What's new

Moving to Islamabad from London (UK)

Or don't end up like that Pakistani American doctor who, after Imran Khan's speech, tweeted he is leaving everything and coming back to setup a clinic with his wife; his twitter account is not deleted.
I know 2 British Pakistani doctors who left after IK's speech and their families are now in Pakistan and thriving! Though they made a choice to send the family first to see if the kids settle...The kids did manage to settle and got admissions in medical collages and then the dads came.

I know 2 British Pakistani doctors who left after IK's speech and their families are now in Pakistan and thriving! Though they made a choice to send the family first to see if the kids settle...The kids did manage to settle and got admissions in medical collages and then the dads came.

Maybe, I only spoke of what I knew.

@SEAD
Don't come . It will be hard for you to adjust as member said. School issues , water ,milk , medicines etc as HAIDER said. First try before you moved withouse family on your own. I guess even moving out of London wI'll help you.
Just go to mosque and participate in community work. That will make you like home. Actually people are busy in West and big cities so being busy at work and stuck ato home (bad weather) makes you alienated.

Hi All,

I am SEAD (a new member) and currently living in London, UK for the past 18 yrs. I have been lurking on this site for years and finally decided to join in. The primary reason of coming on here is to seek advice/guidance from the fellow members who are currently residing in Pakistan - as I plan on making a move back home!

I was born in Pakistan and moved here due to my father's job. I was 12 when I moved here so studied here from secondary school onwards. My immediate family are here and I am grateful to UK for the life I have lived here so far. Not wishing to brag or show off, but I am financially settled and can't really complain tbh - on the face of it, I have everything (house, car, job, family etc) but yet I don't feel at 'home' for some reason.

I have been contemplating a move back for a while now and believe now is the time to do it - within 6 to 12 months. With Pakistan's economy picking up and the future looking promising, I am keen on moving back sooner rather than later. The plan is as follow:

* I don't currently have a house in Pakistan but do intend to purchase one soon after my arrival. The areas that are of interest to me are F-6/7 or surrounding areas within these Zones in Islamabad. Though my budget is flexible, I was actually quite shocked when I saw prices of some of the properties online (10 crore+). Can any local members give me any advise, please? Are these prices shown online negotiable - and do houses tend to sell for nearer to asking prices or is it the case of sellers starting high and eventually settling for a more reasonable price? Is it just a case of having to be good at negotiating? Any advice/guidance is welcome on this topic. Although I would welcome views of everyone on here, I am particularly keen to hear from fellow members currently residing in Islamabad.

* The plan is to "test the waters out for approx 5 years". During this time, I will give everything to settle in ISB permanently but if the plan goes south, I will simply move back to UK & restart - though I hope it doesn't come to that.

* I plan on running a business whilst I am there. I currently run an online based e-commerce business here in UK and plan on doing something similar in Pakistan - though I understand the online market there is pretty small so I will be looking more towards a high street presence (Retail). I am also open to trying out other ventures such as Restaurants, takeaways and even considering Travel & Tourism (though I will need good local knoweldge in this). Whilst I am not expecting any fellow businessmen out here to let me in on their secrets, I would appreciate any advice and pros & cons to look out for and what sort of costs I can expect.

* What's life generally like in ISB? I have heard of some really positive feedback and from my limited knowledge, the city appears to be nice, clean, quite and pretty green with good access to local amenities. I know in other cities life is pretty hard for an average citizen, and issues with lack of Gas, electricity & water etc. Is it the same in ISB, too? What are the things to look out for? What's private education like for kids of 4 -10 years of age in a decent private school?

* What's the job market currently like in ISB? My Mrs works in IT sector and, as shes not used to being a full-time house bound (yet), she will struggle with boredom in general whilst there. So, she maybe interested in a part-time job just to keep sane lol - once again, any advice on this is welcome.

Now, in case any of you out there wondering what on earth is wrong with me and why I am so keen on risking a decent & comfortable lifestyle in UK and making a move that is clearly very risky - let me try and explain. I consider Pakistan to be my home & true identity. Granted there are loads of issues, but I am happy to face them and would rather live proudly live amongst my own - rather than be a "foreigner" abroad. With the expected arrival of our first child soon (Inshallah), I would want him/her to start their life there - ideally going on to serve in the Armed forces but that would be their decision, not mine.

Thank you for your time and I look to hearing from you...
Regards,

can u answer one question before u make a decision??

if u get into civil or criminal matter, which country can provide you swift and satisfactory justice?? make your decision based on this question...
socities are based on justice they het..

issues with lack of Gas, electricity & water
There were issues in ISB also (my naniyal is in ISB) so some sectors do have issues but MAJORITY have managed to resolve it...

can u answer one question before u make a decision??

if u get into civil or criminal matter, which country can provide you swift and satisfactory justice?? make your decision based on this question...
socities are based on justice they het..
IF that were the case, I think most of African continent, America and Asia would be empty...Then again if the prices you pay in EUROPE...for that price you find a lawyer in Pakistan, you just might get out unscratched...Because law isnt the problem....implementation is!

With the expected arrival of our first child soon (Inshallah), I would want him/her to start their life there - ideally going on to serve in the Armed forces but that would be their decision, not mine.
Early Mubarakan!

Hi All,

I am SEAD (a new member) and currently living in London, UK for the past 18 yrs. I have been lurking on this site for years and finally decided to join in. The primary reason of coming on here is to seek advice/guidance from the fellow members who are currently residing in Pakistan - as I plan on making a move back home!

I was born in Pakistan and moved here due to my father's job. I was 12 when I moved here so studied here from secondary school onwards. My immediate family are here and I am grateful to UK for the life I have lived here so far. Not wishing to brag or show off, but I am financially settled and can't really complain tbh - on the face of it, I have everything (house, car, job, family etc) but yet I don't feel at 'home' for some reason.

I have been contemplating a move back for a while now and believe now is the time to do it - within 6 to 12 months. With Pakistan's economy picking up and the future looking promising, I am keen on moving back sooner rather than later. The plan is as follow:

* I don't currently have a house in Pakistan but do intend to purchase one soon after my arrival. The areas that are of interest to me are F-6/7 or surrounding areas within these Zones in Islamabad. Though my budget is flexible, I was actually quite shocked when I saw prices of some of the properties online (10 crore+). Can any local members give me any advise, please? Are these prices shown online negotiable - and do houses tend to sell for nearer to asking prices or is it the case of sellers starting high and eventually settling for a more reasonable price? Is it just a case of having to be good at negotiating? Any advice/guidance is welcome on this topic. Although I would welcome views of everyone on here, I am particularly keen to hear from fellow members currently residing in Islamabad.

* The plan is to "test the waters out for approx 5 years". During this time, I will give everything to settle in ISB permanently but if the plan goes south, I will simply move back to UK & restart - though I hope it doesn't come to that.

* I plan on running a business whilst I am there. I currently run an online based e-commerce business here in UK and plan on doing something similar in Pakistan - though I understand the online market there is pretty small so I will be looking more towards a high street presence (Retail). I am also open to trying out other ventures such as Restaurants, takeaways and even considering Travel & Tourism (though I will need good local knoweldge in this). Whilst I am not expecting any fellow businessmen out here to let me in on their secrets, I would appreciate any advice and pros & cons to look out for and what sort of costs I can expect.

* What's life generally like in ISB? I have heard of some really positive feedback and from my limited knowledge, the city appears to be nice, clean, quite and pretty green with good access to local amenities. I know in other cities life is pretty hard for an average citizen, and issues with lack of Gas, electricity & water etc. Is it the same in ISB, too? What are the things to look out for? What's private education like for kids of 4 -10 years of age in a decent private school?

* What's the job market currently like in ISB? My Mrs works in IT sector and, as shes not used to being a full-time house bound (yet), she will struggle with boredom in general whilst there. So, she maybe interested in a part-time job just to keep sane lol - once again, any advice on this is welcome.

Now, in case any of you out there wondering what on earth is wrong with me and why I am so keen on risking a decent & comfortable lifestyle in UK and making a move that is clearly very risky - let me try and explain. I consider Pakistan to be my home & true identity. Granted there are loads of issues, but I am happy to face them and would rather live proudly live amongst my own - rather than be a "foreigner" abroad. With the expected arrival of our first child soon (Inshallah), I would want him/her to start their life there - ideally going on to serve in the Armed forces but that would be their decision, not mine.

Thank you for your time and I look to hearing from you...
Regards,

Salaam Brother,

Welcome to the forum and it's good you're researching and asking before making any decision.

I live in the US and have a home in Lahore (originally from Gujranwala), and I travel back and forth have businesses in both countries.

My recommendation is make Pakistan your home but do not transfer fully as you'll need to grow using your UK finances. Pakistan is a late stage developing country and you might not get the results right away you need. However, Islamabad is an excellent place to create a future and establish links for your family as well.

Welcome to Pakistan. May Allah bless you with a happy life.

@Imran Khan you were guiding another member about house purchase. Your guidamce is required here.

A dream I once held, but sadly long expired now. Good luck.

With regard to your query, a friend is planning on shifting to Islamabad as well and he was quoting prices in the range of Rs 2cr. It might be worth casting a wider net or checking out the housing societies as they appear to be very organized with decent quality housing.

Once you are settled, you can always upgrade.

Last edited:
My personal observation , keep yourself busy in Pakistan Because people who migrate from west either they have limited life pattern, which is 5 times run to mosque or no activity. And don't trust anyone on financial matter. Keep solid grip on your finance, people will come after you and bring beautiful dream of money multiply plans. I would recommend buy SUV and explore Pakistan for the rest of your life. Pakistan is the most beautiful place to explore. Live low profile.
And what about earning? Kamain kahan se?
@SEAD d @alphapak

A dream I once held, but sadly long expired now. Good luck.

With regard to your query, a friend is planning on shifting to Islamabad as well and he was quoting prices in the range of Rs 2cr. It might be worth casting a wider net or checking out the housing societies as they appear to be very organized with decent quality housing.
We were also looking at yes it is in cr....2-3 for a decent house in a decent area...10 marlah

checking out the housing societies
in ISB even these have increased their prices...my family was checking just last year...
I would try E-11 but it is slightly away from main city so it also depends on where you want it...Bahria is good but also out of ISB into RWP

If you do move to Pakistan, don't forget to mount a proper CCTV system to protect your home.

Please come with open mind.... Even though I grew up in Pakistan and lived there for two decades but I spent much of my adult life in the west, and simple things like standing in queues will cause frustration. You will stand in a queue and wait your turn like a normal human being and people will be cutting in from left and right, some will be jumping ahead by paying a bit, others will be muscling their way through.

Also things like reliable supply of electricity, water, internet and gas which we grow accustomed to in the west are often not always available in Pakistan. There is zero lane discipline and people think driving in two lanes simultaneously is some kind of badge of honor. There is no concept of right of way or not going wrong way. Pressing the horn every 2 seconds is considered essential otherwise your engine will choke. Also traffic lights are merely suggestions.

I knew a few people who gave up their steady lives in the west to move to Pakistan and were in serious depression and/or borderline suicidal after about 6 months.

That being said if you are rich in Pakistan there is no place like it. You can afford a massive house which you cannot have in five generations in the west. You can have an army of servants to cater to your every need, and if you have money the law is also a little less stricter on you.

So yeah it has its pros and cons.
Very good post. Nice to see some discussions around this topic and opinions from members with different experience.

Hi, I am computer science student from Lahore. I can't say much about property in Islamabad. But I can share my thoughts about your and your wife's job.
You are the ecommerce target market is small in Pakistan so I will suggest you to think about dropshipping business. Your target should be Europeans and Americans. And as far as your wife's job is concerned there are lot of software houses in Islamabad she can find work there.

Back
Top Bottom