What's new

Outgoing Pakistan Navy chief details procurement progress

There two areas of need: (1) supersonic cruising AShM similar to Brahmos or (2) a very long-range LACM (i.e. 1,000-1500+ km). Either one launched from a submerged submarine would be a major gain.
And also Frigates Sir we need Frigates and Destroyers which have VLS to fire long Range Cruise Missiles.

Pakistan should acquire CJ-10's powerplant, if the Chinese are willing to provide.
No issue of providing but of compatibility- not as easy as one thinks.

As an analogous example- I am trying to upgrade the motor in one of my RC aircraft - but this is an electric motor which is drawing more amps than my ESC(electronic) speed controller can handle- so now I need to upgrade that. Then, the batteries needed to handle those extra amps will be needed for which I do not have extra space available without potentially compromising the structure along with a weight increase. That weight increase will also affect lift required which means higher speed- finally the CG of the whole thing will change which means I will either have to add lead weights(making the thing heavier again) or redo the interior which could potentially compromise the structural integrity.

So these are problems I have with what is a basic RC aircraft- imagine the issues you get with a complex cruise missile system

As an analogous example- I am trying to upgrade the motor in one of my RC aircraft - but this is an electric motor which is drawing more amps than my ESC(electronic) speed controller can handle- so now I need to upgrade that. Then, the batteries needed to handle those extra amps will be needed for which I do not have extra space available without potentially compromising the structure along with a weight increase. That weight increase will also affect lift required which means higher speed- finally the CG of the whole thing will change which means I will either have to add lead weights(making the thing heavier again) or redo the interior which could potentially compromise the structural integrity.

So these are problems I have with what is a basic RC aircraft- imagine the issues you get with a complex cruise missile system

That means significant investments are required to make the powerplant work with Babur.

CJ-10 (length and diameter) is not very different from Babur. IMO, it can fit the 533mm torpedo tubes of PN subs. Acquiring CJ-10's seems a better option.

Last edited:

thats a bad way for putting it. lets assume they both weigh the same [1500kg] and the cj-10 engine's more efficient. the issues that would need to be addressed would be actually fitting, cg and software updates.
obtaining the enignes i dont know but i doubt. even if you cant get it i doubt pakistan is full of dummies who cant even assemble a team to develop a good engine. its like you said, if we [they] cant buy it, then we build it.

cruise missiles which weigh about 1500kg have engines with thrusts varying from 400-600kgf. 450 kgf being typical and on the tomahawk. id imagine Pakistan should have resources in Belarus, Ukraine, china, France, south africa etc..... to obtain not even the engines but the designs for a fuel efficient engine. as for the structure. id imagine pakistan would have gone for aluminium alloy whilst the newer missiles are composite.

in regards to a previous post you mentioned a weapon which is classified, id imagine it would be a short range slbm as typical sub manufacturers are beginning to develop vls systems in 11meters lengths. mind you a short range slbm is mealy a step into the realm of larger missiles.

supersonic missiles are not the way forward to an extent. look at india, which would you consider more of a threat, the brahmos or the nirbhay? for me it's the latter. i expect you to know why.

my point is i doubt the engine is an issue, the range is played down too much in my opinion.

thats a bad way for putting it. lets assume they both weigh the same [1500kg] and the cj-10 engine's more efficient. the issues that would need to be addressed would be actually fitting, cg and software updates.
obtaining the enignes i dont know but i doubt. even if you cant get it i doubt pakistan is full of dummies who cant even assemble a team to develop a good engine. its like you said, if we [they] cant buy it, then we build it.

cruise missiles which weigh about 1500kg have engines with thrusts varying from 400-600kgf. 450 kgf being typical and on the tomahawk. id imagine Pakistan should have resources in Belarus, Ukraine, china, France, south africa etc..... to obtain not even the engines but the designs for a fuel efficient engine. as for the structure. id imagine pakistan would have gone for aluminium alloy whilst the newer missiles are composite.

in regards to a previous post you mentioned a weapon which is classified, id imagine it would be a short range slbm as typical sub manufacturers are beginning to develop vls systems in 11meters lengths. mind you a short range slbm is mealy a step into the realm of larger missiles.

supersonic missiles are not the way forward to an extent. look at india, which would you consider more of a threat, the brahmos or the nirbhay? for me it's the latter. i expect you to know why.

my point is i doubt the engine is an issue, the range is played down too much in my opinion.
Too many assumptions in that without considering the processes of design & manufacturing

Too many assumptions in that without considering the processes of design & manufacturing
well how this, india managed to get a 1000km cruise missile with an engine that can be purchased quiet easily from russia. pakistan can get the ms400 or even the 350 from the Ukraine if they already havent.

Some how I believe that babur missiles true range is close to 1200km or may be 1500 km. But 750 km does not fit the bill.

Look at raad missile. Without much external mods it's range was increased for xyz reason yo 550 km with same payload means? Either raad was build ground up for 550 km range and was not revealed. Or Pakistan has made considerable progress in engine technology to add almost 57% to the range. Same logic apply to babur means close to 1200 km range. Or even1500 km.

Back
Top Bottom