What's new

Most Aussie troops to leave Afghanistan this year

Ajaxpaul

Reaction score
CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA: Most Australian troops in Afghanistan will be home by the end of the year when the international military base at Tarin Kowt in Uruzgan province closes, Defense Minister Stephen Smith said Tuesday.

At least 1,000 of the 1,550 Australian troops in Afghanistan will be withdrawn by the end of 2013, he said.

The decision by the U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force to draw down and close the base at Tarin Kowt was made after consultation with Australia and Afghan authorities and is in line with the timetable to transition to Afghan security forces full responsibility for the province by the end of the year, he said.

"This is the most significant decision and announcement that has been made so far as our withdrawal from Afghanistan is concerned, so far as our redeployment is concerned and so far as success of transition is occurring," Smith told reporters.

"If we were not confident that transition would occur in Uruzgan by the end of this year, then this decision would not have been made," he added.

Australia has the 10th largest national force in Afghanistan and is the largest military contributor outside NATO. Australia also has the largest number of special forces in the campaign after the United States and Britain.

While Australia's military involvement is supported by both the Australian government and opposition, its popularity among the Australian public has plummeted as the war has dragged on for 12 years. In that time, 39 Australian troops have died and another 249 have been wounded.

International forces have a deadline to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014, leaving Afghanistan responsible for its own security nationwide.

The Australian military's main focus in Afghanistan is to train an Afghan National Army brigade to take responsibility for security in the province.

Since November last year, all four infantry battalions, known in Afghanistan as kandaks, within the brigade had been operating independently without Australian advisers in the province. Australian troops no longer conduct joint patrols with Afghan units.

But Australian troops remain combat-ready and special forces continue to conduct combat operations with their Afghan counterparts against insurgents.

Australia operates two camps within Tarin Kowt: Camp Russell and Camp Holland.

Camp Russell is where Australia's special operations troops are based. Camp Holland is a larger area where the remainder of Australia's military and civilian personnel in Uruzgan are based as well as the Tarin Kowt headquarters.

Smith said planning had commenced to transfer all of Camp Russell and a portion of Camp Holland to the Afghan government by the end of 2013.

In 2014, small numbers of Australian troops will remain in Afghanistan training the Afghan military in Kabul and Kandahar.

Australian Defense Force Chief Lt. Gen. David Hurley said there were still decisions pending on the further use of Australian special forces in Afghanistan after 2014.

Most Aussie troops to leave Afghanistan this year - The Times of India

French were also about to leave this year right??

They lost the cricket series to India. They lost the battle in Afghanistan. Damn! What a bunch of losers!! Sheeesh! :no:

Right on queue for the Taliban to resume their administration.

They lost the cricket series to India. They lost the battle in Afghanistan. Damn! What a bunch of losers!! Sheeesh! :no:

Lost the battle in Afghanistan? What? The Australian mission has been a success, hence why the soldiers are going home.

Australians get the job done and don't go home until it is.

Right on queue for the Taliban to resume their administration.

How? The Taliban in the area have pretty pretty much been destroyed and the remaining Taliban now have to come up against a well resourced, well trained Afghan National Army garrison.

Australian soldiers haven't been on active patrols for months now and the Taliban haven't taken over.

Lost the battle in Afghanistan? What? The Australian mission has been a success, hence why the soldiers are going home.

Australians get the job done and don't go home until it is.

How? The Taliban in the area have pretty pretty much been destroyed and the remaining Taliban now have to come up against a well resourced, well trained Afghan National Army garrison.

Australian soldiers haven't been on active patrols for months now and the Taliban haven't taken over.

As much as I hope it wasn't true but it is; he has a point. Talibans will carry out attacks like they did before 2000s.

Because of some certain country's backing. I wouldn't wanna name names but you know who? And people whose main tactics of battle is ambushes and laying down fields of IEDs can't be defeated so easily specially when they have so much backing from some country. Apparently because of widespread of extremism in that part of the world, Talibans only need two things to carry on fighting. 1) Place to hide 2) Ammunation and they get both. Watch BBC documentary on the same subject for further information. It is called 'Secret ****stan'

As much as I hope it wasn't true but it is; he has a point. Talibans will carry out attacks like they did before 2000s.

Because of some certain country's backing. I wouldn't wanna name names but you know who? And people whose main tactics of battle is ambushes and laying down fields of IEDs can't be defeated so easily specially when they have so much backing from some country. Apparently because of widespread of extremism in that part of the world, Talibans only need two things to carry on fighting. 1) Place to hide 2) Ammunation and they get both. Watch BBC documentary on the same subject for further information. It is called 'Secret ****stan'

Australia's mission in Uruzgan province wasn't to eradicate the Taliban, even though the Taliban have all but been reduced to a small insurgent presence in the province.

Australias objectives

Train the Afghan National Army - Complete
Train the Afghan Police - Complete
Build infrastructure - Complete

With a strong security presence now in place, the Taliban simply don't have the numbers nor the power to stroll in and retake the place.

Australia's mission in Uruzgan province wasn't to eradicate the Taliban, even though the Taliban have all but been reduced to a small insurgent presence in the province.

Australias objectives

Train the Afghan National Army - Complete
Train the Afghan Police - Complete
Build infrastructure - Complete

With a strong security presence now in place, the Taliban simply don't have the numbers nor the power to stroll in and retake the place.

I don't have any doubts about Australia achieving its' objectives in Afghanistan, I think NATO/UK/Aus they all had similar goals.

1) Make sure Afghanistan doesn't become a breeding ground for the terrorists again - Done
2) Train Afghan security personnel so they can hold their ground - Done

But what I'm saying is after NATO withdraws how is ANA supposed to hold ground against Talibans backed by its' powerful neighbour? I mean even after NATO/US having world's most advanced intelligence gathering system, state of the art weapons and not to mention one world's most professionally trained recruits and they still lost so many soldiers. Do you think Afghan soldiers (some of them always high on Marijuana and Cocaine) can rival these lunatics.

I hope they do and I hope I'm proven wrong but I'm not too optimistic about security situation in post NATO Afghanistan. :/

Australia was there as result of a political decision, its coming out as result of a political decision too. They had to keep their presence felt in order to keep their alliance with the US, otherwise Australia has next to zero interest of its own, in what happens in the mountains of Orezgan. One thing i do know about the Australian soldiers is that they aren't a mare killing machine like American soldiers are.

Go home safe, Tony Abbot awaits :)

Offtopic...but i have always wondered how Afghanistan and Pakistan would have reacted if Indian soldiers actively took part in Astan.

Offtopic...but i have always wondered how Afghanistan and Pakistan would have reacted if Indian soldiers actively took part in Astan.

Would have made RAW's covert operation in Balochistan visible, therefore legitimizing Pakistan's response to provide full scale support to anti Indian activity in Astan. US would have been busy watering down INDO PAK war in Astan instead of fighting its own. Moreover, India isn't part of NATO and cannot participate in any NATO conflict.

Back to topic!

Back
Top Bottom