What's new

New Year’s Resolution 2019

Divergent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

So what is your New Years resolution, which you will oh so religiously adhere to? *coughs*

There are some resolution for me (they are in no particular order) ;
  • Short term : I seriously need to find a way to circumvent Windows 10 UEFI restriction that doesn't involve removing this laptop hardrive, thus able to boot, install, and running Linux.
  • Medium term : I need to start doing a comprehensive cost analysis of renting diesel generator and transporting diesel fuel to a mountain side place including the cost to setup the necessary infrastructure (fuel tank) and comparing that figure to the cost of doing the same thing at coastal city where I currently live.
  • Long term : Going to expand my social networking to European's folks living here and business community in general. This way I could capitalizing in my training & experience for setting up expedition deep into the mountainous jungle or sea going trip in general.

Hey,

So what is your New Years resolution, which you will oh so religiously adhere to? *coughs*
I’d certainly be religiously adhering to
Getting rid of my Ex Girlfriends , Plus the “to be” fiancé.
So hard to find a girl that belong somewhere in your heart ;’(
On a positive note though, my financial woes are finally being Resolved so thank God for that .
Still going to need a Girl May God help me with that venture because so far the experience has been worst :-

Short term : I seriously need to find a way to circumvent Windows 10 UEFI restriction that doesn't involve removing this laptop hardrive, thus able to boot, install, and running Linux.
What problem you are facing exactly? I ran Windows 10 parallely with Ubuntu with dual boot. I don't exactly remember all the steps I went through. But I have some general ideas of how to get it done.

What problem you are facing exactly? I ran Windows 10 parallely with Ubuntu with dual boot. I don't exactly remember all the steps I went through. But I have some general ideas of how to get it done.

My laptop use full UEFI instead of BIOS, which mean it won't boot from device that has no Windows UEFI in it regardless how you set the configuration in the UEFI setup menu.
My original intention with this laptop is for dual boot Windows 10 (OEM) and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. My use of Windows is limited for legacy gaming, and I'm using either Debian or Ubuntu for everything else (mostly Ubuntu though). And these days I even use Microsoft Office Online due for it doesn't need to be install locally, and if I ever need Microsoft Office it is most likely I will be at some place with sufficient internet infrastructure.

so far the experience has been worst :-

Experience is your best mentor. Learn from it and also learn from the mistake of others.

BTW I had multiple failed relationship myself, with one of them was very near of engagement.

I'm now 40 and haven't found anyone who's share my principal values. Although there are few ladies I knew who were share the same values, they are either "taken" or has "other complication" and I'm currently working with one of them to resolve the said complication.

@trishna_amṛta Theres no such thing as experience when you use the term “worst” just regrets ... long before you start hating yourself for giving into the people’s lap who were begging you in yesteryears and now they are the worst most humiliating part of your existence. You only hate yourself for allowing the utter complete misery and devastation that befell you because of them.
You can only turn back and say may you have the worst because what we did was for you and we got nothing back in return except regret and hate... you become racist deep inside knowing what they did was unforgivable , it wasn’t a 1000 meter sprint race as they’ve made it out it was just to be and not to be, what becomes of love when we Ask so desperately for it is just unrelated love.

As I always say - A tip :.. worst people and worst times often come together.

My laptop use full UEFI instead of BIOS, which mean it won't boot from device that has no Windows UEFI in it regardless how you set the configuration in the UEFI setup menu.
My original intention with this laptop is for dual boot Windows 10 (OEM) and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. My use of Windows is limited for legacy gaming, and I'm using either Debian or Ubuntu for everything else (mostly Ubuntu though). And these days I even use Microsoft Office Online due for it doesn't need to be install locally, and if I ever need Microsoft Office it is most likely I will be at some place with sufficient internet infrastructure.
May I ask which laptop you use? Usually newer machines use UEFI bios. And doesn't boot from other devices. But there are ways around it. You have to switch off secure boot. And change your booting option from UEFI to legacy. Then you can boot from devices or DVD. And you need to check whether you hard drive use GPT or MBR partition.

Is your laptop Acer E1?

May I ask which laptop you use? Usually newer machines use UEFI bios. And doesn't boot from other devices. But there are ways around it. You have to switch off secure boot. And change your booting option from UEFI to legacy. Then you can boot from devices or DVD. And you need to check whether you hard drive use GPT or MBR partition.

Is your laptop Acer E1?

It's an Acer E1 indeed

acer_acer-es1-432-c780-notebook---red--celeron-3350--ram-2gb--hdd-500gb--lcd-14--win10-_full02.jpg

As I had stated before, this laptop use full UEFI, meaning there is no fall back option to legacy BIOS. If it's as easy as changing the UEFI configuration by disabling secure boot and disabling fast boot in Windows 10, or switching back to legacy BIOS then I would already done so, unfortunately it's not that easy.

Apparently Microsoft has manage to sufficiently pressure Acer and other computer manufacture to use full UEFI and no longer provide fall back option to legacy BIOS to ensure their market dominance.

The only other alternative I could see is to remove the hardrive to another machine that still has BIOS in it and installing Ubuntu there, however this laptop still haven't reach 3 months of age (still in warranty) and removing the hardrive might revoke the warranty (although I still need to check to Acer Indonesia about it), or flashing the UEFI (which is going to be extremely complicated by itself). I'm open for any suggestion that doesn't involve removing the hardrive or flashing the UEFI chip though.

1) Learn to trade the stock market.
2) Save money for investment.
3) Start working towards ACCA.

It's an Acer E1 indeed

acer_acer-es1-432-c780-notebook---red--celeron-3350--ram-2gb--hdd-500gb--lcd-14--win10-_full02.jpg

As I had stated before, this laptop use full UEFI, meaning there is no fall back option to legacy BIOS. If it's as easy as changing the UEFI configuration by disabling secure boot and disabling fast boot in Windows 10, or switching back to legacy BIOS then I would already done so, unfortunately it's not that easy.

Apparently Microsoft has manage to sufficiently pressure Acer and other computer manufacture to use full UEFI and no longer provide fall back option to legacy BIOS to ensure their market dominance.

The only other alternative I could see is to remove the hardrive to another machine that still has BIOS in it and installing Ubuntu there, however this laptop still haven't reach 3 months of age (still in warranty) and removing the hardrive might revoke the warranty (although I still need to check to Acer Indonesia about it), or flashing the UEFI (which is going to be extremely complicated by itself). I'm open for any suggestion that doesn't involve removing the hardrive or flashing the UEFI chip though.
This kinda sucks......It seems there may not be any simple solution then.

My resolution is to sell Viper here, ain't easy though

!.Concentrate more on Leed Certified Industrial Planning and Green Ship Breaking Yard Designs in my architectural design works and preferences.
2.Form a Company involved in Finished leatther exports to buyers in EU.
3.For the hobby part, study hard Surface Modeling in 3dsMax,Zbrush and polish my drawing skills for human anatomy.
4.Learn to Control my Impulses
5. Be efficient on controlling cash flow

Back
Top Bottom