Sher Malang

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
02kabul1.jpg

02kabul2.jpg

02kabul3.jpg

02kabul4.jpg

Making his way into Afghanistan unannounced, United States President Barack Obama signed a landmark strategic partnership agreement strengthening post-war ties with Kabul after 2014 when American combat forces return home.

The ten-page long-term agreement pledges US support for Afghanistan for a decade after 2014, when North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces are planning to conclude their combat role. Obama, who arrived in Kabul in the middle of the night on Tuesday called the agreement "a historic moment for our two nations."

"I'm here to affirm the bond between our two countries and to thank Americans and Afghans who have sacrificed so much over these last ten years.

"Neither Americans nor the Afghan people asked for this war yet for a decade we've stood together. Today with the signing of the strategic partnership agreement we look forward to a future of peace. Today we're agreeing to be long-term partners," he said.

With this agreement, Obama said the Afghan people and the world should know that Afghanistan has a partner in the US.

"As we move forward I'm confident Afghan forces will grow stronger and the Afghan people will take control of their future....," he said.According to a White House fact sheet, the strategic partnership agreement is not only a signal of US' long-term commitment to Afghanistan, but it enshrines their commitments to one another and a common vision for their relationship and Afghanistan's future.

The SPA is a legally binding executive agreement, undertaken between two sovereign nations.

US commitments to support Afghanistan's social and economic development, security, institutions and regional cooperation are matched by Afghan commitments to strengthen accountability, transparency, oversight, and to protect the human rights of all Afghans -- men and women, it said.

In addition to recognising the progress that has been made together over the past 10 years, the agreement includes mutual commitments in the areas of, protecting and promoting shared democratic values, advancing long-term security, reinforcing regional security and cooperation, social and economic development and strengthening Afghan institutions and governance.

"When it comes to an enduring US presence, President Obama has been clear: we do not seek permanent military bases in Afghanistan. Instead, the strategic partnership agreement commits Afghanistan to provide US personnel access to and use of Afghan facilities through 2014 and beyond," the fact sheet said.

"The agreement provides for the possibility of US forces in Afghanistan after 2014, for the purposes of training Afghan Forces and targeting the remnants of Al Qaeda, and commits the US and Afghanistan to initiate negotiations on a bilateral security agreement to supersede our current Status of Forces Agreement," it said.

Under the agreement, the US will also designate Afghanistan a "major non-NATO Ally" to provide a long-term framework for security and defence cooperation.

The White House said the agreement itself does not commit the US to any specific troop levels or levels of funding in the future, as those are decisions that will be made in consultation with the US Congress.

It does, however, commit the US to seek funding from the Congress on an annual basis to support the training, equipping, advising and sustaining of Afghan National Security Forces, as well as for social and economic assistance, it said.

While fully supporting the Afghan-led reconciliation process, the SPA reiterates the red lines for any talks with the Taliban -- break ties with the Al Qaeda, renounce violence and abide by the Afghan constitution including its protection for all Afghan men and women."Finally the strategic partnership establishes implementing arrangements and mechanisms to ensure that we are effectively carrying out the commitments we've made to one another. To ensure the strategic partnership is effectivelyimplemented, the Afghanistan-United States bilateral commission will be established, chaired by foreign ministers or their designees," it added.

Source: Obama in Kabul on Osama's death anniversary, inks pact - Rediff.com News

I thought Pakistan said Obama would visit them when he visits Afghanistan. May be he thought its not worthwhile. Its twice he came to this region not visited Pakistan once.

"Instead, the strategic partnership agreement commits Afghanistan to provide US personnel access to and use of Afghan facilities through 2014 and beyond," the fact sheet said.

That is the clear indication of things to come. I have always held the view that post the NATO withdrawal, the US presence in Afghanistan will not just evaporate. Actually it will continue to be meaningful. There have been many pointers towards that, this is another one.

I thought Pakistan said Obama would visit them when he visits Afghanistan. May be he thought its not worthwhile. Its twice he came to this region not visited Pakistan once.

look at your reasons of satisfaction and you call Pakistanis are fed with anti-India sentiments! :)

Its actually good that he didn't visit Pakistan. He is murderer and responsible for the killings of thousands in Pakistan.. he is not welcomed neither USA is taken as a friend or ally in Pakistan. Congratulations India for having USA as your second best friend. Enjoy your "high" time.

oh you just changed your post! Good you have shown some maturity with that.

look at your reasons of satisfaction and you call Pakistanis are fed with anti-India sentiments! :)

Its actually good that he didn't visit Pakistan. He is murderer and responsible for the killings of thousands in Pakistan.. he is not welcomed neither USA is taken as a friend or ally in Pakistan. Congratulations India for having USA as your second best friend. Enjoy your "high" time.

oh you just changed your post! Good you have shown some maturity with that.

So lets see, India has USA moving towards its side, offering them tech, and supporting their role in the UN. India is already buddies with Russia.

Not good for you guys.

So lets see, India has USA moving towards its side, offering them tech, and supporting their role in the UN. India is already buddies with Russia.

Not good for you guys.

Yeah , it isn't

But hey have we ever given a damn **** ? :azn:

What I find ironic is that..an invader is signing an agreement with a puppet it helped install..the enforcement of this agreement is only valid for as long the puppet can occupy the sea..which doesn't seems to be too long....

It looks like this is the second time Pakistan has been abandoned after being used as a firing shoulder for American ambitions in Afghanistan and all the blame game of backing militants is pure cr@p due to fears of future retaliation.

"When it comes to an enduring US presence, President Obama has been clear: we do not seek permanent military bases in Afghanistan. Instead, the strategic partnership agreement commits Afghanistan to provide US personnel access to and use of Afghan facilities through 2014 and beyond," the fact sheet said.

it doesn't really matter what is said..both serve the same purpose...in either case..America is going to have access to infrastructure required for destabilizing neighboring countries. The big question is why does US needs such an access in a region it has got nothing to do????

"Neither Americans nor the Afghan people asked for this war yet for a decade we've stood together. Today with the signing of the strategic partnership agreement we look forward to a future of peace. Today we're agreeing to be long-term partners," he said.

Pakistan seems to be a net loser now due to its reckless conduct in backing the Talibans! Good work Jihad Joe..err..I mean...mullahs!

Under the agreement, the US will also designate Afghanistan a "major non-NATO Ally" to provide a long-term framework for security and defence cooperation.

All I can say to Pakistan is..beware of the security across the Duran line.

"The agreement provides for the possibility of US forces in Afghanistan after 2014, for the purposes of training Afghan Forces and targeting the remnants of Al Qaeda, and commits the US and Afghanistan to initiate negotiations on a bilateral security agreement to supersede our current Status of Forces Agreement," it said.

For the times, when just saying I TOLD YOU SO is simply not enough

told-you-so-meter1.jpg

it doesn't really matter what is said..both serve the same purpose...in either case..America is going to have access to infrastructure required for destabilizing neighboring countries. The big question is why does US needs such an access in a region it has got nothing to do????

Pakistan seems to be a net loser now due to its reckless conduct in backing the Talibans! Good work Jihad Joe..err..I mean...mullahs!

USA has booked itself a long term parking space, by this arrangement.
Why? for the following, in no particular order of importance.
1. to attempt to keep a lid on matters in Afghanistan
2. to have control on the natural resorces in Afghanistan
3. to have proximity to the CARs, while not entering them due to present concerns of Russia, however to have some control on future energy highways.
4. to have a proximate location to Iran, in the hope of influencing events there (my Crystal Ball says there is a possibility of US-Iran rapprochement not too far in the future.
5. to remain close to China :D

6. W.R.T. Pakistan; just to be around :) (maybe to watch over the Jihad Joes/Muckin' Mullas?)

looks like chances of "Taliban ruled Afganistan" diminished....i hope some members willn't die in heartbreak... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. W.R.T. Pakistan; just to be around (maybe to watch over the Jihad Joes/Muckin' Mullas?)

not in pakistan they r created in the very place where he is offering AID. but you know waht thank GOD usa has left pakistan alone. as long as usa keeps us away we are happy i dont care if its cosying with afghanistan or india as long as it stays away from pakistan. being their friend has brought us more destruction than a 60 year long war would have.
anyway so this will keep on going then usa will give money to karzai who will pocket it up the taliban will keep killing their soldiers and the people will get nothing. GOOD JOB

Apparently Afghan has provided a permanent base.

easy place to attack iran since pakistan isnt allowing base for an attack then afghanistan will be a very good place to launch a powerful offense and from a completely opposite side from the sea thus dividing the forces up and putting iran under the pressure of a two front war

looks like chances of "Taliban ruled Afganistan" diminished....i hope some members willn't die in heartbreak...

troll troll troll american economy is in shatters and the taliban gain from this war maybe not now maybe not in ten years but they will come.... dont call me a supporter its just reality and to blind away from it is to be delusional their president was in kabul when they attacked that city its that easy for them. americans are in a losing war and no matter how many past you sign it wont change the fact

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom