What's new

Open your eyes to Shanghai (Indian perspective on China)

Reaction score
http://www.livemint.com/2010/12/30183109/Open-your-eyes-to-Shanghai.html

Open your eyes to Shanghai
There’s much to learn from China if we let go of our blinkered predispositions and see for ourselves the elements driving its transformation

Luxury Cult | Radha Chadha

I am sitting in bed looking outside my window in Shanghai. Snow-capped cobbled roofs march out into the distance, their slanted angles glinting in the early morning sun. A clump of tall thin trees—they look like elongated Christmas ones—in the garden below have turned rusty orange, some have shed their leaves altogether, their scrawny branches striking surrealist poses. I hear the hum of traffic building up in the distance. A bus screeches to a halt. A lone cleaner carries a big fat broom across the basketball court yonder. The washing machine in my kitchen gushes in water. My daughter, sitting beside me, keys in strange beautiful Chinese characters as she completes her college essay on the singer Wang Lee Hong. Our cups of tea, on both sides of the bed, steam invitingly.

9EA09BCF-5F78-4630-A81B-67BD906F5CF1ArtVPF.gif

Sky’s the limit: High-rise buildings in the Pudong New Development Zone in Shanghai. Eugene Hoshiko/AP

I have always come to Shanghai as a visitor but this is the first time I have set up temporary home. This unexpected interface with everyday China makes me realize just how deep and wide its development is, and what a transformative effect it has had on daily life. Some recess of my mind has always clung to the notion that one day India will catch up with China, but as I stand at the checkout counter of the world’s biggest Carrefour store—trolley loaded with milk and eggs, bananas and persimmon, tomatoes and tofu, frying pans and kitchen knives—in this most mundane setting, the penny finally drops for me. They have arrived. Shanghai’s comparison point isn’t Mumbai; it is New York, London, Tokyo, or Hong Kong.
It isn’t just the mammoth size of the store that tips me over—two floors of absolute household heaven teeming with shoppers—it is the vicarious peep into the Chinese home that it provides, a curated show of day-to-day materialism if you will, symbolic Lego pieces that construct ordinary lives. It is all “first world” and more—and it is all made for China. We may have started the development race together with similar sized economies in the 1980s but they have reached a different finish line. Their economy is nearly four times ours. And just like the Carrefour store it isn’t about size alone, it is the palpable quality difference at every turn.

I have a New Year resolution that I’d like to invite you to share: Open your eyes to China. Go there if you can. Feel the pulse of the nation. Analyse what makes it tick. And figure out how we can outdo it.

My conversations in India in multiple forums have led me to believe that the simple act of seeing China’s accomplishments is hard for us, to learn from them is harder still. Pat rationalizations cloud our thinking. That China is a complex khiladi on many fronts is obvious—the recent Wen Jiabao visit shows just how hard-nosed they are—but is there any point in being mein anadi to their tu khiladi? Whether you see China as a friend or foe, whether you see it as a market to sell to or as a supplier, whether you see it as a potential partner or as a business competitor, my singular point is: See it with an open mind, and learn from it. A clear-headed understanding of China is crucial to competing and winning against them.

Biggest, fastest, latest, best, first—all these adjectives come alive for me in encounter after encounter in Shanghai. I meet a friend for breakfast—at the newly opened Langham hotel in Xintiandi—he works for a German shipping company, and tells me how Shanghai’s Yangshan Deepwater Port, developed in just a few years, has become the world’s busiest. The weather turns freezing cold and my daughter and I head out to the Cloud 9 Mall for woollies—it’s a massive mall, stuffed with mid-range brands, swarming with people—we end up at the Japanese brand Uniqlo, buying “Heattech” innerwear, amazing stuff, super-light, super-warm, great design, great price. China is Uniqlo’s biggest international market with 58 stores, which they plan to multiply to 1,000 by 2020. We warm up over coffee at the Starbucks below—it’s packed, every table taken. Starbucks too has frothy plans for China, wanting to whip up its current tally of 400 stores to 1,500 by 2015.

We catch up over drinks with another friend—he heads a big multinational—and the China forward theme continues. A Shanghai-Beijing high-speed train link is in the works that will cut the current travel time of 14 hours to 5 for a rail distance similar to Delhi-Mumbai. They are building their own aircraft—military and civil. They are dredging the Yangtze river to allow access to bigger cargo ships, which will enable moving factories westward into lesser developed areas. Airports like our Delhi T3 are a dime a dozen.

The luxury retail scene deals in superlatives too, entirely appropriate given the Chinese consumer is the biggest for most major brands. I visit the spanking new IFC Mall which has lined up all the biggies such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Hermès, Tiffany, and more. The mall itself is a luxurious 1.1 million sq. ft extravaganza—developed by Hong Kong’s Sun Hung Kai, it has brought along many familiar names such as Isola (Italian restaurant) and City Super (Japanese supermarket) to the Shanghai IFC. I check out the Apple store there—Shanghai’s first—and it is a stunner just like the one on Fifth Avenue, New York, the glass cube entrance replaced with a glass cylinder here, the store below sprawled out over 16,000 sq. ft.

Back across the river, on the bustling Huai Hai Road, luxury retail takes a nostalgic turn at the Dunhill “Home”, one of four in the world, at the twin villas at No. 796—exquisitely restored identical 1920s buildings, one housing Dunhill, the other Vacheron Constantin, and the top floor merging to house the Kee Club (another Hong Kong favourite), the gardens below lit up with Christmas lights. I meet Tim King, who heads Alfred Dunhill in the region, for tea—Dunhill has grown to 90-plus stores in 50-plus cities in China. Further on Huai Hai Road, I shop for Christmas gifts at Shang Xia, the first Chinese luxury brand launched by Hermès—we are served by a young Japanese man, and it is the finest service I have experienced in years, his unabashed joy in the beautiful products he shows us makes them twice as beautiful.

There are many things one can learn from China—the grandness of their vision, their ability to think long term, their implementation skills—but the one I admire most is their ability to “learn” from the outside world. China hasn’t got where it has on its own—it has leveraged the resources of the world to fuel its development, and here’s the big a-ha, it has still kept the upper hand. The Chinese are as feverishly nationalistic as we are, but it doesn’t stop them from embracing foreign know-how or managerial talent—they see it as a way to get their nation further faster.

That the Chinese welcome learning is best demonstrated by IBLAC, the International Business Leaders Advisory Council. Set up in 1989, IBLAC consists of heads of major global companies who meet every year to brainstorm and advise the mayor of Shanghai on the city’s development. Indra Nooyi has been a member. The advice is taken seriously and a report card of what has been implemented is presented the following year. (It’s quite a who’s who, but even here the Chinese keep the upper hand—if you don’t turn up for two years in a row you are dropped from the council.)

Which brings me back to my New Year resolution: Open your eyes to China, and open your minds to new learning.

CHINDIA MYTHS

The two central concerns of our ambivalence towards the country are largely unfounded

There are two classic arguments that tangle up our thinking on China. The first: “China has developed faster because it is a Communist dictatorship, we haven’t been able to do as much because we are a democracy.” The second: “We have so much corruption, that’s the root cause of the mess around.” Both are red herrings. Democracy is not divorced from development (look no further than the G6 nations) and neither are Communist dictatorships a guarantee for progress (North Korea is a case in point). As for corruption, China is in the same league as India according to Transparency International—not a good thing by any means, but my point is, corruption hasn’t slowed the China train.

Another pet fear: Does opening the doors to foreigners kill local businesses? Not in China. Chinese businesses are thriving—Haier, Huawei, Lenovo, Li Ning, Taobao, to name just a few—usually by playing the twin trump cards of competitive pricing and catering to local preferences. The lively sparring between Starbucks and 85C—which sells a cup of coffee at half the Starbucks price, and offers bakery products that appeal to the Chinese palate (anyone for sponge cakes coated in pork floss?) demonstrates how the tables are being turned on Western brands. 85C has 150 cafés on the mainland, 320 in Taiwan—where it is headquartered—and plans to open another 1,000 cafés by 2015.

Radha Chadha is one of Asia’s leading marketing and consumer insight experts. She is the author of the best-selling book The Cult of the Luxury Brand: Inside Asia’s Love Affair with Luxury.

Write to Radha at luxurycult@livemint.com
:china::china::china:

I disagree with her on the "Chindia myth" paragraph. China has been able to develop faster because it is not a democracy. Of course this is valid. If the Indians cherish their democracy so much, that it is hindering their development, that is fine with China.
People have different preferences, and none other than the Indians themselves should say how they should be governed.

My dear, I can't tell you how deeply I desire India and China to have friendly relations.

There's just so much we can contribute to each other.

India can learn soooooooo much from China. The number of people China has pulled out of poverty in such a short period of time has no parallel in human histroy.

It's simply too mind boggling a feat to even think of.

Let me tell you something that not many Chinese members here believe.

The common Indian is very admiring of China and a little scared of China. Admiring because of what China has achieved, scared because of our checkered past.

But hopefully things are taking a turn for the better with trade increasing.

What we need right now is:

1. More people to people contacts.

2. More businesses venturing into each others' country.

3. More trade. This will reduce the hostility and increase our reliance on each other, thereby reducing the itch to go to war/confrontation.

4. Indian media, I accept, needs to exercise restraint while reporting about China but our Chinese friends must also understand that India being a democracy, we can't really tell our media what to do and what not to do.

5. We need to be much more proactive diplomatically in order to resolve our disputes and sort out the irritants.

I really wish to see a friendly relationship between India and China but sadly, right now, things look dismal.

'India vs China' just doesn't make sense, neither diplomatic, nor economic, nor military, nor cultural.

It just doesn't make sense.

中国万岁-ProsperThroughCo-op;1383186 said:
I disagree with her on the "Chindia myth" paragraph. China has been able to develop faster because it is not a democracy. Of course this is valid. If the Indians cherish their democracy so much, that it is hindering their development, that is fine with China.
The pace of development is purely dependent on the money to be pumped into the economy and certain sectors where change is visible immediately.
China has a GDP that is three to four times that of India hence the massive amount of money being pumped into the infrastructure is evident. India is catching up slowly. As our GDP grows we will start to see faster growth in India too. As for the pace it will be slower compared to China given the rights of the citizens to discuss, debate and oppose if necessary on certain projects.

Most of us have seen a magnitude of change in the past decade which would have been impossible to even think of in the 90s. We can now see the unleashing of potential that was lying dormant in the past decade and that should accelerate the growth.

中国万岁-ProsperThroughCo-op;1383186 said:
Open your eyes to Shanghai - Travel - livemint.com

Open your eyes to Shanghai

:china::china::china:

People have different preferences, and none other than the Indians themselves should say how they should be governed.

True.
But History is the biggest proof you can find.
Experts,agencies all have said that Democracy and economic prosperity grow hand in hand in long term.
China is enjoying a better today than India,but Democracy always wins.
China won't be able to carry forward this growth for long.
Thats not me saying it,but GOOGLE SAYS IT TOO! :D

True.
Experts,agencies all have said that Democracy and economic prosperity grow hand in hand in long term.

You're being immature. What if tommorow China decides to become a democracy?

What excuse will you give then?:undecided:

And how do you think that's possible?
Any signals?
It is not easy to overthrow a dictator govt.

Nothing is impossible.

You looking at short term, I'm looking at the long term.

If after 20, 30, 40 years, when China would have become a superpower and achieved everything a nation would want to achieve, it decides to give up dictatorship and become a democracy, what excuse will you give then? Tell me.

30/40 years is a very short period of time in nations' history.

Besides, just look at what they have achieved. Isn't it simply mind boggling?

There was a time when they were poorer than us, worse than us and what not.

Look at them today. Open your mind my friend.

Well,we know we are slow,but we will be there..

found One sensible Chinese on this forum

You're being immature. What if tommorow China decides to become a democracy?

What excuse will you give then?:undecided:
No it's not possible,
If china goes for democracy,they will face problems..

If china becomes democratic..

The population will increase,
Changes balance of wealth between the people of Chinese
They poverty will start to increase..
Political instability will start..

India cannot be communist..
And china cannot be democratic...

IF it happens it will seriously affect economy and political stability

True.

Often, those experts and agencies live in wealthy, western, democratic countries that are rich today because of imperialism and earlier industrialisation. Why did they industrialise earlier than China? Because in China, the economy was efficient enough, so there were no incentives to innovate.

You can read more about it here: High level equilibrium trap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe India had the same problem as well?

In Europe though, which consisted of smaller states, there were hard competition among the states both on the continent and in colonies. That, together with an imperialistic attitude, made them technologically superior (guns and canons) and richer (slavery+raw materials from colonies).

As they built up their economies, they gradually gave more freedoms to its people. The experts and agencies that say democracy is better long term, does not consider their accumulated wealth gathered through history. Western democracy has a historical dark side.

And yet, western democracy did not prevent the debt crisis that is building up in USA and EU. Democracy has positive and negative sides, negative side being it is easy to make positive short-term decisions in order to secure votes, although being negative in the long term.

Well,we know we are slow,but we will be there..

found One sensible Chinese on this forum

It is such comments like your last sentence that stir up hatred between people. One shouldn't "retaliate" just because the other side is saying bad words, in your opinion.

Last edited:
The pace of development is purely dependent on the money to be pumped into the economy and certain sectors where change is visible immediately.
China has a GDP that is three to four times that of India hence the massive amount of money being pumped into the infrastructure is evident. India is catching up slowly. As our GDP grows we will start to see faster growth in India too. As for the pace it will be slower compared to China given the rights of the citizens to discuss, debate and oppose if necessary on certain projects.

Most of us have seen a magnitude of change in the past decade which would have been impossible to even think of in the 90s. We can now see the unleashing of potential that was lying dormant in the past decade and that should accelerate the growth.

I believe that India need a resolute government. Though a democratic one. I read on national geographics that India just has one freeway that encircle the nation and plans to build a cross national one. Also, India just has few major airport like how they have in Delhi, China has many? If India is where China is just 10 years ago economically, do we expect the airports, harbors, freeways and overall infrastructure to be like China now in 10 years. I doubt its possible without a change of leadership mindset (in all levels) and cut down in corruption.

True.

I agree that democracy always win except China is proving a anomaly. But China still has a chance to open up its society and govenrment and I believe that it will happen to due time. If the average country side all over China is like the country side in the coastal area, China would start to shift to democracy. In the mean time, people are satisfy with the CCP because of what it has done to China. And if there is an election, the CCP would retain power anyway.

Finally, google is just griping. They were kick out because Baidu has more influence in the Chinese government.

^^ The thing is in India,Infrastructure is slow...
U'll have opposing people for it..
For example take jaitapur plant
The govt wants to build the biggest nuclear plant(10Gw)
But there are protests no to build..wat should we do..
I hope some how Govt will manage them and build it but it takes time..

Last edited:
I do not like the conclusion of this article about India should learn from China. China is just one of many nations that has a more advance economy than india. There are many countries India can learn from. This include Europe, Brazil, Japan, South Africa, Israel and the US. India should learn from everyone and stop obsess with just China.

Back
Top Bottom