What's new

Multidimensional Poverty: India is Home to 75% of World's Population Deprived of Basic Living Standards

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Over 75% of the world's poor deprived of basic living standards (nutrition, cooking fuel, sanitation and housing) live in India compared to 4.6% in Bangladesh and 4.1% in Pakistan, according to a recently released OPHI/UNDP report on multidimensional poverty. Here's what the report says: "More than 45.5 million poor people are deprived in only these four indicators (nutrition, cooking fuel, sanitation and housing). Of those people, 34.4 million live in India, 2.1 million in Bangladesh and 1.9 million in Pakistan—making this a predominantly South Asian profile".

Global%20MPI%202022.png
Global Multidimensional Poverty Index 2022. Source: OPHI/UNDP

The UNDP poverty report shows that the income poverty (people living on $1.90 or less per day) in Pakistan is 3.6% while it is 22.5% in India and 14.3% in Bangladesh. In terms of the population vulnerable to multidimensional poverty, Pakistan (12.9%) does better than Bangladesh (18.2%) and India (18.7%) However, Pakistan fares worse than India and Bangladesh in multiple dimensions of poverty. The headline multidimensional poverty (MPI) figure for Pakistan (0.198) is worse than for Bangladesh (0.104) and India (0.069). This is primarily due to the education and health deficits in Pakistan. Adults with fewer than 6 years of schooling are considered multidimensionally poor by OPHI/UNDP. Income poverty is not included in the MPI calculations.

Earlier this year, Global Hunger Index 2022 reported that India ranks 107th for hunger among 121 nations. The nation fares worse than all of its South Asian neighbors except for war-torn Afghanistan ranked 109, according to the the report. Sri Lanka ranks 64, Nepal 81, Bangladesh 84 and Pakistan 99. India and Pakistan have levels of hunger that are considered serious. Both have slipped on the hunger charts from 2021 when India was ranked 101 and Pakistan 92. Seventeen countries, including Bosnia, China, Kuwait, Turkey and UAE, are collectively ranked between 1 and 17 for having a score of less than five.

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review

Pakistan Among World's Largest Food Producers

Pakistan Floods 2022

Food in Pakistan 2nd Cheapest in the World

India in Crisis: Unemployment and Hunger Persist After COVID

Impact of Russia Sanctions on Food, Fuel Availability

Record Number of Indians Seeking Asylum in US

Vast Majority of Pakistanis Support Imran Khan's Handling of Covid19 Crisis

Incomes of Poorest Pakistanis Growing Faster Than Their Richest Counterparts

Pakistanis Consuming More Calories, Fruits & Vegetables Per Capita

How Grim is Pakistan's Social Sector Progress?

Pakistan Fares Marginally Better Than India On Disease Burdens

COVID Lockdown Decimates India's Middle Class

Pakistan Child Health Indicators

Pakistan's Balance of Payments Crisis

How Has India Built Large Forex Reserves Despite Perennial Trade Deficits

Riaz Haq's Youtube Channel

PakAlumni Social Network

Every second ST, every third Dalit & Muslim in India poor, not just financially: UN report
At around 27% of the country's population, India has the largest number of people living in multidimensional poverty in the world, says the report.

In a damning reflection of how India’s most vulnerable sections continue to remain at the bottom of the pyramid, fresh data shows that the so-called ‘lower’ castes, tribals, Muslims, and children aged below 10 are among the poorest in the country.

Just to add
% Population share of in severe multidimensional poverty
India = 4.2
There is a special nation which has nearly five times the % share at 21.5
According to some geniuses from that nation here, they had "eliminated extreme poverty in 1990s"

View attachment 888863
Who cares about data, when ”trust me bro” is the best index to measure prosperity from our neighbours :lol:.

@RiazHaq

Brofessor sb,

I think we have already agreed elsewhere that the bottom 5% of India's population are worse off than those in PAK or BD. But once you go above that, IND is marginally ahead of BD and way ahead of Pakiland.

To reiterate some of the basic numbers:

https://hdr.undp.org/system/files/do...eportenpdf.pdf
https://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/f..._and_2_en.xlsx

For India the score is 0.069 (16% headcount in poverty, 42% extent of deprivation among the multidimensional poor) ahead of NEP 0.074 (17.5%, 42%), BD 0.104 (24.6%, 42%), PAK 0.198 (38.3%, 52%). SL still remains tops in South Asia with a score of 0.011.

Some of the key deprivation numbers on various indices for IND, PAK and BD in that order.

Nutrition- 11.8,27.0, 8.7- BD is the clear outperformer
Child mortality- 1.5,5.9, 1.3- BD again
Schooling- 7.7, 24.8, 6.5- India leads has done so historically, hopefully ModiGee will not run it down
Cooking fuel- 13.9, 31.2, 22.8- IND has substantially improved courtesy ModiGee and Ujjwala
Drinking water- 2.7, 7.9, 1.4- All three have done quite well
Bijlee- 2.1, 7.1, 4.6- All three doing OK, again ModiGee with Ujala scheme leading the way
Housing- 13.6, 30.6, 22.8- IND outperformer thanks to ModiGee PM Awas Yojna
Assets- 5.6, 12.2, 15.9- Modi again seals it with Jan Dhan Yojana plus overall higher GDP and savings rate

And the one which gives me the greatest pleasure

Sanitation- 11.3, 21.7, 15.3 From being a global embarassment to best among three thanks to Swachh Bharat Mission!

The silver lining about Pakiland having lower access to sanitation of course is that the new railway lines which are being built under CPEC will be put to good use!

The headline multidimensional poverty (MPI) figure for Pakistan (0.198) is worse than for Bangladesh (0.104) and India (0.069). This is primarily due to the education and health deficits in Pakistan .

This is completely false. Pakiland is worse off than IND and BD in almost each and every indicator barring income poverty, not just health and education. Sanitation, nutrition, asset ownership, clean cooking fuel- everything

At around 27% of the country's population, India has the largest number of people living in multidimensional poverty in the world, says the report.

This is 2015-16 data, what is the point of using outdated data when fresh data is available?

Regards

Last edited:
I used to think that this guy @RiazHaq does have a little analytical flair.

But, every thread he creates convinces me that he pulls out data from some part his body and puts it across as per his convenience and paints a picture where Pakistan is on top and India at the bottom.

In fact, I have kind of started linking his threads for entertainment value.
I guess he is a Brofessor somewhere. I pity his students.

Now, these comments are no way to say that India is doing very well etc.
There are issues galore.
But, this guy paints a picture, as if rivers of honey are flowing in Pakistan.
Kuch to sharam kar lo Brofessor.

@VkdIndian

Vkd Bro,

This is completely unfair. Brofessor sb has never painted any such pic of Pakiland. He is only moved by the plight of his neighbouring nation, just as @maithil bro's heart bleed when something goes wrong in Pak. Such people are to be admired in these days of selfish living, not heaped with scorn.

Regards

I used to think that this guy @RiazHaq does have a little analytical flair.

But, every thread he creates convinces me that he pulls out data from some part his body and puts it across as per his convenience and paints a picture where Pakistan is on top and India at the bottom.

In fact, I have kind of started linking his threads for entertainment value.
I guess he is a Brofessor somewhere. I pity his students.

Now, these comments are no way to say that India is doing very well etc.
There are issues galore.
Kuch to sharam kar lo Brofessor.
Writing articles depicting Pakistan on top and India on the bottom won’t change ground realities.

Brofessor sb has never painted any such pic of Pakiland. He is only moved by the plight of his neighbouring nation,
I do understand “inka to dil hi kuch aisa hai” quip.
When his heart moves for plight of the people at other places, it implies that things must be better at his own home. If it is not so, then it smells of a motive.
That is the issue.
For example - If a person from a third world country finds something wrong in the US for an instance then it is fine. But, if he finds wrong every time then it is motivated. Pehle apni halat to dekh lo. Pehanne ko kapade nahi, khane ko khana nahi aur chale hain US ki kamiyan khojne.

@RiazHaq, is in a similar position. And he is masquerading as an analyst.

Of the 10 most #polluted cities in #Asia, 8 are in #India. #Guragaon, #Lucknow, Anandpur, Begusarai, #Bhopal, Dewas, Khadakpada, Kalyan, Darshan Nagar & Chhapra, #China's Xiaoshishang Port in Luzhou and Bayankhoshuu in #Mangolia’s Ulaanbaata. #pollution https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...y-index-2288708-2022-10-23?utm_source=twshare

As the winter season is around the corner, as many as eight Indian cities on Sunday made it to the list of top 10 polluted cities in Asia. As per the data released by the World Air Quality Index, eight Indian cities recorded the worst air quality in Asia, while just one city - Rajamahendravaram in Andhra Pradesh - managed to feature in the list of top 10 cities with the best air quality.

Gurugram made it to the top of the list with an air quality index (AQI) of 679 on Sunday morning, followed by Dharuhera near Rewari in Haryana with an AQI of 543 and Muzaffarpur in Bihar with an AQI of 316.

According to data available on www.aqicn.org, Delhi's AQI was recorded at 194 on Sunday.

Other cities that come on the list are Talkator, Lucknow (AQI 298), DRCC Anandpur, Begusarai (AQI 269), Bhopal Chauraha, Dewas (AQI 266), Khadakpada, Kalyan (AQI 256), Darshan Nagar and Chhapra (AQI 239).

Apart from Indian cities, China's Xiaoshishang Port in Luzhou (AQI 262) is also in the list of stations with worse air quality. Bayankhoshuu in Mangolia’s Ulaanbaata also featured in the list.

Back
Top Bottom