What's new

N Korea extends 10-year military conscription

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
Posted by Maki Catama on 7:05 PM with

f9a83e32f621d88ff46b54df923ecadc.jpg
North Korean soldiers march during the parade.

PYONGYANG, -- North Korea is introducing a “voluntary” extension of its national service due to a critical shortage of troops in the country.

Mandatory service in the country’s 1.19 million-strong military already stands at 10 years, and is the longest conscription period in the world.

Pyongyang is also conscripting more women into its armed forces, defectors to South Korea told The Korea Herald.

“The North has yet to officially announce its policy to extend the term, but I have heard that the ruling party has been encouraging soldiers to volunteer to serve one or more years beyond their service period,” Jang Se-yul, who served in the North Korean military for 12 years before escaping to the South, told the paper.

Jang added that the conscripts are being urged to demonstrate their loyalty to Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader.

The troop shortage is in large part due to the devastating famine that affected North Korea in the mid-1990s.

Referred to as the “Arduous March” in the North, as many as 3.5 million of North Korea’s 22 million citizens died of starvation or malnutrition caused by chronic economic mismanagement, natural disasters, and the policy of prioritising the armed forces.

The majority of the victims were children, meaning there are now fewer young people of conscription age.

Even though it has the largest army per capita in the world, North Korea’s conscripts lead difficult lives. Images and video footage smuggled out of the country by “citizen journalists” working for Japan-based Asiapress International news agency show junior conscripts foraging for food.

North Korean men are required to join the military at the age of 17 and serve for a decade. Women serve for seven years and are similarly summoned into different arms of the Korean People’s Army. Some estimates suggest that as much as 22 per cent of the North Korean military is made up of women.

As well as undergoing intensive training, the military provides a large source of cheap labour when the regime requires it.

In early 2013, troops were mobilised to construct a “world-class” ski resort at Masik Pass to rival the winter sports facilities being built in South Korea to host the 2018 Winter Olympic Games.

Kim, a keen skier thanks to the years he spent at a private school in Switzerland, was given a guided tour of the resort.

“He was greatly satisfied to learn that soldier-builders have constructed a skiing area on mountain ranges covering hundreds of thousands of square metres,” the KCNA state press agency reported.

The army is also sent into the fields every autumn to help collect crops by hand.

N Korea extends 10-year military conscription ~ ASEAN Military Defense Review

Best Korea indeed...

Next 10 years N.Korea is very dangerous, Kim's government might collapse.

great way to waste capable work force in meaningless show of power and feelgoods, how about instead put those young folks in their best years into agriculture and industrial sector / communes, although there are structural problems and lacking in many areas I am certain at least some nations would be willing to help for some limited reduction of millitary force, first of all everybody would be happy to see NK moving into the right direction in the missle/nuke issues and some deals of aids could be made to substantially improve the lives of north korean people.

great way to waste capable work force in meaningless show of power and feelgoods, how about instead put those young folks in their best years into agriculture and industrial sector / communes, although there are structural problems and lacking in many areas I am certain at least some nations would be willing to help for some limited reduction of millitary force, first of all everybody would be happy to see NK moving into the right direction in the missle/nuke issues and some deals of aids could be made to substantially improve the lives of north korean people.

Tell that to Kim.

There's a power struggle going on in the Korean Worker's Party between the military and the bureaucrats. There are those who want to continue with a military first policy to keep the country united in poverty and those who want to divert resources to make more consumer goods and ease hardship. Lil' Kim is caught in the middle and it will lead to his eventual downfall in the next decade.

I have expected that he already knows something from his study in Europe, but if all he did was paying attention to swiss cheese then it would be unlikely for he to listen to reason anyway..

I used to have great hope for him, but now I'm cynical about changes in North Korea.

There's a power struggle going on in the Korean Worker's Party between the military and the bureaucrats. There are those who want to continue with a military first policy to keep the country united in poverty and those who want to divert resources to make more consumer goods and ease hardship. Lil' Kim is caught in the middle and it will lead to his eventual downfall in the next decade.

Thats interesting, normally the current situation cant hold for long, united in poverty could only hold up if essential needs are covered somehow, but north korea is heading for even deeper trouble at the current course.

I used to have great hope for him, but now I'm cynical about changes in North Korea.

Well to be honest I am more disappointed in his great looks, I mean I have expected that he would have the similiar apperance like his father but at least not yet at this age (damn those cheese). And about his personality and quality as ruler I never had much hope, first of all power corruptes and the absolute power is being kept within one family for generation, and more importantly I have heard about too many cases of stupidity in his family, older son of old Kim is always involved in something, like gambling in macau or getting caught on way to disneyland in Japan, I thought that his other brother couldnt be worse but there shouldnt be much expectation either, his behaviour is telling something about the upbringing in the royal family

Still as mentioned before I have expect at least a bit more since he has studied outside, cant be that blind to see the image problem of his country and the real capabilities compared with others, thought he would at least value good relationship with china and put through economic reform ASAP, I was wrong:sad:

i don't understand why is north korea so disrespected on pdf... what is this number "3.5 million who died of starvation"... what of the four million north koreans who were killed by usa/uno invaders in the korea war... what of the general self-sufficiency of democratic people's republic of korea...

i am disappointed by the chinese members who talk against dprk...

i don't understand why is north korea so disrespected on pdf... what is this number "3.5 million who died of starvation"... what of the four million north koreans who were killed by usa/uno invaders in the korea war... what of the general self-sufficiency of democratic people's republic of korea...

i am disappointed by the chinese members who talk against dprk...

You dont understand, there is no such thing as talk against dprk, its the sadness to see them moving on the course towards doom, especially chinese have sacrificed much for them and we understand much of their problems caused by blockade and isolation put by the US & co. from our own experiences, still that is no reason to move to the extrem hermit route and always does the complete opposite things as everybody around (including russia and China) would like to see, nothing would please chinese more than to see a stable safe north korea in prosperity (and unity with south without american troops attached), instead we see they move by one family course hell bend on to prove how much trouble they could make for everybody around, as a chinese I would like to see the stop of all aids somehow related to keep their war toys from running until their leader start listen to reasons, on the other hand I would never advocate stop aids related to the survival of north korean people. (and nope firing shots, testing nukes or getting more troops are not essential to survival at current state)

Thats interesting, normally the current situation cant hold for long, united in poverty could only hold up if essential needs are covered somehow, but north korea is heading for even deeper trouble at the current course.

They don't like to talk about it but they've began to tolerate some market mechanisms to feed their people like allowing farmers to produce private crops etc. They've been going with military first for 20 years and the increase in national service probably means the military guys are winning. It's only a matter of time until it all falls apart, maybe through a military coup.

Back
Top Bottom