What's new

Now, India's coaches to come with 'made in China' tag

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
China's Olympic programme was one of the most closely guarded secrets in the sporting world — one that propelled the Oriental country past the United States at the 2008 Beijing Games. But now the country has agreed to drop the iron curtain and let India get a peek into their coaching programme, whic h has seen their athletes conquer new frontiers in the world of sport.

By the end of this year, Indian coaches will travel to the Beijing Sports University, to 'imbibe' the Chinese winning formula and put it to use in Indian conditions. "It is a positive development for Indian sport. China is a sporting powerhouse and a coaching programme there will help Indian coaches perform better and produce more Olympic medallists," said Sports Authority of India (SAI) secretary, Gopal Krishna.

The Beijing Sports University runs a special programme to train China's elite coaches and also looks after the training of top athletes. "We regularly send coaches to Cuba and Hungary and it has started paying dividends. Now, China has been included on the list and I hope it will further improve our performance," added Krishna.

Initially, the coaches will go on a four-week stint and depending upon the success of the pilot project, the future course of the coaching programme will be decided. "Our (SAI) officers had gone to Beijing last month to work on the proposal of sending the coaches to China. The university has given us written confirmation to train our coaches," said a SAI official on condition of anonymity. "For the four-week pilot project, they have allowed us to send any number of coaches - between 20 to 80. The course will be conducted with a help of interpreters.

"All the paperwork has been completed and now the proposal will be presented to the sports minister for clearance and budgetary approval. After that, we will decide on the number of coaches we will be sending to Beijing. The process will take four months," said the official.

The SAI is also planning to take China's help to train its sports scientists. "Our officers have also met scientists at the China Sports Science Institute and they have agreed in principal to train our sports scientists. But a written confirmation is awaited," said the SAI official.

At the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games, China was placed 11th with 28 medals. But 20 years later, in Beijing, they had a whopping 100 medals in their kitty, including 51 gold.

Certainly, the way to go for India!

Now, India's coaches to come with 'made in China' tag - Hindustan Times

gosh we are really mad to let india into the secrete of our success.

Good news. Thank you China.

Flag-Pins-India-China.jpg

China is a nation that likes to learn knowledge, at the sametime, we are also glad to share the experience of success with all friends. Welcome India.

Well, how about India support these sports other then Cricket first!

gosh we are really mad to let india into the secrete of our success.

It will not help much if India doesn't really put in some effort. Indians like to be doctors, engineers, etc, etc, etc. Parents dont want their child to really do sports as a profession.

Most Chinese think the same way on engineers, scientists as well as doctors.

However, we still produce a lot of great athletes.

It will not help much if India doesn't really put in some effort. Indians like to be doctors, engineers, etc, etc, etc. Parents dont want their child to really do sports as a profession.

This is a positive step towards betterment of ties. We should thank the Chinese government and the Beijing Sports University for giving us this chance.

wow! nice, good step by both countries. recently India has improved its sports and training infrastructure so this may be a part of it. now it all comes down to the level of determination, in which Chinese are second to none.
.surely our athletes will learn a lot from this. and people like kalmadi should be kept far far away.

I think India should apply for hosting Olympics. It is said SK is the front runner for a future Olympics. It hosted that already not that long ago. I think India should at least try it.

when i heard coaches i thought it was this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Those sports will be celebrated if we have heroes playing them. India lacks stellar performers in sports other than Cricket.

Prakash Padukone was celebrated badminton player. So were/are the Amritraj brothers, Leander Paes, Bopanna, Bhupati and Sania Mirza for Tennis. Anand is a celebrity because of his Chess prowess along with a slew of other grand masters form India. There are a few other celebrity sportspeople in India.

We just need promising athletes/sportsmen who can consistently perform. We need sports heroes.

when i heard coaches i thought it was this:

So did I. China's sporting system took decades to develop, I was surprised that China was willing to share. I guess this has something to do with solidarity with developing countries.

hey..great news.We can learn a thing or two from the Chinese.What they have achieved in the Olympics is impressive.We should be thankful to the Chinese for their generosity.

So did I. China's sporting system took decades to develop, I was surprised that China was willing to share. I guess this has something to do with solidarity with developing countries.

even with China's help its going take decades for India to develop sports craze rather than this cricket craze

Back
Top Bottom