What's new

OP-ED: The actual fight: the world through the lens of retired warriors

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The actual fight: the world through the lens of retired warriors
boxer800px-Pakistan_Navy_Special_Service_Group_member_silhouetted_aboard_Pakistan_Navy_Ship_PN...jpg

I’ve been holding this one for a long time because I’m not sure how it would go down with the audience. If I offend anyone please accept my deepest apologies and I would love to have your thoughts here. I request that everyone please maintain some semblance of respect for others that I have mentioned here and kindly direct the criticism at my writing or me. Thank you!

Standing at a staggering 6 foot 6 inches, the first time when I met the gentleman I was deeply impressed at the manner in which he presented himself. Crisp in his language and obscure in his humor, I was, as I always am, humbled that such warriors seek me out for when the mind troubles. The man in question was a retired NCO who had proudly served in the SSG and had taken his due retirement some time ago. Let’s call him, Boxer because he was gifted in the sweet science and I’ve been a student of it as well.

Boxer came to me after his unit officer called me up and asked if I would be willing to help. It was after saying yes that it became a learning experience that I wish to share.

After fighting a war for near about two decades it is expected of the armed forces personnel to adjust into civilian life like a snap. I do not mean to offend anyone when I say this that serving is something that you cannot understand unless you have done so yourself. This is something that I experienced too for when I was a young psychologist I had the opportunity of treating armed forces personnel who had retired or were serving and coming to me through their families and I was always had an issue comprehending the stress in their lifestyles that were in place because of their careers.

Let me elaborate, I had a couple who were on the verge of a divorce after only three years of marriage. The stone faced Captain was went through two distinct phases, sometimes he would be crisp and precise in his communication and then whenever I would probe he would become explosive about the pressure that he is under. The wife of the gentleman had, to my mind, very simple complaints: time and quality of life. I think my therapy would have been speedier had I been able to understand the husband, it took me a while to help them because I was unnecessarily focusing on the husband’s adjustment issues, later on, I discovered that he wasn’t the issue the wife was.

I do not mean to rattle anyone’s cage nor ruffle any feathers when I tell you that whatever media you’ve seen about warfare whether it is from Band of Brothers to Alpha Bravo Charlie to the newer editions does not reflect what it is actually like on the field. Unfortunately, however, I think that all civilians of any nationality think they know what it is actually like to be in the armed forces. I’m sorry to inform them that even if your parents were uniformed you really don’t know what it is like to live this life. This is not said with negativity but with reality. I think the same is true for other professions that require a high amount of training such as doctors or field engineers etc., as far as the career is concerned but for the military it goes into every facet of your life and this is precisely why the study of the armed forces is a separate academic field.

Coming back to Boxer, he had cycled through ten jobs in a couple of years whenever he worked in the civilian set up tremendous issues would arise and either he would quit (mostly) or was let go. The events ranged from things like these, once one of his bosses cut off his salary over a minor bureaucratic issue. He told Boxer that he would pay him if he apologized publicly. Boxer told him to shove the money somewhere where it’s not pleasant. I asked him, Boxer, could you not have handled this more tactfully such as maybe taking it up higher? He replied simply, ‘I’m no slave, sir.’

The adjustment period

As we delved in deeper, I discovered what the root cause was, Boxer loved food; he had planned all his life that he would retire and set up a small business such as a food stall or a small restaurant near to his village. When I asked him why wasn’t he doing it there was a small glimmer in his eyes as they filled up with what he had been holding back for three decades.

‘I joined the forces when I was very young, sir, my father was in the forces too. My family made me join up, I used to love studying and I wanted to complete my intermediate. I then volunteered for the SSG because I wanted to show my family, myself and everyone who thought I was just a large fool that I had a lot in me. I spent my whole career planning my life of peace after my part in the war was over. I was very brave, sir, I never feared for my life and I thought after surviving that I will get some peace and do what I want rather than do what others want. I don’t blame the service, those are still the days I go back to but it is my present that I am worried about. My family is not humble, they want things that are stupid and require a lot of money. My wife used to be so supportive I don’t know what happened to her. When I told her I wanted to do open up my own dhaba (food stall) she laughed and said that my hand did not have the flavor needed. I should do what I would be paid for the most. Then you know the kids marriage, universities and other expenditures, I lost most of my savings in completely unnecessary things. Whenever I said no, I was emotionally blackmailed so much that I caved every time. I have become a bitter man and I think I will become like the men in my life who did not let me reach success on my own terms because they did not believe in me. I’m starting to lose my faith in my fellow man, sir. I see no end to this vicious cycle. I think I’m in a well and there’s no getting out.’

‘Yet the warrior fights on, eh?’ that was the only thing I could come up with.

‘What else do we know how to do, sir?’ he replied with piercing accuracy and added, ‘Sir, I truly don’t think the people we fight for want us to return actually. If they do then why do they do this to us? Why is it so difficult to understand us?’

Here on we went into a deep discussion of how soldiers throughout history have echoed what he was saying and he asked me if I could recommend some good books to him because he used to love reading when he was a boy.

The resurgence
boxer2pdf.jpg

It has been two months now that I’ve been talking to Boxer and he is well adjusted in his job where he’s making savings now to open up his own little place and making everyone happy with awesome tea, some good quality smokes and delicious food. We had a lot of fun with the names, ‘Commando Inn’, ‘Special Services Khappa’ etc., I would love to see what you recommend, dear reader.

What did Boxer require? Here’s where even trained people, in my opinion, fail. I often get people who have been through the system of healthcare and usually I’m the last resort because others have given up. My peers and colleagues often used to joke that I’m ‘Fat Man’ the nuke to end it all and as much as I love that ego boost of smashing people’s expectations and winning an uphill battle, I must confess, it is not the reason why I do this. I do this because I have been through a life where I was treated the same way, ‘hopless’, ‘koi faida nahi’ (it’s of no use), ‘tumharey sawalon ki wajha se kabhi sakun nahi aye ga’ (your questions will make it impossible for you to be in peace.’ I just like to help people the way I wanted to be helped. That is exactly what Boxer required, someone to listen to him rather than ‘give him the talk’ someone to understand him on his own terms. Someone who would say, you’ve done so much, you deserve to have a say for yourself, you can do this, I believe in you.

I think that is what not just he but a lot of other people are missing too.

The disease

I think there’s one thing that infects the world right now and that is hypocrisy. ‘Live your dreams…’ is what we’re told but in actuality the practice is, ‘Live your dreams as long as you can fulfil my conditions.’ There are people who would be extremely judgmental not because they have an actual criticism but because they cannot do what you’re doing. As a family therapist I have often seen parents control their children not because they’re worried about the welfare but because they sacrificed their dreams to have them but if you’re in such a position then maybe don’t have them at that time? Lifelong misery is not worth anything.

I think beyond the civilian/military, international economics, societal change and what not, this is the disease. For instance, it saddens me to see young men wanting to marry by their choice but not letting their sisters have the same choice. Is not your wife someone’s sister? The focus isn’t love marriages but hypocrisy. I respect someone who believes in arrange marriage for himself and does the same for everyone. At the very least, he is not a hypocrite, it is easier to convince such people because they are being moral here. During the early days of my service I helped a Pakhtun lady to convince her parents to let her marry her colleague who was Punjabi because I only asked her father a simple question, who are you? He replied he was a Muslim, a Pakistani and a Pakhtun. I asked and what does your religion say about this issue? What does your country say and what does your culture say? If these three things contradict which will you choose? Are you a better Pakhtun than a Muslim? He stayed silent and went away after that. I got a call about two weeks later that he had agreed and was proud that his daughter stood up for her rights. He told me on their marriage that I said something to him which he could not get out of his head, the first Muslims rebelled against their parents too when they were being forced to renounce their faith. Parents can be wrong. He said he felt like the Arabs at the time who were resisting the truth.

Being true to yourself is what helps, psychology is not to manipulate you into doing what you should but helping you figure out what is that you want and how to achieve it within the constraints that you face.

My only message and request on behalf of the those who give their lives so we can type on our laptops, call our friends and enjoy our lives is this: please, cure your hypocrisy. Be anything but do not be a hypocrite, let’s act the way we think and believe in and let’s stand up for that which is right, not that which is convenient. Lastly, we need to support one another.

On that last point, I have promised Boxer that I will lead a PDF regiment into his dhaba and we will make it our regular resort. Once it is done, I would love for all of us to go there and show him support.

View attachment 677303
I’ve been holding this one for a long time because I’m not sure how it would go down with the audience. If I offend anyone please accept my deepest apologies and I would love to have your thoughts here. I request that everyone please maintain some semblance of respect for others that I have mentioned here and kindly direct the criticism at my writing or me. Thank you!

Standing at a staggering 6 foot 6 inches, the first time when I met the gentleman I was deeply impressed at the manner in which he presented himself. Crisp in his language and obscure in his humor, I was, as I always am, humbled that such warriors seek me out for when the mind troubles. The man in question was a retired NCO who had proudly served in the SSG and had taken his due retirement some time ago. Let’s call him, Boxer because he was gifted in the sweet science and I’ve been a student of it as well.

Boxer came to me after his unit officer called me up and asked if I would be willing to help. It was after saying yes that it became a learning experience that I wish to share.

After fighting a war for near about two decades it is expected of the armed forces personnel to adjust into civilian life like a snap. I do not mean to offend anyone when I say this that serving is something that you cannot understand unless you have done so yourself. This is something that I experienced too for when I was a young psychologist I had the opportunity of treating armed forces personnel who had retired or were serving and coming to me through their families and I was always had an issue comprehending the stress in their lifestyles that were in place because of their careers.

Let me elaborate, I had a couple who were on the verge of a divorce after only three years of marriage. The stone faced Captain was went through two distinct phases, sometimes he would be crisp and precise in his communication and then whenever I would probe he would become explosive about the pressure that he is under. The wife of the gentleman had, to my mind, very simple complaints: time and quality of life. I think my therapy would have been speedier had I been able to understand the husband, it took me a while to help them because I was unnecessarily focusing on the husband’s adjustment issues, later on, I discovered that he wasn’t the issue the wife was.

I do not mean to rattle anyone’s cage nor ruffle any feathers when I tell you that whatever media you’ve seen about warfare whether it is from Band of Brothers to Alpha Bravo Charlie to the newer editions does not reflect what it is actually like on the field. Unfortunately, however, I think that all civilians of any nationality think they know what it is actually like to be in the armed forces. I’m sorry to inform them that even if your parents were uniformed you really don’t know what it is like to live this life. This is not said with negativity but with reality. I think the same is true for other professions that require a high amount of training such as doctors or field engineers etc., as far as the career is concerned but for the military it goes into every facet of your life and this is precisely why the study of the armed forces is a separate academic field.

Coming back to Boxer, he had cycled through ten jobs in a couple of years whenever he worked in the civilian set up tremendous issues would arise and either he would quit (mostly) or was let go. The events ranged from things like these, once one of his bosses cut off his salary over a minor bureaucratic issue. He told Boxer that he would pay him if he apologized publicly. Boxer told him to shove the money somewhere where it’s not pleasant. I asked him, Boxer, could you not have handled this more tactfully such as maybe taking it up higher? He replied simply, ‘I’m no slave, sir.’

The adjustment period

As we delved in deeper, I discovered what the root cause was, Boxer loved food; he had planned all his life that he would retire and set up a small business such as a food stall or a small restaurant near to his village. When I asked him why wasn’t he doing it there was a small glimmer in his eyes as they filled up with what he had been holding back for three decades.

‘I joined the forces when I was very young, sir, my father was in the forces too. My family made me join up, I used to love studying and I wanted to complete my intermediate. I then volunteered for the SSG because I wanted to show my family, myself and everyone who thought I was just a large fool that I had a lot in me. I spent my whole career planning my life of peace after my part in the war was over. I was very brave, sir, I never feared for my life and I thought after surviving that I will get some peace and do what I want rather than do what others want. I don’t blame the service, those are still the days I go back to but it is my present that I am worried about. My family is not humble, they want things that are stupid and require a lot of money. My wife used to be so supportive I don’t know what happened to her. When I told her I wanted to do open up my own dhaba (food stall) she laughed and said that my hand did not have the flavor needed. I should do what I would be paid for the most. Then you know the kids marriage, universities and other expenditures, I lost most of my savings in completely unnecessary things. Whenever I said no, I was emotionally blackmailed so much that I caved every time. I have become a bitter man and I think I will become like the men in my life who did not let me reach success on my own terms because they did not believe in me. I’m starting to lose my faith in my fellow man, sir. I see no end to this vicious cycle. I think I’m in a well and there’s no getting out.’

‘What else do we know how to do, sir?’ he replied with piercing accuracy and added, ‘Sir, I truly don’t think the people we fight for want us to return actually. If they do then why do they do this to us? Why is it so difficult to understand us?’

Here on we went into a deep discussion of how soldiers throughout history have echoed what he was saying and he asked me if I could recommend some good books to him because he used to love reading when he was a boy.

The resurgence
View attachment 677304
It has been two months now that I’ve been talking to Boxer and he is well adjusted in his job where he’s making savings now to open up his own little place and making everyone happy with awesome tea, some good quality smokes and delicious food. We had a lot of fun with the names, ‘Commando Inn’, ‘Special Services Khappa’ etc., I would love to see what you recommend, dear reader.

What did Boxer require? Here’s where even trained people, in my opinion, fail. I often get people who have been through the system of healthcare and usually I’m the last resort because others have given up. My peers and colleagues often used to joke that I’m ‘Fat Man’ the nuke to end it all and as much as I love that ego boost of smashing people’s expectations and winning an uphill battle, I must confess, it is not the reason why I do this. I do this because I have been through a life where I was treated the same way, ‘hopless’, ‘koi faida nahi’ (it’s of no use), ‘tumharey sawalon ki wajha se kabhi sakun nahi aye ga’ (your questions will make it impossible for you to be in peace.’ I just like to help people the way I wanted to helped. That is exactly what Boxer required, someone to listen to him rather than ‘give him the talk’ someone to understand him on his own terms. Someone who would say, you’ve done so much, you deserve to have a say for yourself, you can do this, I believe in you.

The disease

I think there’s one thing that infects the world right now and that is hypocrisy. ‘Live your dreams…’ is what we’re told but in actuality the practice is, ‘Live your dreams as long as you can fulfil my conditions.’ There are people who would be extremely judgmental not because they have an actual criticism but because they cannot do what you’re doing. As a family therapist I have often seen parents control their children not because they’re worried about the welfare but because they sacrificed their dreams to have them but if you’re in such a position then maybe don’t have them at that time? Lifelong misery is not worth anything.

I think beyond the civilian/military, international economics, societal change and what not, this is the disease. For instance, it saddens me to see young men wanting to marry by their choice but not letting their sisters have the same choice. Is not your wife someone’s sister? The focus isn’t love marriages but hypocrisy. I respect someone who believes in arrange marriage for himself and does the same for everyone. At the very least, he is not a hypocrite, it is easier to convince such people because they are being moral here. During the early days of my service I helped a Pakhtun lady to convince her parents to let her marry her colleague who was Punjabi because I only asked her father a simple question, who are you? He replied he was a Muslim, a Pakistani and a Pakhtun. I asked and what does your religion say about this issue? What does your country say and what does your culture say? If these three things contradict which will you choose? Are you a better Pakhtun than a Muslim? He stayed silent and went away after that. I got a call about two weeks later that he had agreed and was proud that his daughter stood up for her rights. He told me on their marriage that I said something to him which he could not get out of his head, the first Muslims rebelled against their parents too when they were being forced to renounce their faith. Parents can be wrong. He said he felt like the Arabs at the time who were resisting the truth.

Being true to yourself is what helps, psychology is not to manipulate you into doing what you should but helping you figure out what is that you want and how to achieve it within the constraints that you face.

My only message and request on behalf of the those who give their lives so we can type on our laptops, call our friends and enjoy our lives is this: please, cure your hypocrisy. Be anything but do not be a hypocrite, let’s act the way we think and believe in and let’s stand up for that which is right, not that which is convenient. Lastly, we need to support one another.

On that last point, I have promised Boxer that I will lead a PDF regiment into his dhaba and we will make it our regular resort. Once it is done, I would love for all of us to go there and show him support.
When you are in a profession where you are trained, and motivated to kill a person, no matter how evil that person is he or she, is still a human. No one can fathom what it feels like. In other professions you are encouraged to save lives, but in Armed Forces and Police you do that by killing someone to save others. The sheer pressure of that is mind boggling, and no civilian no matter how much he or she tries could comprehend that, or make sense of.

That's the gist of it, brother, this profession changes you and it requires people and society at large to help adjust these warriors and cater to their needs. As should be done for all members of the society, I might add.
When you are in a profession where you are trained, and motivated to kill a person, no matter how evil that person is he or she, is still a human. No one can fathom what it feels like. In other professions you are encouraged to save lives, but in Armed Forces and Police you do that by killing someone to save others. The sheer pressure of that is mind boggling, and no civilian no matter how much he or she tries could comprehend that, or make sense of.

A very delicious treat to read. This is why I love PDF and this forum. The quality jewels of content.

"After you kill a man, there is no other feeling like it. Mark my words you won't want to do any hunting again. The excitement of that will be gone. You won't find any joy in it either. Once you kill a man you can't replace that feeling."
- A real life Pep talk given by Special Operations team Sergeant to his new team member..

Last edited:
"After you kill a man, there is no other feeling like it. Mark my words you won't want to do any hunting again. The excitement of that will be gone. You won't find any joy in it either. Once you kill a man you can't replace that feeling."
- A real life Pep talk given by Special Operations team Sergeant to his new team member..
Agreed.

Absolutely, brother. This is spot on.

I think there’s one thing that infects the world right now and that is hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy has been a feature of human society for thousands of years. It is nothing new.

What matters is our response to hypocrisy, as you have mentioned in your example of the father and his daughter's wishes for marriage. One can either recognize hypocrisy and try to remove it as much as possible in one's own life, and those around them. Or one can become so comfortable with it that there is no objection in using it as a manipulative tool upon others for selfish benefit. It is not difficult to guess which approach leads to a gradually progressive society, and which one leads to an inescapebly degenerate society.

The evidence is before us all, but some may choose not to see it.

Sir, absolutely agree with you here. I also think that the way in which we address this hypocrisy is by taking actions against it within the individual first and foremost or pay the cost of it as a whole. It is easy to point it out in others and much more difficult to address it in one's self.
Hypocrisy has been a feature of human society for thousands of years. It is nothing new.

What matters is our response to hypocrisy, as you have mentioned in your example of the father and his daughter's wishes for marriage. One can either recognize hypocrisy and try to remove it as much as possible in one's own life, and those around them. Or one can become so comfortable with it that there is no objection in using it as a manipulative tool upon others for selfish benefit. It is not difficult to guess which approach leads to a gradually progressive society, and which one leads to an inescapebly degenerate society.

The evidence is before us all, but some may choose not to see it.

View attachment 677303

The adjustment period

The resurgence
View attachment 677304

What did Boxer require? Here’s where even trained people, in my opinion, fail. I often get people who have been through the system of healthcare and usually I’m the last resort because others have given up. My peers and colleagues often used to joke that I’m ‘Fat Man’ the nuke to end it all and as much as I love that ego boost of smashing people’s expectations and winning an uphill battle, I must confess, it is not the reason why I do this. I do this because I have been through a life where I was treated the same way, ‘hopless’, ‘koi faida nahi’ (it’s of no use), ‘tumharey sawalon ki wajha se kabhi sakun nahi aye ga’ (your questions will make it impossible for you to be in peace.’ I just like to help people the way I wanted to be helped. That is exactly what Boxer required, someone to listen to him rather than ‘give him the talk’ someone to understand him on his own terms. Someone who would say, you’ve done so much, you deserve to have a say for yourself, you can do this, I believe in you.

The disease

I want to give a positive rating but ...
Life is such We continue to expect and it continues to surprise us press us

Sir, absolutely agree with you here. I also think that the way in which we address this hypocrisy is by taking actions against it within the individual first and foremost or pay the cost of it as a whole. It is easy to point it out in others and much more difficult to address it in one's self.

Just like charity, self-improvement also begins at home. The biggest limitation to this self-improvement is seeing others benefit while the person trying to do the right thing pays the cost. For example, three people standing in line trying to get train tickets can do that only for so long if they do not see all other bypass them and get tickets first. This is where the rule of law in society plays a huge role. However, this process starts from the top down. When those at the top obey the law, the population will naturally settle down into that process too.

A personal story might be appropriate here, which I have already narrated in the past. A few years ago, I went to Pakistan and noted the general mayhem that passes for traffic law in Lahore, particularly running red lights, or even creeping slowly across the intersection on a red light so that when the light turned green, many were already half-way across (never mind the impediment to the crossing lanes of traffic whose light was green). Everybody flouted the law, including military vehicles in the Cantt. area. One early morning, I was at a traffic light in Cantt. I stopped at a red light, even though there was no traffic on the intersecting road. As I remain stopped, a motorcyclist came to a stop right next to me. So did a tractor, and a couple of other car. No horns, no revving, no impatience. Peace. And the rule of law. The light turned green, and everybody went their ways. On the way back, the traffic was building up and at the same light, a military jeep with an officer inside was the first one to go through at a red light. One can guess what the rest of the traffic did. Mayhem. And lawlessness.

The connection of the above story to your point of hypocrisy is established when the same drivers are teaching their children to get driving licenses, if bothered to do so at all. What lesson would they learn from what they are told to do to pass a driving test versus what they observe their parents (and everybody else) doing in real life? The old joke about a father pontificating to his son the importance of truth when the door bell rings and he tells his son to go to the door and lie that his dad is not home comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom