What's new

One of the worlds oldest continuosly inhabited city

If you have scientific evidence that Makkah is the oldest continuously inhabited city on the planet then present it.Otherwise keep it shut.

no words simply no words for a genius like you!

Ptolemy may have called the city "Macoraba", though this identification is controversial.[13] Archeology found no inscriptions or mentionings of Mecca from before that time, even though other cities and kingdoms in that region are well documented.

According to Islamic tradition, the history of Mecca goes back to Abraham (Ibrahim) who built the Kaaba with the help of his eldest son Ishmael in around 2000 BCE when the inhabitants of what was then known as Bakkah had fallen away from the original monotheism of Abraham through the influence of the Amelkites.[14] However, outside of Islamic tradition, little is known about the Kaaba before the 5th century CE.

# Byblos in present-day Lebanon may date back as far as 5000 BCE and is considered by many to be the oldest continuously populated city.
# Damascus in Syria has existed at least since 3000 BCE.
# Varansi in India also dates back further than 3000 BCE.
# Medinat Al-Fayoum in Egypt is possibly dated at 4000 BCE.
# Gaziantep in Turkey dates back to 3650 BCE.
# Hebron in Israel is dated at 3500 BCE.
# Athens in Greece dates to about 3000 BCE.
# Arbil and Kirkuk in Iraq have dates of 2300 and earlier than 3000 BCE respectively.
# Adana in Turkey and Jerusalem in Israel were established around 2000 BCE.
# Hama in Syria was established before 2000 BCE.
# Luxor/Thebes in Egypt also dates to 2000 BCE.
# Jaffa, Israel, and Aleppo, Syria are both about 3800 years

What are the Oldest Cities in the World?

I would not depend on this list if I were you. Some of the dates that they have mentioned is wrong.

There is no evidence of Varanasi dating as far back as 3000 BC. Only 1000-750 BC has so far been proven :tup:

Sir,

May be Syrian capital is oldest but history of Varanasi goes as back as 2000+ Bc and beyond ...
Further there is no text which can tell about its origin.

Chalcolithic Excavations at Tel Ramad on the outskirts of the city have demonstrated that Damascus was inhabited as early as 8000 to 10,000 BC.[1][dubious–discuss]However, Damascus is not documented as an important city until the coming of the Aramaeans around 1400 BC.

FIrstly there was no prophet Adam. He is just a fictionary mythological character. You are basing your claim on a fictionary tale so it hold no merit.

Its common sense that humans are result of evolution and not great great grand children of first prophet(and human), ie Mr Adam.

Adam(Hebrew: אָדָם‎, Arabic: آدم‎) is a prominent figure in Abrahamic religions. He is the first man created by God in Judaism,Christianity, and Islam. He appears originally in the Hebrew Bible in the Book of Genesis. His wife was Eve according to the Bible,

Adam(Hebrew: אָדָם‎, Arabic: آدم‎) is a prominent figure in Abrahamic religions. He is the first man created by God in Judaism,Christianity, and Islam. He appears originally in the Hebrew Bible in the Book of Genesis. His wife was Eve according to the Bible,

WHats the point.

This thread is seriously getting offtopic due to insistance of few members that since Adam was first man so mecca must be first city, which is just a crappy logic.

But do you know the origin of the word "MAN" (English) or "MANUSHYA" (Sanskrit/Hindi)? Its based on the name of first man that ever existed, MANU.

The same Wkipedia says:-

In various Hindu traditions, Manu is a title accorded to the progenitor of mankind, and also the very first king to rule this earth

Not that I am a admant believer of the above, but its enough to burst your bubble and for gods sake let go your claim of mecca being oldest city since some mythological fictionary book relate it to some mythalogical and equally fictional character, Mr Adam.

This thread is seriously getting offtopic due to insistance of few members that since Adam was first man so mecca must be first city, which is just a crappy logic.

But do you know the origin of the word "MAN" (English) or "MANUSHYA" (Sanskrit/Hindi)? Its based on the name of first man that ever existed, MANU.

The same Wkipedia says:-

Not that I am a admant believer of the above, but its enough to burst your bubble and for gods sake let go your claim of mecca being oldest city since some mythological fictionary book relate it to some mythalogical and equally fictional character, Mr Adam.

1:when i claimed that Mecca is the oldest living City.
2:According to Our Religion Adam Was first man on earth..and we belive it as u belive on manu .
3: Mr Manu was first man on earth But Just According To Ur Religion, May be manu Stands for Adam in Sansikrat,
according To Ur Veid " manu Was informed about Great Flood..," but in our faith Great Flood Occured In prophet Noah Era ..Noah Was born aftr some 900 year approx after Adam.
Manu - Myth Encyclopedia - mythology, god, story, legend, famous, animal, Hindu, life, king

Last edited:
1:when i claimed that Mecca is the oldest living City.
2:According to Our Religion Adam Was first man on earth..and we belive it as u belive on manu .
3: Mr Manu was first man on earth But Just According To Ur Religion, May be manu Stands for Adam in Sansikrat,
according To Ur Veid " manu Was informed about Great Flood..," but in our faith Great Flood Occured In prophet Noah Era ..Noah Was born aftr some 900 year approx after Adam.
Manu - Myth Encyclopedia - mythology, god, story, legend, famous, animal, Hindu, life, king

I dont believe in any of those mythological crap (Adam, Noah, Manu etc). I have made it clear already in my previous post.

Guys please the oldest cities are cities within the levant around what is palestine lebanon and syria. Jericho and Damascus both have had traces of habitation since 9000 BC. Humanity first arrived in the middle east according to almost all archeologists and later spread to other areas. The first civilization were the sumerians appearing first in 5000 bc in mesopotamia.

The world's oldest cities - Telegraph

There r different estimates... from different sources. But the cradle of civilization is the levant. Damascus Byblos Allepo and Jericho are undisputedly some of the oldest cities of the world. Then the sumerians come up who had their kingdoms in Mesopotamia (modern day Persia/Iraq). Those include Susa

So Varanasi may be an old city but is not the oldest. And by the way the oldest of all by all estimates is the city of Jericho in modern day Palestine. Don't turn this into a religious issue. Another link.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/953851/top_5_oldest_cities_in_the_world_pg2.html?cat=9

Back
Top Bottom