What's new

Myanmar’s military council restricts exports to Bangladesh via Maungdaw, reports local media

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Myanmar’s military council restricts exports to Bangladesh via Maungdaw, reports local media

BANGLADESH

TBS Report
08 September, 2023, 08:30 pm
Last modified: 08 September, 2023, 08:35 pm

The move comes following a decision by the state-owned Sonali Bank to freeze two major Myanmar banks’ assets, reports Myanmar Now, a Yangon-based news agency.​

Image: UNB

Myanmar's junta has prohibited the export of various food commodities to Bangladesh via Maungdaw, Rakhine State, local media reported on Friday (8 September).

The move comes following a decision by Bangladesh's Sonali Bank to freeze two major Myanmar banks' assets, reports Myanmar Now, a Yangon-based news agency.

US wants Sonali Bank to close accounts in two Myanmar banks

According to the report, the military regime's ministry of commerce announced on 1 September that the restricted goods—including rice, beans, peanuts, and onions—must be shipped only through the commercial zone in the Rakhine State capital of Sittwe, saying the order would come into effect on September 4," reports the news agency.

Cenbank advises against transacting with 2 Myanmar banks under US sanctions
"Sonali Bank imposed restrictions, which could lead to the smuggling of people and goods," it reported quoting Myint Thura, director general of the junta commerce ministry's trade department.

"That is why people need to export through Sittwe, to prevent smuggling," Myint Thura added.

State lender Sonali Bank recently froze $1.4M in accounts of two junta-controlled banks – Myanmar Foreign Trade Bank, Myanmar Investment and Commercial Bank– following a request from the US government to the Bangladesh Foreign ministry, The Business Standard reported on 16 August.

Later on 5 September, the Bangladesh Bank advised all not to conduct any transactions with the two banks in Myanmar that are under US sanctions.

Since, Myanmar is our next door neighbor the shipping cost won't be much even if we trade through sittwe port.

Many types of fresh, salty and dry fishes enter BD from MM through the Msungdau, Our traders and consumers will suffer with the Burmese restrictions on export to BD. Even our export will suffer. But, who can challenge Uncle Sam?

However, I believe smuggling cases will rise. But I will be happy if Burmese narcotics do not enter BD.

Last edited:
Many types of fresh, salty and dry fishes enter BD from MM through the Msungdau, Our traders and consumers will suffer with the Burmese restrictions on export to BD. Even our export will suffer. But, who can challenge Uncle Sam?

However, I believe smuggling cases will rise. But I will be happy if Burmese narcotics do not enter BD.

It’s probably worth taking a hit on this.

Burmese Buddhists are a narco state.

Good, let them restrict trade as much as they want. Insignificant Trade volume with Myanmar does not justify the risk of getting sanctioned from US for continuing business relationship with sanctioned entities.

The million dollar question is, will USA help us in repatriating Rohingyas to their homeland?

The million dollar question is, will USA help us in repatriating Rohingyas to their homeland?
Why are you begging from the Americans who you dislike when you should ask China , Surely the Chinese will always help.

Why are you begging from the Americans who you dislike when you should ask China , Surely the Chinese will always help.
USA voluntarily offered us help in repatriating Rohingyas to their homeland. We didn't ask for any help from them.

To all Bangladeshi friends.

The Chinese people support Bangladesh use of force against Myanmar.

View attachment 952428
Could you please translate the writings in English? I cannot read Chinese. By the by, many thanks to our Chinese friends for supporting us.:-)

Could you please translate the writings in English? I cannot read Chinese. By the by, many thanks to our Chinese friends for supporting us.:-)
emm....... I think it's best not to translate.

I am just paraphrasing what most Chinese people want to say. ~ “Although we cannot ask China to send troops to control Myanmar. But we hope that any other country can destroy Myanmar. At least destroy northern Myanmar.”

I am just paraphrasing what most Chinese people want to say. ~ “Although we cannot ask China to send troops to control Myanmar. But we hope that any other country can destroy Myanmar. At least destroy northern Myanmar.”

Thanks a bunch, my friend.:-)

It’s time Burma was curved up between China and Bangladesh.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom