What's new

MQM Cuts The Comedy Show#N246

Simply put, Azizabad, Karimabad, Federal B Area (Mukka Chowk) used to be seen as upper middle class areas when I was growing up in Karachi late '80s to early '90s; I spent my childhood in North Nazimabad, Shadman Town, BufferZone, Hassan Square, used to stay during summer vacations in one of my aunt's apartments 1min drive from Mukka Chowk.. But today, areas like Azizabad, Karimabad, Mukka Chowk represent urban ghettos by some standards and MQM is perfectly fine in keeping them that way to maintain its grip/hold and status quo.

The bragging rights would have been all MQM's had Azizabad, Karimabad, etc turned into Clifton and Defence in its 30 something years of existence. Sadly, that is not the case.

The areas you mentioned were never upper middle class areas. Azizabad and FB Area were always strictly middle class, if anything the infrastructure in those areas has gotten much better and no you can't just call them urban ghettos.

The areas you mentioned were never upper middle class areas. Azizabad and FB Area were always strictly middle class, if anything the infrastructure in those areas has gotten much better and no you can't just call them urban ghettos.

Wrong. I am saying they USED to be upper middle class compared to other areas of Karachi like Lalookhait, Paposh, etc late '80s, early '90s. At that time you could see the 'mukka' at Mukka Chowk for a few years after its construction and was never covered up by MQM party memorabilia, etc and it didn't disappear behind a cheap metal 'patang' installed on the chowk. Yes you can make a case that they are about middle-class now, but I would argue its lower middle class / urban ghetto - perhaps 2 or 3 steps up from kachi abadis dotting the Lyari River..

Simply put, Azizabad, Karimabad, Federal B Area (Mukka Chowk) used to be seen as upper middle class areas when I was growing up in Karachi early late '80s to early '90s; I spent my childhood in North Nazimabad, Shadman Town, BufferZone, Hassan Square, used to stay during summer vacations in one of my aunt's apartments 1min drive from Mukka Chowk.. But today, areas like Azizabad, Karimabad, Mukka Chowk represent an urban ghettos by some standards and MQM is perfectly fine in keeping them that way to maintain its grip/hold and status quo.
Maybe from your eyes it looks like that but for me its Lot Safer place to live in comparison to so many other areas especially Gulshan. Azizabad, Karimabad, Federal B Area are not Ghettos rather they are being NEGLECTED by Provincial Govt. which is of PPP for last 7 years. MQM did development in that area as well but due to neglect it becomes what it is right now but despite of that Property Value of that area is quite high and are comparable to Nazimabad and Gulshan Block 1 and 2. Its still quite Vibrant for Small Businesses especially Automobile Mechanics and people mostly from Gulshan actually come to Azizabad for their Car Repairs because of its Closer to Gulshan in Comparison to other areas. These Small Businesses run quite Good there but they also create lots of Waste and Dirt in the Streets as well so that is why above mentioned areas doesnt look that good. It has always been Middle Class Area and most Families have been Living there since Independence so they have emotional Attachment to the area so it can never become DHA or Cliftton because both of them are mostly for Elites not Middle Class.

Maybe from your eyes it looks like that but for me its Lot Safer place to live in comparison to so many other areas especially Gulshan. Azizabad, Karimabad, Federal B Area are not Ghettos rather they are being NEGLECTED by Provincial Govt. which is of PPP for last 7 years. MQM did development in that area as well but due to neglect it becomes what it is right now but despite of that Property Value of that area is quite high and are comparable to Nazimabad and Gulshan Block 1 and 2. Its still quite Vibrant for Small Businesses especially Automobile Mechanics and people mostly from Gulshan actually come to Azizabad for their Car Repairs because of its Closer to Gulshan in Comparison to other areas. These Small Businesses run quite Good there but they also create lots of Waste and Dirt in the Streets as well so that is why above mentioned areas doesnt look that good. It has always been Middle Class Area and most Families have been Living there since Independence so they have emotional Attachment to the area so it can never become DHA or Cliftton because both of them are mostly for Elites not Middle Class.

Sorry, I do not see how this tactic can work. MQM has been in the government off and on since the Musharraf years. To simply shirk responsibility by saying 'oh it was PPP govt, oh it was Martian govt', that just sounds like a bad excuse.

I am sure all the areas you mentioned are 'vibrant'. But being 'vibrant' and full of economic activity doesn't take away the 'ghetto-ness' of an area, its a mentality, a state-of-mind.

As for DHA and Clifton only being for elites, be that as it may, I know quite a few families who left MQM stronghold areas of Azizabad, Karimabad, Mukka chowk, and through sheer hardwork and determination worked their way up the social ladder and moved to DHA and Clifton - they broke free of that ghetto-mentality.

This mentality is the same here in North America where I now live, you see all these Pakistanis who came here, living concentrated in one specific area and the mentality of that entire area is a Pakistani ethnic ghetto. Ofcourse they have jobs, they are a mix of dirt poor, middle class and some well-off but its the hive mentality and all the negatives that come with it leading others to see the area as an urban ghetto.

Sorry, I do not see how this tactic can work. MQM has been in the government off and on since the Musharraf years. To simply shirk responsibility by saying 'oh it was PPP govt, oh it was Martian govt', that just sounds like a bad excuse.
An Elected Person needs is an authority to work which is Granted by Ministry so when a person doesnt have Authority to work then he wont be blamed for Govt. Minister's negligence. MQM during Musharraf Regime had AUTHORITIES and they did Delivered the results even over delivered if you compare to last 40 years of Karachi Development while in PPP Govt. they didnt and PPP has always Ignored Karachi like its a step child so as PMLN who has Authorities and are doing the same.
I am sure all the areas you mentioned are 'vibrant'. But being 'vibrant' and full of economic activity doesn't take away the 'ghetto-ness' of an area, its a mentality, a state-of-mind.
It looks like a Ghetto because its quite Homogeneous areas of the city where one Community Dominates which is good thing and a bad thing both at the same time as Mixed Areas of Karachi are More DISTURBED then Ghettoised once because due to negligence of Law and Order in last 7 years every other Group representing Ethnicity, Linguistic, Sects etc have guns and are not hesitant to use them and thanks to Taliban things became even worse that is why Ghettos have Flourished in Karachi.
As for DHA and Clifton only being for elites, be that as it may, I know quite a few families who left MQM stronghold areas of Azizabad, Karimabad, Mukka chowk, and through sheer hardwork and determination worked their way up the social ladder and moved to DHA and Clifton - they broke free of that ghetto-mentality.
Yes there are Families who got well off and left the areas like Azizabad, FB Area, Nazimabad, Gulshan etc but there are also quite a Number that actually RETURNED Back to Gulshan, Nazimabad and even Azizabad as well only because one of the most Basic Utility of Water is not available there and people have to rely on Water Tanker Mafia to fulfill that needs by paying 4 times EXTRA while this Utilities have always been available in those mentioned areas(though Current KWSB system is Awful).

MQM's victory is a foregone conclusion, JI and PTI are fighting an already-lost battle. All thanks to the past discrimination, domicile, PIA-type attitude, the Ranger's ongoing adventure in Karaci as a continuity of the 92's operation and the raid at 9-0 exempting all others. Also to the Kale Kalote remarks and the recent CNIC drama.

MQM's victory is a foregone conclusion, JI and PTI are fighting an already-lost battle. All thanks to the past discrimination, domicile, PIA-type attitude, the Ranger's ongoing operation continuity of the 92's operation and raid at 9-0 exempting all others. Also to the Kale Kalote remarks plus the recent CNIC drama.
Too many Cards have added in MQM's Pockets to play their Politics and if they get Narrow Margin Victory then this would be huge DENT to them and their Future. Lets hope what comes out of this Elections but MQM is likely to win here convincingly not because they are still Stronger rather they dont have any Viable Competitor for this Seat in Karachi.

Fear can bring people out of their homes.

Yes, fear.

Marine Fisheries Department, Ministry of Port and Shipping
Head office: Karachi
The people which it concerns with are found in the coastal areas of Sindh and Baluchistan so why exactly do I see a certain restriction in the Domicile? Similar story to Punjab International Airline.
10408994_966273680052269_4923091562551424496_n.jpg

And these fears have constantly been coming true.

No i dont .. can you explain :-)

Massive rigging + Create Fear in the opposition camps

Yes, fear.

The people which it concerns with are found in the coastal areas of Sindh and Baluchistan so why exactly do I see a certain restriction in the Domicile? Similar story to Punjab International Airline.
10408994_966273680052269_4923091562551424496_n.jpg

Exactly, you have been part of the Federal Government with President Musharraf. You've been part of the Federal Government with Asif Ali Zardari. What have you done for it? Nothing. Not a single thing. Instead all you did was do the same thing in Water Board? Where you induced your 'karkunaaN' ? Didn't you. All you did in those ten years of regime was to install more and more fear in the hearts of the people. Somebody calls you this and that and you shut down the entire city. Cut the crap. Don't play the ethnic card everytime. You don't represent the urdu speaking lot.

Exactly, you have been part of the Federal Government with President Musharraf. You've been part of the Federal Government with Asif Ali Zardari. What have you done for it? Nothing. Not a single thing. Instead all you did was do the same thing in Water Board? Where you induced your 'karkunaaN' ? Didn't you. All you did in those ten years of regime was to install more and more fear in the hearts of the people. Somebody calls you this and that and you shut down the entire city. Cut the crap. Don't play the ethnic card everytime. You don't represent the urdu speaking lot.
Quota system is a NATIONAL MATTER and a party in one City cant Influence the decisions of a National ones and we all knows that how much Political Benefits have been earned by Politician in rest of Pakistan by this system at the expense of our National Institutions. So MQM cant Influence the system as long as they cant convince other stakeholders and others simply doesnt want to Abolish it because it would be most Political Unpopular Decision for them. So blaming MQM in that is useless Preposition if PTI is so GENUINELY interested for Karachi then go to Parliament and if they are man enough ask the Parliament to Abolish it as they have some Strength in the Parliament instead of showing us Fake Promises. Act first and ask for Support latter. If they are able to do that then Majority of Karachiite would support them for National Assembly at least if not for all level.

Quota system is a NATIONAL MATTER and a party in one City cant Influence the decisions of a National ones and we all knows that how much Political Benefits have been earned by Politician in rest of Pakistan by this system at the expense of our National Institutions. So MQM cant Influence the system as long as they cant convince other stakeholders and others simply doesnt want to Abolish it because it would be most Political Unpopular Decision for them. So blaming MQM in that is useless Preposition if PTI is so GENUINELY interested for Karachi then go to Parliament and if they are man enough ask the Parliament to Abolish it as they have some Strength in the Parliament instead of showing us Fake Promises. Act first and ask for Support latter.

When you form an alliance with the federal government that means you have the majority. That means you are the majority.

You have been in alliance for 15+ years and not for a single year was this point on your agenda? Show me once when you asked them to provide you this else you are going to quit the alliance? Phewwww! But when it comes to election you come back with this card in your pocket?

Act first and ask for support later, this applies to MQM first. They have been in power for 15+ years what have they done so far regarding this issue? Instead of sending money to Bhai in London? instead of collecting extortion money from the shops in Karachi? and instead of crushing the opposition with guns!

Yes, fear.

It is not just limited to the fisheries department but rather to the whole of Federal Government, its ministries, attached and sub departments etc.

Quota system was a systematic execution of merit. And once you killed merit, all hopes of becoming an economic powerhouse went down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom