What's new

My experience in POF as intern, improvements need of time.

furqanusafzai

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
things i recommended to POF officials in the end of my 1 month internshi[p.Though reports literaly rest finaly in junks,never looked upon.
Based on my observation during visits, and my firm belief in “always improving never satisfied” principle, results I concluded are:

Ø Precautions and safety must be observed strictly, since most of the workers do not follow proper safety measures, like concentrated acids are handled with bare hands that God Forbid can result in a serious Injury.

Ø With “efficiency and economy’s” tagline in mind Plants should be synchronized with latest 21st century technologies, Plant Control systems if feasible should be migrated to latest computer controlled systems as it will boost efficiency and reliability.

Ø Many plants are shut for a reasonable duration which increases product cost, policies regarding commercial export should be revised and marketing teams consisting enthusiastic experts should be introduced.

Ø Research and Development projects should be initiated in collaboration with leading Institutes of the country to develop more productive stuff and improve existing technologies.

Ø
clip_image002.gif
Projects related to enhancement of process units should be encouraged and handed to fresh graduating engineers; result will be economically viable and productive innovative solution.

Apart from formalities.What i really observed was,the moment you enter factory,you literally feel being back in early 80's.People working there are extremely decent humans one can interact with,from labors to General Managers,you won;t meet better human beings,caring,supportive,hospitable and very generous in sharing there experiences and knowledge.Unfortunately trend to latest technologies is null,research is null,innovation and competitions are hardly known concepts.There is a need of introducing innovative engineers,graduates from leading institutes of country.In factories,research centers are supposed to initiated,old technologies are supposed to be upgraded.Governance board must be chaired by independent commission independent of political and establishment influence.I didn't find any eager for better than good in there,which is mandatory for improving performance.

This is the problem pretty much everywhere in Public sector in Pakistan. Those who want to make a difference are ridiculed at and paid peanuts for their efforts. No wonder engineers and scientists educated abroad don't want to come back. But this is only possible if more civilian control is given, so capital outside of the public funds can be utilized and people with varying experience can actually do what they feel will benefit.

But still, they are better than PIA or Railways. You don't want to be an internee there. Unless you piss somebody off really bad.

May be your observation are good enough for authorities, i hereafter clear you that the security is very critical in POF,
"As ma Ha atna kuch ha Kai Soch Ha App Key":sniper:
i heir some claim that there are some kids of existing authorities take some law into hands where authorities are not serious regarding this issue, may be your observation are right on time. :pakistan:

things i recommended to POF officials in the end of my 1 month internshi[p.Though reports literaly rest finaly in junks,never looked upon.
Based on my observation during visits, and my firm belief in “always improving never satisfied” principle, results I concluded are:

Ø Precautions and safety must be observed strictly, since most of the workers do not follow proper safety measures, like concentrated acids are handled with bare hands that God Forbid can result in a serious Injury.

Ø With “efficiency and economy’s” tagline in mind Plants should be synchronized with latest 21st century technologies, Plant Control systems if feasible should be migrated to latest computer controlled systems as it will boost efficiency and reliability.

Ø Many plants are shut for a reasonable duration which increases product cost, policies regarding commercial export should be revised and marketing teams consisting enthusiastic experts should be introduced.

Ø Research and Development projects should be initiated in collaboration with leading Institutes of the country to develop more productive stuff and improve existing technologies.

Ø
clip_image002.gif
Projects related to enhancement of process units should be encouraged and handed to fresh graduating engineers; result will be economically viable and productive innovative solution.

Apart from formalities.What i really observed was,the moment you enter factory,you literally feel being back in early 80's.People working there are extremely decent humans one can interact with,from labors to General Managers,you won;t meet better human beings,caring,supportive,hospitable and very generous in sharing there experiences and knowledge.Unfortunately trend to latest technologies is null,research is null,innovation and competitions are hardly known concepts.There is a need of introducing innovative engineers,graduates from leading institutes of country.In factories,research centers are supposed to initiated,old technologies are supposed to be upgraded.Governance board must be chaired by independent commission independent of political and establishment influence.I didn't find any eager for better than good in there,which is mandatory for improving performance.

This being the main problem country wide in majority of old companies. But since you mentioned an arms factory let me point you towards Daudsons Armory. They are also an old company who have transformed themselves with educated blood. They have completely revitalized their business practices and slowly but surely should do very well in the local and international markets.

This being the main problem country wide in majority of old companies. But since you mentioned an arms factory let me point you towards Daudsons Armory. They are also an old company who have transformed themselves with educated blood. They have completely revitalized their business practices and slowly but surely should do very well in the local and international markets.
Problem is sir running in parallel with 21st century,where state of the art technologies,dedicated staff and marketing tactics matter.Don't we need to adopt marketing tactics to attract customers.Like u sir mentioned Daudsons Armory,look at their official site.Is this how you market products,official website is reception center.A high school graduate would design a better site.
And i am talking about our defence backbone industry,they need to be far better than this.I know institutes like Lums/IBA/GIKI,NUST produces far better graduates who are equipped with innovation and marketing skills.None of them work in much needed industries.Multinational companies hire them! we should atleast ask them to serve vital industries.

May be your observation are good enough for authorities, i hereafter clear you that the security is very critical in POF,
"As ma Ha atna kuch ha Kai Soch Ha App Key":sniper:
i heir some claim that there are some kids of existing authorities take some law into hands where authorities are not serious regarding this issue, may be your observation are right on time. :pakistan:
Their security is amazingly tight! one feels secure most there :P

Problem is sir running in parallel with 21st century,where state of the art technologies,dedicated staff and marketing tactics matter.Don't we need to adopt marketing tactics to attract customers.Like u sir mentioned Daudsons Armory,look at their official site.Is this how you market products,official website is reception center.A high school graduate would design a better site.
And i am talking about our defence backbone industry,they need to be far better than this.I know institutes like Lums/IBA/GIKI,NUST produces far better graduates who are equipped with innovation and marketing skills.None of them work in much needed industries.Multinational companies hire them! we should atleast ask them to serve vital industries.

Good points. All the things you mentioned cost money. LUMS IBA Graduates, expensive websites and fancy offices cost money that will eventually add on to the product they are trying to sell. Not saying it will not happen but its a risky proposition. Daudsons are doing it the right way. Make a product that is well machined and succeed in competing with imported weapons which are still decades ahead of them. The only thing that's in their favor is the price. They would want to get as much advantage from that as possible and gauge customer reaction before expanding into marketing and advertising. If they had the capital they would have done what dairy milk did and go on a media blitzkrieg. Every company is different. Some are doing what you mentioned very successfully. Daudsons and POF are gun companies. They have different sales numbers and margins to work with and the return on investment has to make sense for them to be enticed into performing the way you would like them to.

I agree with your every point. R&D is also rare in our educational institutions. However, funding and priority is issue for institutions. But our defence institutions can improve the situation not only for themselves but academia as well.

DOD/DARPA is best example how USA unites academia and their research projects.

Last edited:
being a state enterprise POF needs infusion of USD 500m (reported 2-3 years ago) to improve its safety and efficiency and to be able to compete with the international community. POF marketing is poor at best. majority of products are made for the armed forces on a requirement basis (quality is good but not best). POF needs to be privatised so that it can become a profit-making organisation which can re-invest its profits to make it a modern arms manufacturer.

another case.....
in 6 years PAC-Kamra has produced 8 JF-17 aircraft/year bcuz PAF is its only client, whereas it has a capacity to produce 20-25 aircraft/year.
POF-Wah has producted only 320 AK1's since at least 10 years. thats roughly 30 tanks a year whereas the capacity is much more.....this is all about in-efficiencies and poor marketing.

Last edited:
Generals cannot run such enterprises.....qualified engineers with MBA's is the requirement of the day.

being a state enterprise POF needs infusion of USD 500m (reported 2-3 years ago) to improve its safety and efficiency and to be able to compete with the international community. POF marketing is poor at best. majority of products are made for the armed forces on a requirement basis (quality is good but not best). POF needs to be privatised so that it can become a profit-making organisation which can re-invest its profits to make it a modern arms manufacturer.

another case.....
in 6 years PAC-Kamra has produced 8 JF-17 aircraft/year bcuz PAF is its only client, whereas it has a capacity to produce 20-25 aircraft/year.
POF-Wah has producted only 320 AK1's since at least 10 years. thats roughly 30 tanks a year whereas the capacity is much more.....this is all about in-efficiencies and poor marketing.

420 Aks are in service.

doudsons is private??
do they design their own products?? or license??

doudsons is private??
do they design their own products?? or license??

They are a very old private company. They excelled in making low cost shotguns. They have their own designs duplicating various foreign popular weapons. Lately they have started a business model overhaul rather successfully into pistols. The hype is big and lots of videos spread of their testings. Lets see how it turns out. I am rooting for them and in line to buy their next pistol when weather permits.

Son, first of all GIKI, NUST and many other universities of Pakistan aren't that good to begin with (when comparing with the rest of the best)........ they are just good enough for the subcontinent..... secondly don't waste your time in Pakistan, I'd recommend that you go out and study further from an actually awesome university, so that your future is truly bright.

Various multinationals that do recruit from Pakistani universities / or from within Pakistan don't actually hire out of the awesomeness of the talent, rather various other reasons. Same is true for India etc etc.

Now on topic, PoF is a government organization - it will NEVER improve!!!!! I've known people who have actually wasted their lives at such institutions (young engineers who graduated from some of the best universities abroad, who had bright futures ahead of them - no longer have any). So be smart and make wise choices.

Ø
clip_image002.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom