What's new

New naval base off Philippines’ west coast is military’s ‘top priority’

I've been studying the location of Oyster Bay in Palawan, and to be honest, its a perfect location for a naval base. Its large enough, and has a natural deep water precipice that can accomodate large ships, plus it is close to , within the vicinity that is, to the Philippine Armed Forces main HQ in Manila, and close to the vital Infantry Divisions in the Visayas, Mindanao and Luzon ---- rapid deployment is very feasibile.

I am very excited as well , as you may know, since Japan has mentioned an intent to fund the building of the naval base, as well as to develop surrounding supporting structures. :)

Japan and U.S. to establish military bases in the Philippines

Now, as to the location of Oyster Bay, its in a beautiful location.

hqdefault.jpg

ulu11.gif

El_Nido_Palawan_1.jpg

The naval base will expand this region.... ;)

Oyster bay is a better location as Subic have been converted into a civilian area as well as a tourist spot. If I remember it correctly, of all the islands in the Philippines, Palawan is the only one that is not prone to earthquakes and away from any volcanoes, compared to Subic which is "near" a once-regarded "dead" volcano.

A good view of the mouth of Oyster Bay, what is amazing about Oyster bay is that unlike most islands where there is gradual decline into the ocean, Oyster Bay plunges deep into the ocean within several meters into the water. Ideally, this is perfect for large patrol vessels, destroyers, frigates. Additionally, given its size, the Bay can accomodate a large number of ships.

Here is a view:

oysterbay.jpg

ulugan%20bay%20aerial-view.jpg

88b7a366_original.jpg

@Cossack25A1 ,

The beauty of having access to Oyster Bay is that with the proper naval refueling platform, reprovisioning , the JMSDF's fleet transport auxiliary ships wont have to worry about traversing from the Persian Gulf, Indian Ocean, the Central - Eastern Pacific and then back to Japan. Oyster Naval Base can be the staging point for JMSDF deployment abroad.

I just wonder of the strait through Oyster Bay will be able to accommodate our larger ships like the following:

DSC04648SA_3.jpg

DSC07161SA_3.jpg

DSC02707SA1.jpg

By specs, the Subic Naval Base can accommodate our larger ships hence our hoping for access to Subic Naval Base. If Oyster Bay can also accommodate, then perfect as well !

Man this is cool but again its mini subic so the number ships that can make port calls would smaller cant wait for the navy to post our new SSVs and new frigates

@Cossack25A1 ,

The beauty of having access to Oyster Bay is that with the proper naval refueling platform, reprovisioning , the JMSDF's fleet transport auxiliary ships wont have to worry about traversing from the Persian Gulf, Indian Ocean, the Central - Eastern Pacific and then back to Japan. Oyster Naval Base can be the staging point for JMSDF deployment abroad.

I just wonder of the strait through Oyster Bay will be able to accommodate our larger ships like the following:

DSC04648SA_3.jpg

DSC07161SA_3.jpg

DSC02707SA1.jpg

By specs, the Subic Naval Base can accommodate our larger ships hence our hoping for access to Subic Naval Base. If Oyster Bay can also accommodate, then perfect as well !

I can't say as when looking at maps of Oyster bay and Subic bay, it appear that Subic Bay is slightly bigger though it is far from Spratlys, but I am sure that large ships can be accommodated by Oyster Bay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom