What's new

Navy selects Sea King helicopter for Fleet Tanker

Tanker suppose to carry a single sea King and a single z9
Sea King in pn are used in SAR and anti ship role with Exocet from land bases, tanker provides a platform for sea King like pn older tanker can also accommodate heavy helo likes sea King

Z9 in pn is used for anti Sub role from ships

So tanker will have SAR, anti sub and surface capability

Sea King is capable of launching Matra Martel based Sea Eagle (IN uses/used that Westland Sea King and the Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King), MBDA Exocet (AM-39 block 1 in use by Peruvian navy ASH-3D Sea King). It also can fire MBD Sea Killer/Marte missile (e.g. Mk1 and Mk2 used by Italian navy SH-3D in the past) Sensor fits may vary by user and by whether or not modernized over time.

My question is how capable are it's sonar/guidance systems for ASuW munitions? There isn't much I could find on internet about it (and generally the public info is underrated intentionally) but I assume they wouldn't perform let's say that of a S-70B or Lynx in related criterias above. In that case a small package procurement for true multi mission maritime helicopters would be very relevant, especially considering the future vessel procurements whether or not Pakistan decides to go for Turkish or Chinese surface combatants.

Do on buying new sea king for tanker or using existing
I would think the existing ones are reaching end of service life and are in need of replacement. That would also offer an opportunity to expand the medium helicopter fleet a bit so that it is not just 6 ASW heli's but also some extra's for SAR and for Vertrep. So that you end up with a sqdr. of about 12 airframes, preferably all ASW/ASuW capable.

Can you tell the version/block of missile and its capabilities?
I'm assuming it is same as PAF, which also uses AM39 (air-launched)

AM-39 is deployed on 14 types of aircraft (combat jets, maritime patrol aircraft, helicopters) and has a range between 50 and 70 km, . If you look at the air-launched Exocet, there are four versions:
  • AM.38: Specifically for helicopters. Just a small series built between 1975–1977. Range 45 km.
  • AM.39 Block 1: Completely revised redesign. With Improved electronics and a new rocket motor. Introduced in 1979, target approach in 2-3 m height. Range 50-70 km depending on the altitude and the speed of the launch aircraft . As used in the Falklands War and the first Gulf War.
  • AM.39 Block 2 mod 1: This version is produced since 1992 and is a revised Block 1 missile with new software. It also has a revised control logic, which allows it to repeat a failed attack. Equipped with an improved rocket engine. Has a coupled GPS / INS system and a radar seeker with advanced ECCM capabilities. With a new fuse unit with selectable fusing mode. Target approach in 1,5–2 m height. Maximum range 65-75 km depending on the altitude and the speed of the launch aircraft.
  • AM.39 Block 2 mod 2: Based on the MM40 Block 3 (MM40B3 has improved INS / GPS navigation system, data link, route programmable with various 3D waypoints that allows land attack, . The missiles surface has a RAM coating. Equipped with a new penetration warhead. Importantly, use of air breathing turbojet engine, which increases range to 180km+). In development since of 2004. Program status unknown.
At best PN could operate AM39 Block 2 mod 1 (I'm not at all sure an air launched equivalent to MM-40 is currently available and, if it is, whether it has been sold to Pakistan).
Sipri arms transfer database (France to Pakistan, All,1970 - 1915) show AM-39 delivered to Pakistan in 1975 (40 missiles), including for SH-3D Sea King, with a further delivery 1982-1983 (40 missiles). This suggest initially PN and PAF used AM38 and then switched to AM39 Block 1.

A first firing of an Exocet MM40 Block 3 anti-ship missile took place March 18, 2010. So any AM-39 equivalent to MM-40 Block 3 would have to be post 2010. There is not record of that.

My question is how capable are it's sonar/guidance systems for ASuW munitions? There isn't much I could find on internet about it (and generally the public info is underrated intentionally) but I assume they wouldn't perform let's say that of a S-70B or Lynx in related criterias above. In that case a small package procurement for true multi mission maritime helicopters would be very relevant, especially considering the future vessel procurements whether or not Pakistan decides to go for Turkish or Chinese surface combatants.
As I indicated, what specific sensors and electronics are fitted depends on when and from whom the helicopter was acquired, as well as any subsequent equipment modernization may have taken place while in service. So, given the variability that thus comes about over time, it is important to be specific about which helicopter(s) of which service of which government you are referring to.

I would think the existing ones are reaching end of service life and are in need of replacement. That would also offer an opportunity to expand the medium helicopter fleet a bit so that it is not just 6 ASW heli's but also some extra's for SAR and for Vertrep. So that you end up with a sqdr. of about 12 airframes, preferably all ASW/ASuW capable.
Recently Pakistan is buying AW 139 may be few can be bought from PN to use them on fleet tanker

PN should upgrade it avionics and overhaul it's airframe and engines. Also, They should acquire more from US/UK or from any other operators.

As they can be put in service not only in PN, but also for Marines, PMSA and Coast Guards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom