What's new

New naval base off Philippines’ west coast is military’s ‘top priority’

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
PUERTO, PRINCESA CITY PHILIPPINES – The Philippine military’s top priority is to build a naval base on the country’s western coastline, opposite the disputed Spratly islands, although the plans have been delayed by funding bottlenecks, the Philippine armed forces chief said in an interview.

Gen. Gregorio Catapang said U.S., Japanese and Vietnamese naval vessels would be allowed to make port calls once the facility at Oyster Bay on the Philippine island of Palawan was finished.

Developing the island paradise into a military facility could exacerbate tensions with China, which claims sovereignty over almost the entire South China Sea, including the Spratlys. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan also claim parts of the vital waterway.

Palawan, part of the main Philippine island chain, is about 160 km (100 miles) from the Spratlys, where China’s rapid land reclamation around seven reefs is causing alarm among some Asian countries and drawing increasing criticism from Washington.

“We feel this is the number one priority because of the emerging security situation,” Catapang said in an interview late Monday at a military base in the Palawan capital, Puerto Princesa City, after taking reporters to a Philippine-held island in the Spratlys.

“As soon as we have the money, we will pour resources there,” he said.

China last month offered a detailed defense of its reclamation in the Spratlys, saying the new islands would provide civilian services such as weather forecasting and search and rescue facilities that would benefit other countries.

Catapang said 800 million pesos ($18 million) was needed for the initial development of the naval facility and then 5 billion pesos to turn it into a major operating base.

While plans had been drawn up, they were stalled by a lack of funds, he said.

“There is nothing there yet, we are still constructing an access road and upgrading the water and oil depots that would service ships. There’s still much work to do,” he said.

Japan, which is helping Manila boost its maritime capabilities, might fund infrastructure around the base but not the facility itself, a Japanese source with knowledge of the plan said earlier this year.

Washington has asked for access to Philippine military bases in eight locations to rotate troops, aircraft and ships for training as Washington shifts more of its forces to Asia, Catapang said last month.

Security ties between the Philippines and Vietnam and Japan are also growing in light of China’s assertiveness.

The Philippine navy has said it planned to base two former U.S. Coast Guard cutters at Oyster Bay, a sheltered cove within the much larger Ulugan Bay, once the facility was finished.

Recent satellite images show China is reclaiming land around seven reefs in the Spratlys, and is building what appears to be an airstrip on one of the artificial islands.

Although it has no territorial claims in the South China Sea, Tokyo is worried that Beijing’s domination of the region could give it control of international waterways through which a significant portion of Japanese trade travels.

Japan’s military is considering joining the United States in maritime air patrols in the South China Sea as a counterweight to growing Chinese power, sources familiar with the discussions said last month.

That strategy, which is being encouraged by the Philippines, is spurring closer security ties between Manila and Tokyo.

Their defense agreement, which was reached in January, also established regular vice ministerial defense talks and exchanges between senior officers.

New naval base off Philippines' west coast is military's 'top priority' | The Japan Times

That strategy, which is being encouraged by the Philippines, is spurring closer security ties between Manila and Tokyo.

Their defense agreement, which was reached in January, also established regular vice ministerial defense talks and exchanges between senior officers.

:-)

this is just the beginning :yahoo:..i sense in the future once japan truly militarize ( constitution 9) .. the japanese navy will in station in Philippines alongside with american forces..
Provide both you all have money in the first place. :D

Japan surrendered to China, but they were too proud to surrender to weak pinoy monkeys, and now you are inviting them back. GOOD FOR YOU!
Yes, historical but according to Japan government none of it happened :rofl:

Well, that makes good sense for PH invite JP,US even IN to their country.
Since right now China is PH 's immediate enemy but Japan is not.

History is never a big fact in international politics.:-)

"After the Allied victory in the Pacific, General Douglas MacArthur ordered all Japanese forces within China , Taiwan and Vietnam north of 16° north latitude to surrender to QiangJie Shi, and the Japanese troops in China formally surrendered on September 9, 1945."
Correct...Under orders from the US, certain not from China.

China's acceptance of the surrender statement was a formality simply because China was the major representative of the Allies in Asia. If Big Mac wanted, he could appointed Australia instead and there would be nothing Chiang Kai-shek or Mao Zedong could do about it.

I would rather be careful in updating this thread as once newer news appears, PDF's Chinese keyboard soldiers will flock here and turn this thread into a black-comedy topic.

We will have to be vigilant in reporting trolls who come and try to derail this thread, my friend. This is a thread specifically addressing the paradigm shift between the Japanese and Philippine Navies, and a strategically important relationship in the Pacific.

I will try to update this thread. As for trolls, please report them and tag the mods who i've mentioned in the post prior. They will intervene (as they have done in this thread--- and delete the spurious , baseless troll posts).

Since buying and building bigger ships i say a mini subic again like comrade cossack said too many maoist imperial racist bigot trolls so down low muna kami

I've been studying the location of Oyster Bay in Palawan, and to be honest, its a perfect location for a naval base. Its large enough, and has a natural deep water precipice that can accomodate large ships, plus it is close to , within the vicinity that is, to the Philippine Armed Forces main HQ in Manila, and close to the vital Infantry Divisions in the Visayas, Mindanao and Luzon ---- rapid deployment is very feasibile.

I am very excited as well , as you may know, since Japan has mentioned an intent to fund the building of the naval base, as well as to develop surrounding supporting structures. :)

Japan and U.S. to establish military bases in the Philippines

Now, as to the location of Oyster Bay, its in a beautiful location.

hqdefault.jpg

ulu11.gif

El_Nido_Palawan_1.jpg

The naval base will expand this region.... ;)

Its is that why we building it their plus it cut time for refueling and supply etc especially islands and ships

Its is that why we building it their plus it cut time for refueling and supply etc especially islands and ships

Precisely, pare. Ang lokasyon sa Oyster Bay ay within sa vecindad sa Malampaya Gas Fields, at chaka sa vital attols yon sa Spratlys. Ang rason sa development sa Oyster Bay Naval Base ay na palagian ang patrol sa Philippine Navy diyan. Hindi na ma balik sa Cavite Naval Base, dahil pwede na refule diyan sa Oyster Bay.

In addition, the fact that The JMSDF will be calling Oyster Bay as well as (hopefully, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one) Subic Naval Base --- that means that we can have continued presence of JMSDF Destroyer Squadrons within the Philippine Heartland , this means deployment of possibly our Izumo Class , Hyuga Class + strike group.

Since Japan will , hopefully, be basing in the Philippines, this means that the JSDF will most likely deploy necessary surface to air (ballistic missile defense) , which translates as --- Greater Manila, and the entire Western Flank of the Philippines will be covered by Japanese Air Guard + Ballistic Missile Defense.

I'm sure through this, the Japanese side will transfer appropriate air defense material to the Philippines as well. :)

halfmoon-route-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom