun that is being developed for a future Russian MBT. However, since this tank is not going to be fielded with the Russian Army, it carries a 125 mm 2A46M-series gun.

Another innovation is a new automated ammo storage/loader, located in a turret bustle. It is separated from crew compartment by an armored bulkhead which greatly increases crew survivability. This design has several reasons. First, the Chechen war has shown that the carousel used in T-72/T-80/T-90 is too prone to ammo detonation when penetrated, invariably killing the crew. Second, adopted configuration also reduces Black Eagle's height by 400 mm by comparison with the T-80 (Perhaps a typo here, since this means that the tank is a mere 1.8 meters in height). Finally, horizontal ammunition arrangement in the turret bustle permits using longer (and therefore, more powerful) APFSDS rounds, unitary ammunition, simplified automatic loading process and increased rate of fire (expected to reach 10-12 rds/min).

Black Eagle's on-board information system monitors all essential systems of the vehicle, and permits automated data exchange with other tanks and headquarters.

The tank shall have a new 1200 hp 16-cyl. turbo-diesel engine and shall weigh around 50 tons.

VTTV-Omsk-99 exhibition have finally revealed the complete vehicle (referred by KBMZ as Item 640) without any netting. Several features became immediately apparent. It was apparent for the first time that the vehicle's hull is not taken directly from T-80U as was originally believed, but was significantly redesigned, the obvious change being the 7th roadwheel. It seems that most of the additional length has gone into the raised front hull protection and greater glacis obliquity. It also raises doubts if the tank indeed stays in Class 50. The active protection system appears to be Drozd, not Arena, derivative. Although the tank indeed carries the 2A46M maingun, it was stated that provision is made for installation of a new 152mm maingun. This implies that Omsk still hopes to win the hearts of the Russian military with this new tank.

I though that list posted by ANTIBODY gave the pretty good round up of the tanks. You just can't beat the Leopard 2A6.

Also thought i would throw this in from this armor protection website these are non ERA equipped protection levels of the Arjun and Al-Khalid.

Arjun Turret: 500-570mm
Glacis: 410mm

Al Khalid Turret: 645 mm
Glacis: 435-455mm

As far as tank tonnage to armor level goes the Arjun is pretty bad in this area. For example being 58 tons when you compare that to the Leopard 2A6 below which is 62.3 tons.

Leopard2A6
Turret: 920-940mm
Glacis: 620mm

These are estimates btw since i am sure real numbers are most likely classified.

Last edited:
for me arjun stands in the class of T 72 may be im wrong but no one seems to be interested in it

Arjun is much superior than t 72. weight of t 72 is 41.5 tons. ARJUN weighs 58.5 tons and newer version will weigh more due to inclusion of era. it fires sophisticated LAHAT ATGMs and its ground pressure is lower than al Khalid.

Arjun is much superior than t 72. weight of t 72 is 41.5 tons. ARJUN weighs 58.5 tons and newer version will weigh more due to inclusion of era. it fires sophisticated LAHAT ATGMs and its ground pressure is lower than al Khalid.

So you judge the superiority of a tank on the base of more weight lol?

weight means 99.9% of times bette protection.
but more critical parts of tank vs tank comparison is manouevrebility and firepower

So you judge the superiority of a tank on the base of more weight lol?

no sir i judge the superiority of a tank on the base of how sophisticated equipments it has got. super falcon posted that Arjun comes in class of t 72. i corrected him and showed differences between two and showed that Arjun is far superior than t 72. next time read my post completely.

I though that list posted by ANTIBODY gave the pretty good round up of the tanks. You just can't beat the Leopard 2A6.
Mighty ammo protection of Leopard 2:

leopard2hel20.jpg

Also thought i would throw this in from this armor protection website these are non ERA equipped protection levels of the Arjun and Al-Khalid.

Arjun Turret: 500-570mm
Glacis: 410mm

Al Khalid Turret: 645 mm
Glacis: 435-455mm

As far as tank tonnage to armor level goes the Arjun is pretty bad in this area. For example being 58 tons when you compare that to the Leopard 2A6 below which is 62.3 tons.

Leopard2A6
Turret: 920-940mm
Glacis: 620mm

These are estimates btw since i am sure real numbers are most likely classified.

AFAIK armour is classified for both the tanks.

How do you know.

Give source URL

My thanks to you are due the fact that Arjun verses Khalid is probably a better discussion point as T-90 is purely Russian. Arjun on the other hand is totally indigenous and Khalid also incorporates a lot of indigenous effort.

IMO, on paper Arjun, if the engine and heating problems can be resolved, with better protection and 10 tons heavier, appears to be superior to Al Khalid.

You might remember that M-1 Abrams was tested by PA during Zia time (Zia lost his life on the way back from the tests in Bhawalpur desert) and was rejected. Understand M-1 was found to be too heavy for our road bridges and for fighting on the mud flats of Punjab.

I am pretty sure that DRD must have taken all of this into consideration when designing Arjun. Nevertheless, I believe that whereas on the dry sands of Rajasthan desert; Arjun may prove more effective, on the irrigated soft mud plains of Punjab (Gurdaspur/Shakargarh are where Chowinda battle was fought) 55 tons weight of Arjun will be an impediment to its mobility. Al Khalid on the other hand is only 46 tons, therefore should score over Arjun in mobility if not in anything else.

niaz bhai arjun has a very low weight to area ratio. so even if the weight is quite high at 55 tonnes, the weight per cm sqaure is less cas arjun is very wide hence in my opinion mobility will not be much affected. although, i think with less weight, al khalid might out perform arjun in sheer speed.

Mighty ammo protection of Leopard 2:

leopard2hel20.jpg

What are you trying to point out ? Are you saying the Leopard 2 is not very well armored. Your only going to convince yourself if that is the case. The armor composition is great on the tank. I would be inclined to stick with it over what happened to the Merkava in Lebanon.

What are you trying to point out ? Are you saying the Leopard 2 is not very well armored. Your only going to convince yourself if that is the case. The armor composition is great on the tank. I would be inclined to stick with it over what happened to the Merkava in Lebanon.
I showed that ammo protection of Leopard 2 is very weak. You can not believe clear pic and believe in forum boys estimates. Its up to you. I dont deal with beliefs.

I showed that ammo protection of Leopard 2 is very weak. You can not believe clear pic and believe in forum boys estimates. Its up to you. I dont deal with beliefs.

Nor facts it seems. Showing me a picture of some hollowed out ammo compartment as the composition of the Tank doesn't back much if anything. Nor could you if you wanted considering its all classified. So it is better if you give it a rest unless your ok with playing the estimate game. Then your free to do so.

Back
Top Bottom