What's new

National Air Defense Command (NADCOM) - Updates & Discussions.

Grow-up man,
MIG-21 & MIG-27 are the plane which were shot down by manpads.
None of MIRAG & JAGUAR was shot down by them.
Now few points...

These plane are in low altitude recogniz mission, & very old platform & that region is also Himalayan.
Now nearly all fighters are able to drop laser bomb in IAF & war is not just concern in J&K.

So if you are leaving your all air defense onto manpads & on fighters, than only god can save you.
Also manpads for base defense in very unlikely, I never heard like this before. They just provide very low altitude safeguard(max 4 km) & only useful for infantry where CAS is immediate threat.

I recommend you read before you post something like "Grow up man". Read the first word he wrote in his comment. He's pretty much saying the same thing you did.

Better Get these fast because drones are in and soon planes will try to get in as well.

:rofl: 300 meters to be precise

joke aside, there is some out of the box thinking there and I must give a hint that some radical approaches adapted for airborne early warning so I would cut him some slack.

if a self stabilizing platform (a bucket) can be made that accommodates say two missile launch tubes of MANPAD category and then tie it underneath a helium balloon then this might be an interesting mix. the cost, effort and practicality will be a consideration vs the perceived benefit.such Balloons are already deployed as a passive defence and some carry sensors as well in different parts of Pakistan and they are as high as a good 800 to 1000 m high, tied and restrained by strings. adding mountains into the mix will further enhance their range.

on their own these balloons act as a passive area denial in the narrow pathways of the valley for low flying hostile aircrafts and are meant to destroy the aircraft on impact if the pilot is not fast enough to avoid them. I have lived and visited places where they were deployed in the air when the things got jittery with our Eastern neighbour and pulled back to ground when things calmed down.

Here is one such in ADA.

553733_487208561330096_1721650811_n.jpg

Last time I saw these balloons, they were bright orange!!! Maybe because it was just peace time hence the visible colour.

are these ADA's useful in the 21st ceuntry given BVRs,modern radar & avionic suits? or are they outdated since the 80s and early 90s?

I have quoted a post by Irfan Baloch, please read it. He has mentioned about the role.

if a self stabilizing platform (a bucket) can be made that accommodates say two missile launch tubes of MANPAD category and then tie it underneath a helium balloon then this might be an interesting mix. the cost, effort and practicality will be a consideration vs the perceived benefit.such Balloons are already deployed as a passive defence and some carry sensors as well in different parts of Pakistan and they are as high as a good 800 to 1000 m high, tied and restrained by strings. adding mountains into the mix will further enhance their range.

on their own these balloons act as a passive area denial in the narrow pathways of the valley for low flying hostile aircrafts and are meant to destroy the aircraft on impact if the pilot is not fast enough to avoid them. I have lived and visited places where they were deployed in the air when the things got jittery with our Eastern neighbour and pulled back to ground when things calmed down.

Such Air balloons are a substitute for air-borne surveillance and are quiet effective and cheap IAF uses such balloons[containing radars] which are bigger in size to monitor air space and ground movement of troops across the border... using MANPAD like Anza on such balloon these days is close to stupidity as most modern aircraft and helos have flairs which can fool missiles like anza until anza uses a dual band seeker which would make the missile a lot bigger and close to air-air WVR missiles in size.

Last time I saw these balloons, they were bright orange!!! Maybe because it was just peace time hence the visible colour.

Such could've been used for testing and target practice for WVR missiles.

Such could've been used for testing and target practice for WVR missiles.

Sorry, no WVR testing in Kahuta in between mountains!!! And anyways, they were lowered and tethered to the ground.

Sorry, no WVR testing in Kahuta in between mountains!!! And anyways, they were lowered and tethered to the ground.

Target practice baloons are too usually tethered to the ground else they can fly anywhere... you may be correct about the part... I thought such since the bright and flashy colors are usual choice to test WVR air-air missiles.

Perhaps the choice of color was made to alert helos and other low flying aircraft in or near those valleys.

These are highly effective defensive weapons. If the enemy releases a runway penetration bomb, the bomb will bounce back from these balloons and will, if luck is on our side, will hit the enemy air asset. Enemy intelligence has advised against hitting bases which are protected by this web of balloons...
Here is one such in ADA.

553733_487208561330096_1721650811_n.jpg

are these ADA's useful in the 21st ceuntry given BVRs,modern radar & avionic suits? or are they outdated since the 80s and early 90s?

thesw ballons surely cause trouble for low altitude jets....
they r always great defense equip...
they can cause bomb to reflect back from target...i.e if such ballons r deployed on an airbase and if that airbase is under attack by hostile fighters then they play crucial role..
well we have many things causing small troubles...
and when these small troubles combine they change into a biggggg trouble.... :D

According to H Khan(Pakdef):

Pakistan has tested and evaluated HQ-16A SAM system and they are very pleased with it.

Pakistan has requested to produce this missile in Pakistan.

Pakistan wants to test and evaluate FD-2000D SAM system also.

Initially Pakistan wants to purchase one battalion of HQ-16A.

Back
Top Bottom