What's new

Operations in Dir and Buner

seems they (TTP & Co.) are realising the importance of dispersion to engage the PA ...... change in strategy or simply breaking of will to fight?

I doubt that its latter. Classical approach would be - to break up into smaller groups and avoid engagements. Head for remote areas and allow local population to come back in relative period of calm and then restart afresh. Lets see if thats so.

army is moving into swat from two directions. it wont be that easy to hide within swat. some of them have already started leaving the area while others will fight till death. their strategy has always been of stayin in small groups. about hiding in the mountains; that is also not less risky. army is not only using artillery and gunships to target mountains but now troops have also been deployed on mountain tops.
in the recent deployment, commandos were droped on mountain tops who will soon start moving down toward the valleys thus combing the mountains and then taking on militants hiding in the valley.
they might have been better prepared but i guess they were never expectin army to get this serious. or may be from their last experiance they ended up under estimating PA. anyways its too early to say anything. still a long way to go

Dir cleared of Taliban, claims ANP leader
Tuesday, 12 May, 2009 | 05:58 AM PST | Awami National Party’s Information Secretary Senator Zahid Khan talking to media persons in Peshawar.—APP Dir cleared of Taliban, claims ANP leader Special Report Peshawar

ISLAMABAD: Awami National Party’s Information Secretary Senator Zahid Khan claimed on Monday that security forces operating in upper and lower Dir districts had flushed out or killed almost all Taliban militants.

However, he said, the forces were still facing stiff resistance in Mingora although most of the government buildings in the Swat town had been cleared of militants.

Talking to newsmen outside the parliament house, he said the provincial government had done its home work for rebuilding and rehabilitating government and private buildings destroyed in the war and it would need at least Rs80 to Rs90 billion for the job.

Mr Khan said he had been informed that the Taliban were on the run in Dir and a number of them had been seen fleeing after shaving off their beards.

He expressed the hope that the military operation would end sooner than expected because local people were now coming out in support of the troops fighting foreign elements and forcing them out of their areas.

Answering a question about the problem of transport faced by the fleeing people, the ANP leader said the government had allowed the vehicles on which customs duty had not been paid to carry stranded people. Such vehicles are not allowed to ply on roads in areas other than Malakand.

He said the NWFP government would soon start reconstruction work and payment of compensation to the heir of innocent people killed by the militants.

DAWN.COM | Provinces | Dir cleared of Taliban, claims ANP leader

Pakistan army wrests town from Taliban, killing 80
By ZARAR KHAN – 16 minutes ago

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistani troops killed 80 militants and drove the Taliban from a major urban stronghold on Wednesday, the army said, as U.S. military planes brought aid for refugees fleeing fierce fighting across the northwest.

One soldier was killed and nine seriously wounded as troops battled insurgents still holding several other towns in the neighboring Swat Valley, a military spokesman said.

Pakistani troops launched an offensive last month after Taliban militants based in Swat pushed into Buner, bringing them within 60 miles (100 kilometers) of the capital of Islamabad and prompting intense U.S. pressure for a stiff response.

Government forces cleared Sultanwas, the main Taliban-held town in Buner, overnight following intense clashes, army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said.

He said troops destroyed several vehicles used by black-clad militants and defused a string of homemade bombs.

"Sultanwas was the main stronghold of terrorist-miscreants in Buner, where they have made concrete underground bunkers and ammunition dumps," Abbas said.

The army claims it has killed more than 1,000 militants and re-claimed swaths of territory recently seized by the militants.

However, the clashes have prompted some 1.5 million people to flee their homes, a humanitarian emergency that could sap Pakistani enthusiasm for similar action against other Taliban and al-Qaida sanctuaries near the Afghan border.

Relatives have taken in many of those fleeing. However, more than 100,000 refugees are housed in sweltering camps south of the war zone.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced Tuesday that Washington would provide $110 million in immediate humanitarian assistance to Pakistan.

As part of that effort, two American military planes touched down on Wednesday at an air base near Islamabad laden with supplies including air-conditioned tents and 120,000 pre-packed meals, the U.S. Embassy said.

The Associated Press: Pakistan army wrests town from Taliban, killing 80

Army claims victory in Sultanwas, 80 militants killed

ISLAMABAD (updated on: May 20, 2009, 19:22 PST): Military on Wednesday claimed victory over a small-town Taliban stronghold in the northwest district of Buner during operations that reportedly killed 80 militants.

"Security forces cleared Sultanwas last night after intense clashes. Reportedly 80 militants were killed," the ISPR said in a statement.

Government troops have been battling militants in Sultanwas, a small town under Taliban control in Buner for some time. It was not immediately clear over what period the reportedly 80 militants were killed.

Six vehicles belonging to militants and seven makeshift bombs were destroyed during the operations, the military said.
http://www.brecorder.com/latestindex.php?latest_id=9950

after sultanwas we are prety much done in buner. only town left is Pir Baba which is also expected to be a tough fight. but if we can defeat them in Sultanwas then we can definately do the same in Pir Baba.

Last edited:
Journey to Pakistan's 'war zone'

The BBC Urdu service's Haroon Rashid is one of the first journalists to travel to the north-western Pakistani district of Buner, scene of recent heavy fighting between the Pakistani army and the Taliban.

"It's just a firecracker," our driver said as a sound like a rifle round whistled above our vehicle.

We had just passed through the last checkpoint into Ambela, a sub-division of Pakistan's troubled Buner district.

Passing through the checkpoint allows the traveller to enter what is effectively a war zone.

Pakistan's security forces say they now have control over most of the district and are asking people to return to their homes.

Meanwhile, all-out fighting continues in the bordering district of Swat.

Our first impressions were that Buner does indeed appear to be calmer - but also more deserted.

Stopping where we heard the sound of the shot - to debate its origins - a passer-by told us it was a warning shot fired by the army.

He indicated the hills around the road, where I was told that it was possible for me to see troops in entrenched positions all around.

I was told this was the way that the army enforced the curfew in the absence of local police.

Earlier on Tuesday, we had headed towards Buner after the government announced a relaxation in the curfew from 1000 local time.

But later it was changed to start from 1300 onwards, leaving us standing at the checkpoint for several hours in the extreme heat.

We were not alone as many other journalists and some families also waited for the curfew to be lifted.

Most were farmers hoping to get back and check whether their homes and livestock had survived the fighting.

Emotional return

Among these was Saleh Mahmoud, who stood by an ambulance carrying the body of his recently deceased mother.

"I have brought her from Peshawar to be buried in our ancestral graveyard," he told me as the heat beat down.

When I asked him if it wasn't a better idea to bury her in Peshawar or even nearby Mardan, he replied in an emotional tone: "She will be buried here come what may.

"I have brought her here and will remain here on God's support till they remove the curfew."

But unlike this simple man who was prepared to wait, I and other journalists chose to return to Mardan as we saw little hope of it being lifted.

I jokingly remarked to my colleague that the curfew had been prolonged because we had told the army we would be visiting the area.

But no sooner had we reached Mardan than we got the news that the curfew had been lifted.

Turning the vehicle around, we rushed straight back towards the war-torn district.

As we crossed into Buner from the Ambela pass, we saw a glimpse of the weaponry deployed by the army - several artillery pieces and a tank.

The tank was parked in a narrow lane lined with houses, and seeing it made me think that it is not just the Taliban who are using civilians as human shields.

As we moved through the main town, we saw a petrol pump and two trucks burnt to cinders.

Further down the road we passed several other destroyed vehicles - evidence that just days ago this was the scene of a fierce battle.

Police absent

It was clear though - judging by the largely intact markets and homes - that the army had been careful in targeting the enemy.

But there must be some concern that on the way towards the Dagar sub-district, the police were absent except for a lone official on duty at an intersection.

Even the paramilitary Frontier Corps (FC) troops were nowhere to be seen.

All the checkpoints were manned by regular army troops.

At the last checkpoint before Dagar, the soldiers made us get out of vehicles and then made us close our cameras.

"We know you are professional journalists," the otherwise friendly troops told us.

"But the fact is that in here suicide bombers are also running around with cameras."

Despite the relaxation in the curfew, Dagar was largely deserted.

A couple of shops were open, and some people were seen buying vegetables.

A livelier picture, however, was evident in the surrounding fields where sickles were employed to harvest the abundant wheat crop.

The army had apparently given the farmers leave to work in the fields, even during the curfew.

But they were strictly forbidden to come on to the roads.

One of these farmers was Wakeel Khan, who had left his studies in Peshawar to come and help harvest his family's crops.

"For some people their lives are precious and for some people like me the crop is precious," he told me.

"That is why I am busy harvesting it. If the crop is not cut within a 10-day period, it will wither and die."

Despite the difficult situation, the hospital in Dagar - and indeed the larger district hospital - remained open and continued to provide services.

Surprised

"But we can only provide 20% of our available services," Dr Sher, medical officer at Dagar told me.

According to him, this was due to the unavailability of staff who had left during the fighting.

"We received the bodies of seven civilians in all during the fighting," said Dr Maqsood, head of the district hospital.

"Two of these were unidentified, so they have been buried in the hospital compound temporarily.

"We did not receive any bodies of soldiers killed in the fighting."

I was quite surprised to discover that it was his wife who decided that he should stay behind, despite the fighting.

"The only reason me and my kids are still here is my wife," said Dr Maqsood. "She convinced me to stay as she said the people here need you more."

I wanted to stay and talk with this lady and the lone policeman who was on duty at an intersection.

But we had to leave the front line before the curfew was reinforced in the "liberated" district of Buner.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Journey to Pakistan's 'war zone'

BBC News - Pakistani army clashes with militants in the north-west

Pakistani army clashes with militants in the north-west

At least 23 militants have been killed in clashes with the army in north-west Pakistan, police have told the BBC.

They say that the militants were killed after they opened fire on troops carrying out a search in the Maidan area of Lower Dir region.

The search follows a suicide attack on Sunday at a paramilitary fort in Lower Dir, where troops killed hundreds of militants in an offensive last year.

The military say the offensive enabled them to take control of the area.

They say that they are now trying to consolidate those gains.

Residents of Maidan told the BBC that the security forces put the entire area under a curfew on Monday night before the search operation - in which about 280 people were arrested - began.

Police told the BBC that it was not known whether any militants were among those arrested.

The army says that the fighting began when "miscreants" opened fire on troops searching the area after reports of "militant movements" in the remote village of Kilpani in Lower Dir.

In Sunday's attack, four bombers armed with car bombs and rockets attacked a fort in the area - killing one soldier.

Independent verification of the army's claims was not available. Correspondents say that militants often reject and dispute casualty figures issued by officials.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom