What's new

New Taxes Will Kill Digital TV in Pakistan Before It Becomes Mainstream

Honestly Cable Television and Pay TV is dying off all over TV networks in the developed world are struggling to make ad revenues people are cord cutting or like I do just kept Cable TV for cheaper data prices hence triple play package I occassionally watch Cable TV for PPV or News thats it

I cut the cord several years. Now Using Several streaming apps. I haven’t looked back.

A LOT. Literally everything is taxed, except for bread, eggs and milk (these are the three exceptions, every other food item is heavily taxed at 13%).

I am guessing you guys have to factor in provincial taxes as well you live in Ontario

i pay $40 to Comcast. I pay $60 for AT&T wirelesss for 20 GB data plan

streaming apps
Netflix

Others to consider
Hulu, Amazon prime

Comcast is the worst of all the cable and telecom companies after Spectrum aka Time Warner Cable these telecoms to prevent competitors all spilt territories where they serve

Comcast is the worst of all the cable and telecom companies after Spectrum aka Time Warner Cable these telecoms to prevent competitors all spilt territories where they serve

Most places have a duopoly - telco & cable company. Comcast is my cable company - it has been interesting working with them. let us leave it at that

Yes even hot water is luxury in cold weather..tough times needs sacrifice..people voted for it

Bhai sab kuch luxury hai. Paani bi luxury, saans lena bi luxury... sab pei tax laga dou. Aesa ghatiya taxes daal kei awaam ko agey bharney sei roko. Tum log patwari ho PTI kei.

Doosri baat yeh kei. Have you read the article you boneheaded moron? The article says that TV digitization is at 5%... first have low taxes and when it reaches 60-70% taxes... then put these taxes on. This will even generate much more revenue.

These pti dudes remind me of those sparrow guys from game of thrones. Cercei's cousin became one. Not sure if anyone remembers.

UK post ww2 was under sever austerit for 10-15 years, People could only heat their homes for few hours, and Petrol could only be bought by those whose job was imperative for economy, clothing was scarce all the while Uk was sending huge contribution and Aid to other developing countries, This is how nations are built from ashes and not from mere wishes

So back to 1947 I guess.

sir we are paying taxes on everything
No, you certainly aren't. What happens is that many times small shop keeps either don't charge a tax, or keep the money themselves, knowing that the government will likely not enforce tax laws, due to corruption.

So, again, you do not. What you're experiencing is a mere fraction of what it'll take to become a stable and powerful country.

I am guessing you guys have to factor in provincial taxes as well you live in Ontario
Yes. A few years back, the Ontario government tried to implement an HST (harmonized), by combining the GST and PST, but that increased prices on items that wouldn't traditionally be taxed by one, but would the other. You can imagine how people felt, especially since the economic situation was deteriorating in Ontario. It was also around that time the Ontario government decided to tax plastic bags, which (thankfully) major retailers and grocery stores decided to pay out of their own pockets, instead of raising prices or charging customers.

A LOT. Literally everything is taxed, except for bread, eggs and milk (these are the three exceptions, every other food item is heavily taxed at 13%).

Alberta has only 5% :D And we enjoy the cheapest gas. Though will be moving back to Ont pretty soon. Honestly Canadian politics is in a way very similar to back home with its hypocritical environmental politics....

Don't speak as if we're living a life of luxury, just because we're not living in Pakistan.

Come back to Pakistan and pay all those taxes in Pakistan ........ contribute to Riyasat e Medina foundation laying. Why do you wish to continue living such a miserable hard life there? Come life is easy in Pakistan and Pakistan needs you and your genius methods and advises ............ the minimum wage in Pakistan has been raised to PKR 17,500 from PKR 16,500 ...... i.e. 147 Canadian dollars a month.

And if you can't then stop telling us what you pay and what you don't pay in PKR in Canada........ why should a Pakistani living in Pakistan should be interested in a Canadian resident who so conveniently ignored the exchange rate of PKR 119.25 / CAD.

I pay my home phone, internet and TV for almost 40,000 PKR a MONTH.

That is CAD 333

I also have to pay almost 50,000 in car insurance a month.

That is CAD 416

which have skyrocketed gas prices to 162.16 PKR PER LITER, and we produce our own gas!

And that is CAD 1.35 / liter

Do I now compare the purchasing power?

Back
Top Bottom