What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian legal system is quite funny. I must say, for a terrorist that massacred more than a 100 Indians as well as guests of India from different countries, a terrorist of such notoriety has the right to appeal to a courts and ask the president for a pardon!

As an ex-soldier myself I must say that a pardon of this nature would be an insult to the soldiers of your country who died fighting these terrorists. No court in Europe would ever even consider offering a terrorist the option of a pardon from one of our countries' top leaders

Somebody better remind this guy that most European countries don't have the death penalty.

About the verdict, i'm disappointed to be honest. I would have preferred he would have been given Life imprisonment. Not because i have any sympathy for him, but because i believe that giving the death penalty is immoral.

Indian legal system is quite funny. I must say, for a terrorist that massacred more than a 100 Indians as well as guests of India from different countries, a terrorist of such notoriety has the right to appeal to a courts and ask the president for a pardon!

As an ex-soldier myself I must say that a pardon of this nature would be an insult to the soldiers of your country who died fighting these terrorists. No court in Europe would ever even consider offering a terrorist the option of a pardon from one of our countries' top leaders.

Laughable!

When on a death row it not the hangman's noose but the "waiting" which kills you. Some lawyers believe its truly inhumane to make a person on death row wait for years(and is no less than what he deserves).
Terrorists like Kasab came prepared to die thinking once he embraces "the greater cause" it ll be over within minutes he ll be with his 72 virgins and bowls Biryani enjoying his afterlife.
I say "not so soon".
let him rot in his solitary confinement till he begs for his death.

In his case appeals are just a formality and his death by hanging a forgone conclusion.

plus laws can not be changed according to convenience of the accused or prosecution.

Firstly, the Indian judicial system is not exactly Texas. Capital punishment is very, very rare. So much so that the last hangman in Bombay or Maharashtra retired in 2004. They will have to get one. And the case will go to High Court and then the Supreme Court. Even then if the sentence is upheld, the President can still grant a pardon. Bottom line - Kasab's gonna be around for another 5 years at least.

I too am against capital punishment. He might have been brain-washed but that is no excuse - how can you shoot a child? There is something called conscience - he clearly had none. Capital punishment in such a case is apt.

It's not about whether he has a conscious or not. Its about whether the society we live in is Humane or not. All this talk of dismembering him from limb to limb, cutting him into little pieces, etc by some members here says otherwise. We as a society profess to be better than those terrorist masterminds and then our anchors celebrate the death sentence as if it is some sort of victory. Finding him guilty is justice. Giving him the death penalty is blood-lust.

It's not about whether he has a conscious or not. Its about whether the society we live in is Humane or not. All this talk of dismembering him from limb to limb, cutting him into little pieces, etc by some members here says otherwise. We as a society profess to be better than those terrorist masterminds and then our anchors celebrate the death sentence as if it is some sort of victory. Finding him guilty is justice. Giving him the death penalty is blood-lust.

I dont agree at all to your last statement. The talk of chopping him off etc is all rhetoric and an expression of outrage at what he did. I am sure the members making these suggestions would probably faint if they saw a video of that happeneing. So leaving that aside, why should he not be hanged. ? From where I stand, its no different than killing the terrorists that infiltrate into Kashmir and attack civilians. The deaths he caused were not incidental and they didnt happen by chance. His sole purpose was to kill as many as he could. Why would anyone want to keep him alive. The sole purpose of awarding life sentence instead of death is when there is a hope of rehabilitation. The courts were convinced that there was none here..

Somebody better remind this guy that most European countries don't have the death penalty.

About the verdict, i'm disappointed to be honest. I would have preferred he would have been given Life imprisonment. Not because i have any sympathy for him, but because i believe that giving the death penalty is immoral.

That would have been impossible unless death penalty itself had been abolished. If this case did not merit the imposition of the death penalty, then it would almost become impossible to impose it for any other case under consideration. I am aware that you are stating your position on capital punishment but there could be no doubt of what kind of punishment this guy was going to receive. Judges have no choice but to follow the law.

In societies such as ours where individual liberties are not as prized as in Europe, a life sentence is not necessarily as big a deterrent as it is there. I actually feel that as a country, we execute far fewer people than we should. We also allow politicians to subvert the legal process where by a person sentenced to death is actually given a temporary/permanent reprieve without it being announced as such by dragging out the case for mercy petition. To prevent the hanging of Afzal Guru, the government is sitting on the mercy petitions of the others so as to not undermine their case about the queue.

Last edited:
That would have been impossible unless death penalty itself had been abolished. If this case did not merit the imposition of the death penalty, then it would almost become impossible to impose it for any other case under consideration. I am aware that you are stating your position on capital punishment but there could be no doubt of what kind of punishment this guy was going to receive. Judges have no choice but to follow the law.

Oh i agree, there was no question that he would have gotten the death penalty. If there is a case that fits the "rarest of the rare" criteria, it was him.

I'm disappointed because i'm personally against the death penalty.

leaving that aside, why should he not be hanged. ? From where I stand, its no different than killing the terrorists that infiltrate into Kashmir and attack civilians.

There is a huge difference. Kasab is not a threat anymore. When you're facing a terrorist with a gun, you have every right to take him out. Self defence. Hanging him after he has been found guilty is not self defence. It is an act of vengeance. We as a society should be above such things.

Instead of celebrating his death sentence and calling it a "victory" for India (Which is quite strange in itself) we should be remembering the victims of that day.

Why would anyone want to keep him alive.

So that he doesnt become a martyr. I much rather have him rot in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. Come to think of it, Life imprisonment in solitary confinement is a worse punishment. There is quick release in death. He was prepared to die when he came here, why give him the satisfaction. Let him rot.

The sole purpose of awarding life sentence instead of death is when there is a hope of rehabilitation. The courts were convinced that there was none here..

Perhaps, but can you or anybody say that with absolute certainty? Don't forget Kasab is a 22 year old boy. He's even younger than me. All his life he has been brainwashed to kill infidels and go to paradise. Again not defending him but the situation in which he was brought up made him who he was, don't forget that.

I even could say yes to the death penalty for the masterminds of 26/11, these @##@@@ don't deserve to live for a day. But brainwashed footsoldiers like Kasab? It will serve no purpose to hang him.

In European countries, special forces also make it a point to clean out all the scum right away rather than treating them with 2 years of taxpayers' money. A recent report forwarded to me speaks of the volume of money that your government shelled out on this madman.

Also, European authorities don't get delayed by 10 hours to reach a hostage situation and end up getting 150+ innocent civilians massacred. Heard about the SAS, GSG-9, GIGN? Do check them.

Regarding your opinion about "immorality" of killing terrorists, I'd assume you won't even defend yourself in case of an attack. Your country reserved the right to kill all of these terrorists instantly with minimum casualties to your own. And that didn't happen. 170+ Indians and foreign nationals got massacred, a religious house was decimated, your forces suffered significant casualties, after that your government had to spend taxpayer's money on a terrorist who according to news articles took your system through a roller-coaster of confessions and false denials.

And then what has happened? Fortunately, our authorities aren't so politically correct as to keep militants alive on taxpayers' money.

MUMBAI: A Jewish centre targeted in Islamist militants' deadly attacks on Mumbai nearly 18 months ago will open a museum honouring the people killed there, it was reported Friday.

Rabbi Nachman Holtzberg, whose son Gavriel and daughter-in-law Rivka were killed in the assault, said a small memorial and educational centre would be created at the five-storey Nariman House complex in the south of the city.

"The fifth floor of the building will be set up exactly the way it was when my son, daughter-in-law and little baby Moshe used to live there," he was quoted as saying by the Mumbai Mirror newspaper.

"Moshe doesn't fully understand what happened but he's happy that there will be a museum in memory of his parents. His room, too, will be re-made as it was before," he told the tabloid by phone from Israel.

"It will have his cot, his toys and a painting made by his parents that now has bullet holes in it."

The daily said some of the couple's belongings that were not destroyed in the attack would also be displayed. An educational centre and synagogue would be housed on other floors, Holtzberg added.

Six people, including the Holtzbergs, were killed when two heavily armed gunman stormed Nariman House on the evening of November 26, 2008.

Run by the US-based orthodox Chabad-Lubavitch movement, the centre, which is still scarred by bullets and fire, operated as an open house for visiting Jews and the local community.

The attack was part of a series of co-ordinated assaults on high-profile targets in Mumbai which left 166 people dead and more than 300 injured.

The only one of the 10 gunman to survive was last week convicted and sentenced to death.

The Holtzberg's son, Moshe, now aged three, escaped the carnage after being plucked to safety by his Indian nanny.

Rabbi Avraham Berkowitz, director of a relief fund set up after the attacks, said last year that the Holtzbergs would have wanted to rebuild Nariman House, making it "stronger and better than before".

"That's what we are committed to do... It's for the whole of Mumbai, for the world to show that terror will not prevail and goodness will prevail in the world," he added.

Hope we also keep the pictures of the terrorist killed with their name, photograph, their native and finally their dead bodies pics in the museum too.

What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai 26/11 victims

Ratan Tata is the chairman of Indian Hotels who own the Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai, which was the target of the terrorists on 26/11/08.

Hotel President a 5 star property also belongs to Indian Hotels.

The following is really touching.

What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai victims.... Don't miss!!!!!!

SALUTE TO MR. RATAN TATA :cheers:

A. The Tata Gesture

1. All category of employees including those who had completed even 1 day as casuals were treated on duty during the time the hotel was closed.

2. Relief and assistance to all those who were injured and killed

3. The relief and assistance was extended to all those who died at the railway station, surroundings including the “Pav- Bha ji” vendor and the pan shop owners.

4. During the time the hotel was closed, the salaries were sent by money order.

5. A psychiatric cell was established in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences to counsel those who needed such help.

6. The thoughts and anxieties going on people’s mind was constantly tracked and where needed psychological help provided.

7. Employee outreach centers were opened where all help, food, water, sanitation, first aid and counseling was provided. 1600 employees were covered by this facility.

8. Every employee was assigned to one mentor and it was that person’s responsibility to act as a “single window” clearance for any help that the person required.

9. Ratan Tata personally visited the families of all the 80 employees who in some manner – either through injury or getting killed – were affected. The family members were touched by this gesture.

10. The dependents of the employees were flown from outside Mumbai to Mumbai and taken care off in terms of ensuring mental assurance and peace. They were all accommodated in Hotel President for 3 weeks.

11. Ratan Tata himself asked the families and dependents – as to what they wanted him to do.

12. In a record time of 20 days, a new trust was created by the Tatas for the purpose of relief of employees.

13. What is unique is that even the other people, the railway employees, the police staff, the pedestrians who had nothing to do with Tatas were covered by compensation. Each one of them was provided subsistence allowance of Rs. 10K per month for all these people for 6 months.

14. A 4 year old granddaughter of a vendor got 4 bullets in her and only one was removed in the Government hospital. She was taken to Bombay hospital and several lacs were spent by the Tatas on her to fully recover her.

15. New hand carts were provided to several street vendors who lost their carts.

16. Tata will take responsibility of life education of 46 children of the victims of the terror.

17. This was the most trying period in the life of the organization. Senior managers including Ratan Tata were visiting funeral to funeral over the 3 days that were most horrible.

18. The settlement for every deceased member ranged from Rs. 36 to 85 lacs [One lakh rupees tranlates to approx 2200 US $ ] in addition to the following benefits:

a. Full last salary for life for the family and dependents;

b. Complete responsibility of education of children and dependents – anywhere in the world.

c. Full Medical facility for the whole family and dependents for rest of their life.

d. All loans and advances were waived off – irrespective of the amount.

e. Counselor for life for each person

B. Epilogue

1. How was such passion created among the employees? How and why did they behave the way they did?

2. The organization is clear that it is not something that someone can take credit for. It is not some training and development that created such behaviour. If someone suggests that – everyone laughs

3. It has to do with the DNA of the organization, with the way Tata culture exists and above all with the situation that prevailed that time. The organization has always been telling that customers and guests are #1 priority

4. The hotel business was started by Jamshedji Tata when he was insulted in one of the British hotels and not allowed to stay there.

5. He created several institutions which later became icons of progress, culture and modernity. IISc is one such institute. He was told by the rulers that time that he can acquire land for IISc to the extent he could fence the same. He could afford fencing only 400 acres.

6. When the HR function hesitatingly made a very rich proposal to Ratan – he said – do you think we are doing enough?

7. The whole approach was that the organization would spend several hundred crore in re-building the property – why not spend equally on the employees who gave their life?

This is NOT COVERED BY Any NEWS CHANNELS !

Apart from all the differences regarding who was responsible for 26/11, I believe it is indeed a highly commendable gesture by Ratan Tata. (if it in fact is true)

Tata's Open Heart & Purse Strings for ALL Victims of Mumbai Massacre

Last week, interviewed in the midst of the terror attack, Ratan Tata looked up despairingly at his flagship hotel resounding with the unfamiliar sound of gun-shots, and told journalists that when it came to compensation and help, "We will not be stingy."

Now, Indian Hotels Company (IHC) has gone one step forward. The company is setting up an entirely new trust solely to aid victims of the 26/11 terror attacks.

However this assistance will not be restricted to just staff and guests of those caught in the siege at the Taj, but will be extended to anyone affected by the attacks, be it at CST or Leopold, Cama or the Trident.

"It is not just the victims of the attacks at the hotel who are recuperating at city hospitals who will receive a helping hand from us, but also victims at CST and elsewhere who require any kind of assistance from us," said IHC vice-chairman Krishnakumar who held the first meeting towards setting up of the new trust with Board members on Friday.

In fact the first victim to be assisted has already been identified. According to director, finance, at IHC, Anil Goel, one of the guests at the hotel Jharna Narang, 35,who took five bullets and is battling for her life at Bombay Hospital, will be the first beneficiary.

Jharna lost her parents and her brother in the attack

Jharna's hospital bills have already run to Rs eight lakh and doctors estimate it to go up to Rs 25 lakh. "We have contacted the relatives of the family and have ensured that they get all the financial help and other assistance they need from us, it's our moral responsibility to do so," said Goel.

He refused to give further details of how the trust would operate and the screening process saying it was too premature to discuss.

At present there are about a 100 people injured in the terror attacks receiving treatment at various hospitals around the city.

Taj Group forms trust to aid Mumbai terror attack victims
December 15th, 2008 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS

Mumbai, Dec 15 (IANS) The Taj Group, whose Taj hotel was the prime target of last month’s terrorist attacks, has set up a public trust to be headed by Ratan Tata to provide aid to terror victims.According to an announcement, the Taj Public Service Welfare Trust will provide immediate relief to all victims of the Nov 26-29 attacks, including the families of those who lost their lives.

The Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel, one of India’s most prestigious hotels, was one of the 13 targets. Ten of its staffers lost their lives while 11 were injured and part of the heritage building was severely damaged.

In addition to providing immediate relief to all victims, including general public security personnel and Taj staffers, the trust will endeavour to cover relief to victims of sudden acts of violence, natural disasters and other tragedies that inflict damages to life and property.

The Indian Hotels Corporation Ltd, which runs the Taj Group of hotels, the Sir Dorab Tata Trust and the Sir Ratan Tata Trust have committed significant initial contribution to the trust.

Apart from Tata group chief Ratan Tata, other trustees are R.K. Krishna Kumar, N.A. Soonawala, R.N. Bickson, A.P. Goel and A. Mukerji.

What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai 26/11 victims

Ratan Tata is the chairman of Indian Hotels who own the Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai, which was the target of the terrorists on 26/11/08.

Hotel President a 5 star property also belongs to Indian Hotels.

The following is really touching.

What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai victims.... Don't miss!!!!!!

SALUTE TO MR. RATAN TATA :cheers:

A. The Tata Gesture

1. All category of employees including those who had completed even 1 day as casuals were treated on duty during the time the hotel was closed.

2. Relief and assistance to all those who were injured and killed

3. The relief and assistance was extended to all those who died at the railway station, surroundings including the “Pav- Bha ji” vendor and the pan shop owners.

4. During the time the hotel was closed, the salaries were sent by money order.

5. A psychiatric cell was established in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences to counsel those who needed such help.

6. The thoughts and anxieties going on people’s mind was constantly tracked and where needed psychological help provided.

7. Employee outreach centers were opened where all help, food, water, sanitation, first aid and counseling was provided. 1600 employees were covered by this facility.

8. Every employee was assigned to one mentor and it was that person’s responsibility to act as a “single window” clearance for any help that the person required.

9. Ratan Tata personally visited the families of all the 80 employees who in some manner – either through injury or getting killed – were affected. The family members were touched by this gesture.

10. The dependents of the employees were flown from outside Mumbai to Mumbai and taken care off in terms of ensuring mental assurance and peace. They were all accommodated in Hotel President for 3 weeks.

11. Ratan Tata himself asked the families and dependents – as to what they wanted him to do.

12. In a record time of 20 days, a new trust was created by the Tatas for the purpose of relief of employees.

13. What is unique is that even the other people, the railway employees, the police staff, the pedestrians who had nothing to do with Tatas were covered by compensation. Each one of them was provided subsistence allowance of Rs. 10K per month for all these people for 6 months.

14. A 4 year old granddaughter of a vendor got 4 bullets in her and only one was removed in the Government hospital. She was taken to Bombay hospital and several lacs were spent by the Tatas on her to fully recover her.

15. New hand carts were provided to several street vendors who lost their carts.

16. Tata will take responsibility of life education of 46 children of the victims of the terror.

17. This was the most trying period in the life of the organization. Senior managers including Ratan Tata were visiting funeral to funeral over the 3 days that were most horrible.

18. The settlement for every deceased member ranged from Rs. 36 to 85 lacs [One lakh rupees tranlates to approx 2200 US $ ] in addition to the following benefits:

a. Full last salary for life for the family and dependents;

b. Complete responsibility of education of children and dependents – anywhere in the world.

c. Full Medical facility for the whole family and dependents for rest of their life.

d. All loans and advances were waived off – irrespective of the amount.

e. Counselor for life for each person

B. Epilogue

1. How was such passion created among the employees? How and why did they behave the way they did?

2. The organization is clear that it is not something that someone can take credit for. It is not some training and development that created such behaviour. If someone suggests that – everyone laughs

3. It has to do with the DNA of the organization, with the way Tata culture exists and above all with the situation that prevailed that time. The organization has always been telling that customers and guests are #1 priority

4. The hotel business was started by Jamshedji Tata when he was insulted in one of the British hotels and not allowed to stay there.

5. He created several institutions which later became icons of progress, culture and modernity. IISc is one such institute. He was told by the rulers that time that he can acquire land for IISc to the extent he could fence the same. He could afford fencing only 400 acres.

6. When the HR function hesitatingly made a very rich proposal to Ratan – he said – do you think we are doing enough?

7. The whole approach was that the organization would spend several hundred crore in re-building the property – why not spend equally on the employees who gave their life?

This is NOT COVERED BY Any NEWS CHANNELS !

Tata truly is a fine gentleman, It seems he still hasn't forgotten his humble beginnings, I am surprised at his humility, he did all this yet still did not boast about it or complain about the lack of acknowledgement, my respect for Mr. Tata has been multiplied ten fold.

I really liked the family. They are the best business family in India. They have a great history from Jamshedji Tata to Ratan Tata to make India industrially strong. I am happy to see what he as done for the victims.

I wish this should be the relationship between every company's top brass and employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom