What's new

Over Hundred Thousand Indians-face-arrest-in KSA

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Over 1 lakh Indians face arrest in Saudi Arabia - The Times of India

JEDDAH: As Saudi Arabia implements its controversial naturalisation law or Nitaqat, which seeks to replace foreigners in companies with its own people, India is in the midst of a gigantic effort to bring back over 75,000 people in the next few months. After having failed to regularise their work status, these people have applied for emergency exit certificates to leave the country by July 3, the deadline set by Saudi Arabia for deportation of illegal workers.

If these people, whose number is growing, can't leave the country by July 3, they are likely to be arrested. On his way to Saudi Arabia, in what is first bilateral visit by an Indian foreign minister to the country in 5 years, foreign minister Salman Khurshid said he will take up the issue with his counterpart, Prince Saud Al Faisal, Saturday even as he added that Saudi authorities were well within their rights to implement their laws.

"In terms of logistics involved, it obviously is a challenge but we have a grace period and we need to do whatever we can during that period,'' said Khurshid.

Nitaqat makes it mandatory for companies to hire a minimum number of local people before employing foreigners and while the law is not new, Saudi authorities have now started to identify `illegal' workers and send them back. Out of those who have applied for emergency certificates, applications of close to 57,000 have been processed by Indian authorities. However, the Saudi authorities are processing these applications only at the rate of 500 per day making it impossible for India to meet the July 3 deadline. According to the government,Nitaqat mostly impacts blue collar-workers who have stayed back illegally in the country after the expiry of their work visa.

"For all we know, after all this many more Indians would be able to come to Saudi Arabia legitimately,'' said Khurshid in Jeddah. Out of the over 8 million expatriates in Saudi Arabia, Indians account for 2.45 million, the largest.

Unlike what was being thought earlier, these numbers are not limited mostly to Kerala but span the length and breadth of the country. What is actually surprising is that over 21,000 of these are from UP. There are 8695 from Andhra Pradesh, 7913 from West Bengal, Maharashtra over 7,000 and 5430 from Tamil Nadu. Kerala comes only sixth with 3610. It is followed by Bihar with 3035 and Rajasthan 2504. There are significant numbers from J&K, Punjab and Assam too.

Khurshid said massive rehabilitation work will be required also for the rehabilitation of those coming back. "We have already warned the state governments that a little bit of hand holding will be required,'' said the minister.

Khurshid's is the latest in a slew of visits to the country by Indian ministers and bureaucrats since Saudi authorities announced their decision to identify illegal workers. Those who have visited the country for a dialogue over the issue include minister for overseas Indian affairs Vyalar Ravi, junior foreign minister E Ahmed and adviser to PM TKA Nair.

Their country, their law. Nothing wrong in promoting locals to get jobs first. Hope GoI will be able to move the huge number of people before deadline. We still have nearly 1 month left.

New Law is to hire 60% local Saudis in Companies...........they are nothing but a burden on companies.......they just came to work for time pass and do nothing.

It will most likely be another spectacular failure or there will be a steep decline in the productivity and economic growth in Saudi Arabia.Either way this policy will yield long term consequences for Saudis.

These illegal workers better get out of KSA soon otherwise we all know how they behead law breakers and hang them on wires to teach others a lesson and regarding indians I am sure saudi's would love to eliminate some Kafir's from or planet..

Regarding consequences well I see none on part of saudi's with their non-oil economy generating a GDP growth of 7% per year and being the third in world as far as indians are concerned their povert level will further fall with hundred thousand skilled workers going back home ..

I feel Pasha whoz serving as special attache to king there after serving his term as ISI chief must have taught some wisdom to saudi's to get rid of these Kaffirs..:D

These illegal workers better get out of KSA soon otherwise we all know how they behead law breakers and hang them on wires to teach others a lesson and regarding indians I am sure saudi's would love to eliminate some Kafir's from or planet..

Regarding consequences well I see none on part of saudi's with their non-oil economy generating a GDP growth of 7% per year and being the third in world as far as indians are concerned their povert level will further fall with hundred thousand skilled workers going back home ..

I feel Pasha whoz serving as special attache to king there after serving his term as ISI chief must have taught some wisdom to saudi's to get rid of these Kaffirs..:D

Majority of people seeking employment in Saudi Arabia from India are muslims.

saudi camel humpers.

Why do Indian even go to hat desert **** hole?

India is overpopulated and 32% lives below poverty line.

Windjammer,

100,000 is just a small number. It is confirmed that over 30% of the expatriates are leaving KSA in 2013. The things are very serious among everyone except for locals.

Iran Land of shia;

When you post over here, you not only represent for Iran but the shia too, especially with this name. You're setting a bad example and people would take Iranians and shia to be intolerant and racially unstable. You will get the blame for that, rightfully so.

Its is a problem, but not to an extent, usually most of the people going there are already from the lower/upper middle class. i. e. they already had sufficient enough to live, but they also invest their income in India only, as they know it very well they can be deported any time. :) So most of them coming back will face unemployment for short term etc..

It's very tough for Indians to even roam around in the street it seems...if the police sees any Indian their they're straight away taken for questions, just heard my brothers saying my on the phone from damam

Windjammer,

100,000 is just a small number. It is confirmed that over 30% of the expatriates are leaving KSA in 2013. The things are very serious among everyone except for locals.

Over 100 000 is just the Indian reversal then you have migrants from other countries.

One wonder if the locals will be able to fill the vacuum and settle for the conditions most migrants had to work under. !!

Saudi should throw those 100,000 in their jails instead of sending them back.

We dont want them. Unlike Saudis, we have no shortage of manpower. :hang2:

Back
Top Bottom