What's new

Overseas Pakistani By-Election Registration

The Diplomat

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi guys,

As you all know that as of today registration for by-elections have begun for overseas Pakistani the last date to register is up until the 5th.

I was going to register but I have a query. Once you register as an overseas Pakistani your name will be crossed off from the local register and therefor you will not be able to vote from Pakistan. It is important for several reasons for your name to be in the voting register and I'm scared that if I sign up for voting as an overseas it will be hard to switch back to the local register. I only go to Pakistan for a limited time, during my summer or winter holidays and I can't afford to spend time visiting the election commission office to change my vote back to the local register. As we all known nothing is straight forward in Pakistan, you have to make several trips and there is no guarantee that ECP will put me back on the local register. I have a local address in Pakistan of course however I don't have time to spare visiting their office.

Has anyone signed up for overseas voting?

@war&peace

Hi guys,

As you all know that as of today registration for by-elections have begun for overseas Pakistani the last date to register is up until the 5th.

I was going to register but I have a query. Once you register as an overseas Pakistani your name will be crossed off from the local register and therefor you will not be able to vote from Pakistan. It is important for several reasons for your name to be in the voting register and I'm scared that if I sign up for voting as an overseas it will be hard to switch back to the local register. I only go to Pakistan for a limited time, during my summer or winter holidays and I can't afford to spend time visit the election commission office to change my vote back to the local.

@war&peace
Hey if it online voting, you will always be able to use this service even when you are in Pakistan. Your still be removed from the local list but it will moved to the list of overseas voters for the same constituency but I'm sure you will be able to switch it back to local in case you go to Pakistan and you wish to stand in long queues in the hot summers and vote like rest of the people.
Furthermore, it is not such a tedious process to get your vote registered if you have valid documents. I would always prefer this online voting even if I'm may be in Pakistan. Though I would like PM Imran Khan to think about changing the voting system in Pakistan to similar to what we have here in Sweden..here we have a large number of days to cast our vote up to the voting day which is Sep 9, 2018 this year. So right now I can go and vote and many of us have already voted :)

Hi guys,

I was going to register but I have a query. Once you register as an overseas Pakistani your name will be crossed off from the local register and therefor you will not be able to vote from Pakistan. It is important for several reasons for your name to be in the voting register and I'm scared that if I sign up for voting as an overseas it will be hard to switch back to the local register. I only go to Pakistan for a limited time, during my summer or winter holidays and I can't afford to spend time visiting the election commission office to change my vote back to the local register. As we all known nothing is straight forward in Pakistan, you have to make several trips and there is no guarantee that ECP will put me back on the local register. I have a local address in Pakistan of course however I don't have time to spare visiting their office.

As long as you have access to internet and your UK phone (on roaming) with you (if in Pakistan for a visit), you can vote whilst in Pakistan.

Switching back to local register shouldn't be difficult. Check for mechanism.

I live in The States And I may want to register to vote I only have NICOP card tho

I have NICOP only so I cant vote but I got a address in Lahore

I have NICOP only so I cant vote but I got a address in Lahore
You also need to check if constituency is having a re-election. I'm also a Lahori, if you tell me the area I can tell you if your area is part of the by-elections or not.

Hey if it online voting, you will always be able to use this service even when you are in Pakistan. Your still be removed from the local list but it will moved to the list of overseas voters for the same constituency but I'm sure you will be able to switch it back to local in case you go to Pakistan and you wish to stand in long queues in the hot summers and vote like rest of the people.
Furthermore, it is not such a tedious process to get your vote registered if you have valid documents. I would always prefer this online voting even if I'm may be in Pakistan. Though I would like PM Imran Khan to think about changing the voting system in Pakistan to similar to what we have here in Sweden..here we have a large number of days to cast our vote up to the voting day which is Sep 9, 2018 this year. So right now I can go and vote and many of us have already voted :)
As long as you have access to internet and your UK phone (on roaming) with you (if in Pakistan for a visit), you can vote whilst in Pakistan.

Switching back to local register shouldn't be difficult. Check for mechanism.
Thanks guys.

@war&peace

My constituency is NA-124 and there are by-elections in the constituency however when I try to register I get an error saying there are no by-elections taking place in your area. I got my cousin to message 8300 with my CNIC and the message said to contact ECP. I have recently turned 18, less than a month ago. I should be registered.

I tried emailing ECP however my email keeps bouncing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom