What's new

Obama threatens Gaddafi with military action

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Obama threatens Gaddafi with military action

US president Barack Obama delivered a new warning to loyalists around Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi that will be "held accountable" for violence raging amid a rebel uprising.

Obama also noted that Nato was meeting in Brussels to discuss a range of responses to the violence in Libya, including military options and said he had endorsed another $15 million US donation to humanitarian efforts.

"I want to send a very clear message to those who are around colonel Gaddafi. It is their choice as to how to operate moving forward.

They will be held accountable for whatever violence will continue to take place there," he said.

"In the meantime, we have got Nato, as we speak, consulting in Brussels around a wide range of potential options including potential military options in response to the violence that is continuing to take place in Libya," he added.

The military options being considered range from positioning a signal-jamming aircraft in the international air space off Libya which could muddle Libyan government's communication with military units. "US administration officials said preparation for such an operations were underway," the New York Times said.

The other options, it said, before the US were air dropping of weapons including anti-tank arms and supplies to Libya's oppositions or inserting small special operations team to assist and guide the rebels, as was done in Afghanistan in 2001 to topple the Taliban.

Such teams of commandos are specially trained to turn rag-tag rebel groups overnight into more effective fighting formations, with the modest infusion of know how and leadership.

Obama threatens Gaddafi with military action - The Times of India

^^^ I know why go help stop the slaughter of innocent muslims - damn the US. If memory serves me right China is closely vested in there- hmm

Back
Top Bottom