What's new

NATO to boost its rapid reaction force to 300,000 troops

Vergennes

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
France
NATO will increase the strength of its rapid reaction force nearly eightfold to 300,000 troops as part of its response to an "era of strategic competition," the military alliance's secretary general said Monday.

The NATO reaction force (NRF) currently numbers around 40,000 soldiers that can deploy quickly when needed. Foreign Minister Anita Anand said in late March that Canada had up to 3,400 troops ready to serve with the NATO Response Force, made up of a mix of army, air force and naval personnel.

Coupled with other measures including the deployment of forces to defend specific allies, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the move is part of the "biggest overhaul of collective defence and deterrence since the Cold War."

"These troops will exercise together with home defence forces," Stoltenberg said. "And they will become familiar with local terrain, facilities and our new pre-positioned stocks so that they can respond smoothly and swiftly to any emergency."

In response to the Kremlin's decision to start the war, U.S. President Joe Biden and his NATO counterparts agreed in February to send thousands of troops, backed by air and naval support, to protect allies near Russia and Ukraine. The 30-nation organization decided at the time to send parts of the NRF and elements of a quickly deployable spearhead unit to the alliance's eastern flank, marking the first time the force had been used in a defence role.

Stoltenberg made the remarks at a press conference ahead of a NATO summit later this week in Madrid when the 30 allies are expected to also agree on further support to Ukraine in its war against Russia.

Stoltenberg said he expects allies to make clear they consider Russia "as the most significant and direct threat to our security." At the summit, allies will also decide to strengthen their battlegroups on NATO's eastern flanks, he said.

1240592382.jpg

In NATO's new strategic concept, the alliance is also expected to address for the first time the security challenges posed by China, Stoltenberg said. In Madrid, allies will discuss how to respond to the growing influence of Russia and China in their "southern neighbourhood," he said.

Stoltenberg said allies will agree to deliver further military support to Ukraine when they convene in Spain, with NATO members set to adopt a "strengthened comprehensive assistance package," including deliveries of secure communication and anti-drone systems.

Over the long term, Stoltenberg said allies aim to help Ukraine transition from Soviet-era armaments to modern NATO equipment. The world's seven leading economic powers underscored Monday their commitment to Ukraine for "as long as it takes."

40k to 300k is a significative increase.
Question is how and when?

The main problem here is not the size of personnel actually. It is not an easy target to increase the presence of the force 10 times by maintaining the rapid reaction capacity and very high combat readiness level, such as the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force.

The VJTF term command is currently in France. If there is a goal to reach this level within 2022, I guess it will require extraordinary efforts of the French army.

Turkey has the 2nd largest army in NATO

no doubt they will ask Turkey to step up

Turkey has the 2nd largest army in NATO

no doubt they will ask Turkey to step up
I am absolutely against it. And if my country becomes a part of it as major and forefront element, I will participate in the demonstrations in the streets.

While the countries in question impose an embargo on my country and support terrorist organizations, I am completly against to my soldiers to risk their lives for these countries' safety.

Germany says it will build the largest army in Europe. France could also have a valuable role for the European security mechanism. I'm sure the German and French soldiers will protect Europe.

I am absolutely against it. And if my country becomes a part of it as major and forefront element, I will participate in the demonstrations in the streets.

While the countries in question impose an embargo on my country and support terrorist organizations, I am completly against to my soldiers to risk their lives for these countries' safety.

Germany says it will build the largest army in Europe. France could also have a valuable role for the European security mechanism. I'm sure the German and French soldiers will protect Europe.

Wise decision. Turkish forces should not be used as toilet paper for NATO cause.

Lets see it happening. I seriously doubt Europe is going increase the number of troops in a serious manner. Most countries are probably going to pretend that brigades that only exist on paper are deployable in this rapid reaction force.
The US really needs to put some preasure on Europe, eventhough Russia is showing its aggressive expansionism.

No that's Pakistans role, for as long as the establishment rules our country..

this incessant self flagellation is getting old, the topic has nothing to do with Pakistan or the much maligned "establishment". On topic, 300,000 is a lot, who knows these guys may eventually end up fishing Putin from a Moscow sewer à la Gaddafi. Here's hoping Putin grows a brain and doesn't attack a NATO member.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom