What's new

More Mig-29 for Indian Navy.

kashith

BANNED
Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Russia is all set to reassert its numero uno status in the Indian defence market with another mega arms deal. The two nations are now

poised to ink the around $1.2 billion contract for 29 more MiG-29K fighter jets for Indian Navy.

A Russian team will arrive in New Delhi this week to finetune the contract after it got the approval of Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, top defence sources said.

"The defence ministry is also now also seeking CCS approval for the fresh contract for aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov's refit, with the renegotiated price of slightly over $2.3 billion," said a source.

The two new contracts will further consolidate Russia's position as the largest defence supplier to India, having notched defence sales worth over $35 billion since the 1960s.

Though Israel is now nipping at the heels of Russia, and the US too has bagged some big defence deals in recent times, Moscow will continue to retain its lead for the foreseeable future.

India, after all, already has over $15 billion worth of ongoing arms contracts and projects in the pipeline with Russia. Bitter wrangling over the huge cost escalation in Gorshkov's refit had led to a distinct chill between India and Russia.

But with matters resolved now, India is also on course to formally join the $10 billion Russian project to build the Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA fifth-generation stealth fighter.

The 29 new MiG-29Ks will be in addition to the 16 jets already contracted in the initial $1.5 billion Gorshkov package deal in January 2004. Incidentally, only $974 million had been earmarked for Gorshkov's refit at that time.

Rechristened INS Vikramaditya, Gorshkov will now be delivered to India by early-2013 or so. But three of the 16 original MiG-29Ks have already arrived at the Goa naval airbase to constitute the 303 `Black Panthers' squadron, with the next three slated to follow shortly.

MiG-29Ks will operate from the 44,570-tonne Gorshkov as well as the 40,000-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier being built at Cochin Shipyard, which should roll out by 2014-2015.

Armed with eight types of air-to-air missiles, including extended range BVR (beyond visual range) missiles, as well as 25 air-to-surface weapons for land-attack missions, MiG-29Ks will provide Navy with a lethal punch on the high seas.

While 12 of the first 16 fighters will be the single-seat 'K' variants, the other four will be twin-seater 'KUB' trainer versions. Similarly, four of the next 29 jets will be 'KUB' trainer versions.

India, Russia to ink $1.2 bn deal for 29 more MiG-29Ks - India - The Times of India

Indian Navy's Fighter wing is going to be strong enough to take care of any enemy action over seas.Especially if aim is to target important ports (Karachi) they can provide complete air superiority over enemy air space

good news. . . i read in some article that says. mig-29k is better than su-30mki in air combact

good news. . . i read in some article that says. mig-29k is better than su-30mki in air combact

Well not exactly.Su-30 is a air superiority fighter whereas the Mig-29 is a point defence interceptor.Same role as F-15 and F-16.However it suits the need of Navy perfectly.they candominate air space oveer enemy territories once SU-30 have cleared them.They can even be used to defend our airspace as Mig-21 are getting phased out.

Well not exactly.Su-30 is a air superiority fighter whereas the Mig-29 is a point defence interceptor.Same role as F-15 and F-16.However it suits the need of Navy perfectly.they candominate air space oveer enemy territories once SU-30 have cleared them.They can even be used to defend our airspace as Mig-21 are getting phased out.

no friend your comment is suitable for mig-29s which lacks multi-role capacity . i read in some article that states that comeing upgraded mig-29 and 29k are superior to su-30 in air combact. but sory now i am cant able to find that article

no friend your comment is suitable for mig-29s which lacks multi-role capacity . i read in some article that states that comeing upgraded mig-29 and 29k are superior to su-30 in air combact. but sory now i am cant able to find that article

SU-30 is a 4.5 generation aircraft with thrust vectoring.Only fighter planes which can beat it in air to air combat are euro fighter or f-22.A similar aircraft to Mig-29 was the Su-27.The Mig-29 version K is known for its ruggedness but in air combat with SU-30,close but no cigar.Still Mig-29 can beat F-16 on its own so we don't need to be worried about these two ruskies getting on in a fight

Are you sure you are not talking about Su 33 and Mig 29K? Because the Russians replace their Su 33s with Mig 29Ks, because they offer more advantages compared to the big and older Flankers.
Russians Ks should get Zhuk AESA radar, TVC is possible too, they have improved range and multi role capabilities now and are better suited for the stobar carriers than the heavy Su 33s.

If you compare IAF Su 30 MKI and IN Mig 29Ks, the MKI is still better. Bars PESA is better than the Zhuk PESA, MKI has TVC and way more weapon stations and can use more different weapons, OLS should be similar in performance, if not better. The only real advantage should be the RCS, that was smaller and is said to be reduced even more.

SU-30 is a 4.5 generation aircraft with thrust vectoring.Only fighter planes which can beat it in air to air combat are euro fighter or f-22.A similar aircraft to Mig-29 was the Su-27.The Mig-29 version K is known for its ruggedness but in air combat with SU-30,close but no cigar.Still Mig-29 can beat F-16 on its own so we don't need to be worried about these two ruskies getting on in a fight

thanks for clarification.:cheers: between this is additional to the IN proposal for around 50 jets for second IAC?

thanks for clarification.:cheers: between this is additional to the IN proposal for around 50 jets for second IAC?

No.Total of 45+ Mig29 are going to be used on Gorshkov and IAC 1.I dont think design of IAC 2 is still finalized.Of these 12 would be trainers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom