What's new

Over Two Hundred Dalit Families In Kerala Look To Islam

Holmes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kept out of local temples, 250 Hindu Dalit families from two Tamil Nadu villages, Pazhangkallimedu and Nagapalli, say they are planning to convert to Islam.
At Pazhangkallimedu village in Nagapattinam district, 180 Dalit families say they want to be able to perform rituals on one day during the five-day annual temple festival. But with caste Hindus allegedly refusing them permission, six Dalit Hindus from the village have already embraced Islam.
Local residents said volunteers of the Tamil Nadu Towheed Jamaat (TNTJ) distributed copies of the Quran in the village, while a Christian missionary also approached them. Meanwhile, leaders of outfits such as the Hindu Munnani and the Hindu Makkal Katchi have been urging them not to take the step and have been mediating between Dalit families and caste Hindus.
The coastal village of Pazhangkallimedu has about 400 families, 180 of them Dalits. Caste Hindus here mostly belong to the Pillai community, traditionally comprising landlords.
Senthil Kumar, a leader of the Dalit party, VCK, who is leading the protests, said the village youth suggested converting to Islam after the administration and the police failed to ensure worship rights for them in Bhadra Kaliamman temple.
“We want to perform Mandagapadi, or lead the rituals, on one of the five days of the annual temple festival. But we are denied that right. My parents and grandparents were slaves. I wish my generation does not have to face untouchability and insults. Conversion may be the only option for us,” he said.
Kept out of local temples, 250 Hindu Dalit families from two Tamil Nadu villages, Pazhangkallimedu and Nagapalli, say they are planning to convert to Islam. At Pazhangkallimedu village in Nagapattinam district, 180 Dalit families say they want to be able to perform rituals on one day during the five-day annual temple festival. But with caste Hindus allegedly refusing them permission, six Dalit Hindus from the village have already embraced Islam. Local residents said volunteers of the Tamil Nadu Towheed Jamaat (TNTJ) distributed copies of the Quran in the village, while a Christian missionary also approached them. Meanwhile, leaders of outfits such as the Hindu Munnani and the Hindu Makkal Katchi have been urging them not to take the step and have been mediating between Dalit families and caste Hindus. The coastal village of Pazhangkallimedu has about 400 families, 180 of them Dalits. Caste Hindus here mostly belong to the Pillai community, traditionally comprising landlords. Senthil Kumar, a leader of the Dalit party, VCK, who is leading the protests, said the village youth suggested converting to Islam after the administration and the police failed to ensure worship rights for them in Bhadra Kaliamman temple. “We want to perform Mandagapadi, or lead the rituals, on one of the five days of the annual temple festival. But we are denied that right. My parents and grandparents were slaves. I wish my generation does not have to face untouchability and insults. Conversion may be the only option for us,” he said.
http://indianexpress.com/videos/news-video/over-two-hundred-dalit-families-in-kerala-look-to-islam/

A sad state of affairs for dalits. May they be free to become anyone they want.

There is no caste system and those who believe in it are themselves sub-human. Peace and good life to all

I am happy for them...India is a garden of all religion and thought...If any one is discriminated by any religion, please choose other choices...Proud of my nation that offers such choices to its citizen.

Kept out of local temples, 250 Hindu Dalit families from two Tamil Nadu villages, Pazhangkallimedu and Nagapalli, say they are planning to convert to Islam.
At Pazhangkallimedu village in Nagapattinam district, 180 Dalit families say they want to be able to perform rituals on one day during the five-day annual temple festival. But with caste Hindus allegedly refusing them permission, six Dalit Hindus from the village have already embraced Islam.
Local residents said volunteers of the Tamil Nadu Towheed Jamaat (TNTJ) distributed copies of the Quran in the village, while a Christian missionary also approached them. Meanwhile, leaders of outfits such as the Hindu Munnani and the Hindu Makkal Katchi have been urging them not to take the step and have been mediating between Dalit families and caste Hindus.
The coastal village of Pazhangkallimedu has about 400 families, 180 of them Dalits. Caste Hindus here mostly belong to the Pillai community, traditionally comprising landlords.
Senthil Kumar, a leader of the Dalit party, VCK, who is leading the protests, said the village youth suggested converting to Islam after the administration and the police failed to ensure worship rights for them in Bhadra Kaliamman temple.
“We want to perform Mandagapadi, or lead the rituals, on one of the five days of the annual temple festival. But we are denied that right. My parents and grandparents were slaves. I wish my generation does not have to face untouchability and insults. Conversion may be the only option for us,” he said.
Kept out of local temples, 250 Hindu Dalit families from two Tamil Nadu villages, Pazhangkallimedu and Nagapalli, say they are planning to convert to Islam. At Pazhangkallimedu village in Nagapattinam district, 180 Dalit families say they want to be able to perform rituals on one day during the five-day annual temple festival. But with caste Hindus allegedly refusing them permission, six Dalit Hindus from the village have already embraced Islam. Local residents said volunteers of the Tamil Nadu Towheed Jamaat (TNTJ) distributed copies of the Quran in the village, while a Christian missionary also approached them. Meanwhile, leaders of outfits such as the Hindu Munnani and the Hindu Makkal Katchi have been urging them not to take the step and have been mediating between Dalit families and caste Hindus. The coastal village of Pazhangkallimedu has about 400 families, 180 of them Dalits. Caste Hindus here mostly belong to the Pillai community, traditionally comprising landlords. Senthil Kumar, a leader of the Dalit party, VCK, who is leading the protests, said the village youth suggested converting to Islam after the administration and the police failed to ensure worship rights for them in Bhadra Kaliamman temple. “We want to perform Mandagapadi, or lead the rituals, on one of the five days of the annual temple festival. But we are denied that right. My parents and grandparents were slaves. I wish my generation does not have to face untouchability and insults. Conversion may be the only option for us,” he said.
http://indianexpress.com/videos/news-video/over-two-hundred-dalit-families-in-kerala-look-to-islam/

BS.
Title name Kerala but in article that is about TN
@waz please clear this thread.

I am happy for them...India is a garden of all religion and thought...If any one is discriminated by any religion, please choose other choices...Proud of my nation that offers such choices to its citizen.

Let's hope the nationalistic Hindus hold similar views and don't kill these people.

I wouldn't be very proud about this disgraceful news. Dalits feel discriminated and are forced to look elsewhere. That is hardly anything to be proud of.

Let's hope the nationalistic Hindus hold similar views and don't kill these people.

I wouldn't be very proud about this disgraceful news. Dalits feel discriminated and are forced to look elsewhere. That is hardly anything to be proud of.

Of course, i will also hope that religious fanatic Islamist do not start killing the people who do not allign with their thoughts...That is even hardly anything to be proud of...But still then many Muslim nationalities feel proud of it...
And again, i am a nationalistic Hindu cum Indian ...i feel proud of my citizen..It is not none of my business to educate of being judgemental about my fellow citizen what they like or which religion they should take up..I think this is the beauty of my nation..Unlike some other Islamic nations, which is very rare practice to even think about it.

Its high time, the elders and gurus of Hinduism abolish casteism like Sati system or else there would be further emigration of lower caste hindus to other religions.

Its high time, the elders and gurus of Hinduism abolish casteism like Sati system or else there would be further emigration of lower caste hindus to other religions.

And why should Hindus care?

A part of Dalits are butthurt ,riddled with horrible inferiority complex,are Hindus only in name, and Christians and Muslims regularly use them as a front to target Hindus. I would be very happy to see them leave Hinduism and adopt Arab slavery.

Low castes are only 15% of Indian population. Even if half of them convert (not that so many of them are crypto-Christians or Crypto-Muslims), it would not influence numbers critically. If anything, it would bring honesty in political discourse and stop usage of "dalits" as political football by seculars.

And this kind of attention wh0ring (mass public conversion with a song and dance) is limited to some periyar loons. I am not even sure that they were Hindus to begin with. If they want to convert, they should. And don't let the door hit them on the way out.

+There is nothing in caste system to abolish. It is not like untouchability which can and has been abolished. People need to get over their inferiority complex.

As per 2011 census, there are 16.6% SC and 8.6% ST in India. Add about 20% of other minorities. That makes HALF of the population of India!

You must be worried. Very worried!!

And why should Hindus care?

A part of Dalits are butthurt ,riddled with horrible inferiority complex,are Hindus only in name, and Christians and Muslims regularly use them as a front to target Hindus. I would be very happy to see them leave Hinduism and adopt Arab slavery.

Low castes are only 15% of Indian population. Even if half of them convert (not that so many of them are crypto-Christians or Crypto-Muslims), it would not influence numbers critically. If anything, it would bring honesty in political discourse and stop usage of "dalits" as political football by seculars.

And this kind of attention wh0ring (mass public conversion with a song and dance) is limited to some periyar loons. I am not even sure that they were Hindus to begin with. If they want to convert, they should. And don't let the door hit them on the way out.

+There is nothing in caste system to abolish. It is not like untouchability which can and has been abolished. People need to get over their inferiority complex.

As per 2011 census, there are 16.6% SC and 8.6% ST in India. Add about 20% of other minorities. That makes HALF of the population of India!

You must be worried. Very worried!!

LOL!!!!

20% minorities are 20% minorities, and they include ST who converted to Christianity or Islam ,as ST reservation is not limited on basis od religion. And STs are STs because they lived away from civilization deep in forests,hence tribal designation, not due to some mythical oppression. The one's from ST that wanted to convert to "Religion of Peace" or "Religion of Love" have already converted. I just want crypto-Christian and crypto-Muslim SCs to convert to these both "lovely" religions like Christian and Muslim STs have already done ,and accept their natural position as cultural slave of Arabs or Vatican/head of their church.

Why should I be worried when I subscribe to concept of good riddance for such filth? At least converts have more integrity than whiners. If someone has problem with Hinduism, he should get over it and convert to some other religion of his choice, rather than whining.

Last edited:
A religious bigot will never have the courage to look at the mirror and realize the rot that is seeping in. Only a fool will say that castism is a good thing! Best of luck with your grand delusion.

The good news is that enlightened hindus do realize it and are trying to remove this blot of casteism.

LOL!!!!

20% minorities are 20% minorities, and they include ST who converted to Christianity or Islam ,as ST reservation is not limited on basis od religion. And STs are STs because they lived away from civilization deep in forests,hence tribal designation, not due to some mythical oppression. The one's from ST that wanted to convert to "Religion of Peace" or "Religion of Love" have already converted. I just want crypto-Christian and crypto-Muslim SCs to convert to these both "lovely" religions like Christian and Muslim STs have already done ,and accept their natural position as cultural slave of Arabs or Vatican/head of their church.

Why should I be worried when I subscribe to concept of good riddance for such filth? At least converts have more integrity than whiners. If someone has problem with Hinduism, he should get over it and convert to some other religion of his choice, rather than whining.

In kerala most of the dalits who convert usually convert to christianity....
Dont know about tamil nadu...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom