What's new

Nigeria Receives Delivery of JF-17 Thunders

Weird is why were they not flown in ready made condition..

Does it have to do with an american embargo or some othe rule not allowing refueling in neighbouring countries?
It may have to do with cost. If the Nigerians have to assemble the fighter themselves, it could end up being cheaper for them.

Also, it has the added bonus of having 0 miles on the plane's lifespan.

Last edited:
It may have to do with cost. If the Nigerians have to put it assemble the fighter themselves, it could end up being cheaper for them.

Teaching nigerians to do so will cost more
Seems this was just knock down for transport purposes otherwise knock down kits with assembly pathway would have been taken

for some reason i believe it has to do with some other reasons

The big question of is there a follow on order to complete a full sqn ? At least

The “Blue Force Tracking” and modern targeting pods on the JF-17 and associated C4I should help the Nigerian military minimize the risk of fratricide. The Nigerian military should also be recommended to buy IR strobes that the JF-17 can pick up to prevent this kind of loss of life.

Laser guided Rockets should be enough to take out the threat of Enemy gun trucks as stated in the news story. Especially good if the Nigerian army is fighting close to the enemy and need just the right amount of precision fire and minimizing collateral damage.

Last edited:
JF-17 Multi-role fighter getting prepped for activities to mark the NAF 57th Anniversary Celebration.

E1qFykVWQAA8ZfT.jpg
E1qFx1PXMAA5xtf.jpg
E1qFxj7XEAIQJfc.jpg
E1qFW5eXIAAyObs.jpg
E1qFWraWQAEPuhM.jpg
E1qFWcQXMAIh-nZ.jpg
E1qFV-jWQAMS6AJ.jpg

You can see some PAF officials in some of those pictures, of course, helping the NAF ramp up operations in country.

Weird is why were they not flown in ready made condition..

Does it have to do with an american embargo or some othe rule not allowing refueling in neighbouring countries?

I haven't gotten any reasonable answers. The only thing I can think of is the lack of any available stop over locations on the route for refueling, etc. But then, why not refuel them mid-air? Maybe unaccommodating neighbors who refused to allow combat aircraft destined for their adversary through their airspace? I couldn't find any overt hostilities in their neighborhood either.

It may have to do with cost. If the Nigerians have to assemble the fighter themselves, it could end up being cheaper for them.

These aircraft were first completely assembled at Kamra, flown for qualification and testing, then taken apart and transported. They were then re-assembled by Pakistani technicians/engineers in Nigeria. Nigeria would not have qualified personnel to do so. Nor would they want to train any to assemble just three examples. You can see in the pictures that the machines are completely assembled. The wings, tail, etc. were only removed for easier transportation. All of this would have increased the cost, not that I see anyone caring to save cents over tens of millions of dollars.

Furthermore, you wouldn't perform final assembly in an adhoc hanger or test the machines after delivery. The "zero meter" thing is only Pakistani awam's psyche, I hope. It would have made no difference. Pakistan has always flown its F-16s to and from the US.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten any reasonable answers. The only thing I can think of is the lack of any available stop over locations on the route for refueling, etc. But then, why not refuel them mid-air? Maybe unaccommodating neighbors who refused to allow combat aircraft destined for their adversary through their airspace? I couldn't find any overt hostilities in their neighborhood either.

These aircraft were first completely assembled at Kamra, flown for qualification and testing, then taken apart and transported. They were then re-assembled by Pakistani technicians/engineers in Nigeria. Nigeria would not have qualified personnel to do so. Nor would they want to train any to assemble just three examples. You can see in the pictures that the machines are completely assembled. The wings, tail, etc. were only removed for easier transportation. All of this would have increased the cost, not that I see anyone caring to save cents over tens of millions of dollars.

Furthermore, you wouldn't perform final assembly in an adhoc hanger or test the machines after delivery. The "zero meter" thing is only Pakistani awam's psyche, I hope. It would have made no difference. Pakistan has always flown its F-16s to and from the US.
A fair point, but I was under the impression that Nigeria was looking to buy more, and the three were just an initial purchase.

A fair point, but I was under the impression that Nigeria was looking to buy more, and the three were just an initial purchase.

Hopefully they will but still not in the numbers that would make sense to first train their own men and then assemble and test the aircraft in Nigeria. For example, now that the three are fully assembled, the trained men would have been of no use until the next examples arrive which is not going to be any time soon, relatively speaking. This is not considering the fact that they would need to be re-qualified on the third block since Block 2s will not be produced anymore.

Looks like NAF will get both the ASELPOD as well as dual launchers for AAM missiles, if I heard the pilot's briefing correctly.

Dual bomb racks on all underwing hp ie two bomb x 4 hp = 8 bombs plus belly hp for drop tanks bombs or aselpod

Wingtip for aam

Not sure if naf needs bvr against who ? Boku harmy [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom