Norwegian

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Modi — still going strong
By Aakar Patel
Published: July 5, 2015

When he won the general elections last year, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi lifted his party to a 32 per cent vote. This means he added about 10 per cent over the average the party achieved in the Vajpayee years and immediately after that.

I have always thought of his support as coming from two different, and disparate, groups. The dominant one is the traditional Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) voter, who is attracted to the party because of its principles. By this I mean Hindutva, and the dislike of Muslims expressed through the three primary issues — Ram Janmabhoomi (Muslims should give up their mosque), Uniform Civil Code (Muslims should give up their family law) and Article 370 (Muslims should give up their autonomy in Kashmir).

But I also mean those who admired the BJP as a meritocratic party whose ideological wellspring is located in social work through the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. This makes it different from the aristocratic and dynastic Gandhi-family led Congress.

The second group of BJP voters came to the party mainly through theattractiveness of Modi. A brilliant speaker (I used to rate him in the same category as Bal Thackeray and Lalu Yadav in being able to connect with the audience, but now I think he’s quite simply the best we have produced in decades), who is able to compress complex issues into simple slogans, Modi comes across as credible. He is a great representative of Indian nationalism and an attractive figure because of his charisma. His promise of a new India and new beginning under him was bought comprehensively by this second group.

This is the background in which we have begun to receive news that India is not really very different either in reality or in the way that the government functions.

The economy hasn’t taken off and the credit rating firm Moody’s has reported a disappointment at the rate of reforms. A staggering report on poverty this week shows that 92 per cent of rural Indian families survive on less than Rs10,000 a month.

Television shows are running back-to-back scams and going after ministers of both the centre and the BJP state governments. Things seem like they are getting back to the same level as they were in the final years of Manmohan Singh’s government.

But in one very significant way they are not. The BJP has won by-elections in the last few weeks in a way that shows that Modi’s personal support is not diminishing.

This can be showed in the unusual election result of states like Tripura and Kerala. In the former, the BJP candidate finished ahead of the Congress, which is remarkable.

In Kerala the BJP candidate, an old and popular leader of the party, got a fourth of the vote. This was many times more than what the party had received in the previous election. Some said it showed that the BJP lotus was blooming in Kerala. Even if it is not, it shows without question that the prime minister’s shine is not fading at a time when the news in the media about his government is mainly negative. And the perception of the outside world, which thought Modi was so promising only a year ago, has also begun to ebb.

What explains this?

How is Modi able to hold on to his constituency despite getting hammered on both perception (through the media) and the reality of execution, as witnessed by daily stories on the state of India?

I think he continues to sail through because he has successfully been able to retain that second group of people whom he attracted to the BJP. I mean those who admire him and believe he will bring change in time. Through all the bad news, he has not let them feel that he has lost his way.

He does this through direct communication. He is independent of the media in that sense, and though he does not communicate on the issues that anchors and reporters want him to (Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje and their Lalit Modi connections, for instance), he continues to keep his line open with his admirers through Twitter and through his public speaking.

The expanding nature of the IPL scandal, involving people of almost every party, should otherwise have laid Modi low. But the aspect of his attractiveness that is independent of his party (i.e., the second group) keeps him insulated from the mess.

Its result is that he is given a longer leash by his fans than they have given to any other leader of our time.

Will he be able to continue putting himself above the fray if other scandals continue to emerge in his term? No, the erosion will inevitably come, given the awful state of this country. But for now, he has managed to shine through a period that would have tarnished any other leader but him.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 5th, 2015.

Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.
Modi — still going strong - The Express Tribune

Good job Indians. You are so fortunate to have a national leader that is loved by billions of people unlike our pathetic Nawaz Sharif who is even resented by his own ministers!

@13 komaun @[Bregs] @agamdilawari @airuah @Ajit Kumar @Ammyy @anant_s @Arav_Rana @ASB @Avik274 @Bagha @bhangi bava @bloo @blood @Blue_Eyes @Bombaywalla @Brahmos_2 @cerberus @Chanakya's_Chant @chhota bheem @danish_vij @desert warrior @DRAY @Echo_419 @eowyn @Etilla @farhan_9909 @Force-India @gau8av @genmirajborgza786 @Georgeclark @gslv mk3 @halupridol @haviZsultan @he-man @illusion8 @Ind4Ever @indiatester @IndoUS @Indrani @itachiii @ito @jaiind @JanjaWeed @kadamba-warrior @karan.1970 @khujliwal @Krate M @kurup @levina @lightoftruth @magudi @Major Shaitan Singh @Manindra @Marxist @me_itsme @Mike_Brando @MilSpec @Mukunda Murthi Rao @Nair saab @naveen mishra @noksss @Not Sure @Omega007 @OrionHunter @PARIKRAMA @pumkinduke @pursuit of happiness @r1_vns @rahi2357 @Rain Man @ranjeet @ravi Nair @RayOfLight @Razia Sultana @ROCKING @Rohit Patel @rubyjackass @Ryuzaki @sajan @SamantK @SAMEET @Samudra Manthan @SarthakGanguly @Sidak @Skull and Bones @Sneaker @SpArK @Spectre @sreekumar @Srinivas @SrNair @Star Wars @surya kiran @SwAggeR @Syama Ayas @Tea addict @thesolar65 @utraash @VeeraBahadur @vostok @WAR-rior @Water Car Engineer @wolfpack @wolfschanzze @Yogijaat

Modi — still going strong
By Aakar Patel
Published: July 5, 2015

When he won the general elections last year, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi lifted his party to a 32 per cent vote. This means he added about 10 per cent over the average the party achieved in the Vajpayee years and immediately after that.

I have always thought of his support as coming from two different, and disparate, groups. The dominant one is the traditional Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) voter, who is attracted to the party because of its principles. By this I mean Hindutva, and the dislike of Muslims expressed through the three primary issues — Ram Janmabhoomi (Muslims should give up their mosque), Uniform Civil Code (Muslims should give up their family law) and Article 370 (Muslims should give up their autonomy in Kashmir).

But I also mean those who admired the BJP as a meritocratic party whose ideological wellspring is located in social work through the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. This makes it different from the aristocratic and dynastic Gandhi-family led Congress.

The second group of BJP voters came to the party mainly through theattractiveness of Modi. A brilliant speaker (I used to rate him in the same category as Bal Thackeray and Lalu Yadav in being able to connect with the audience, but now I think he’s quite simply the best we have produced in decades), who is able to compress complex issues into simple slogans, Modi comes across as credible. He is a great representative of Indian nationalism and an attractive figure because of his charisma. His promise of a new India and new beginning under him was bought comprehensively by this second group.

This is the background in which we have begun to receive news that India is not really very different either in reality or in the way that the government functions.

The economy hasn’t taken off and the credit rating firm Moody’s has reported a disappointment at the rate of reforms. A staggering report on poverty this week shows that 92 per cent of rural Indian families survive on less than Rs10,000 a month.

Television shows are running back-to-back scams and going after ministers of both the centre and the BJP state governments. Things seem like they are getting back to the same level as they were in the final years of Manmohan Singh’s government.

But in one very significant way they are not. The BJP has won by-elections in the last few weeks in a way that shows that Modi’s personal support is not diminishing.

This can be showed in the unusual election result of states like Tripura and Kerala. In the former, the BJP candidate finished ahead of the Congress, which is remarkable.

In Kerala the BJP candidate, an old and popular leader of the party, got a fourth of the vote. This was many times more than what the party had received in the previous election. Some said it showed that the BJP lotus was blooming in Kerala. Even if it is not, it shows without question that the prime minister’s shine is not fading at a time when the news in the media about his government is mainly negative. And the perception of the outside world, which thought Modi was so promising only a year ago, has also begun to ebb.

What explains this?

How is Modi able to hold on to his constituency despite getting hammered on both perception (through the media) and the reality of execution, as witnessed by daily stories on the state of India?

I think he continues to sail through because he has successfully been able to retain that second group of people whom he attracted to the BJP. I mean those who admire him and believe he will bring change in time. Through all the bad news, he has not let them feel that he has lost his way.

He does this through direct communication. He is independent of the media in that sense, and though he does not communicate on the issues that anchors and reporters want him to (Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje and their Lalit Modi connections, for instance), he continues to keep his line open with his admirers through Twitter and through his public speaking.

The expanding nature of the IPL scandal, involving people of almost every party, should otherwise have laid Modi low. But the aspect of his attractiveness that is independent of his party (i.e., the second group) keeps him insulated from the mess.

Its result is that he is given a longer leash by his fans than they have given to any other leader of our time.

Will he be able to continue putting himself above the fray if other scandals continue to emerge in his term? No, the erosion will inevitably come, given the awful state of this country. But for now, he has managed to shine through a period that would have tarnished any other leader but him.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 5th, 2015.

Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.
Modi — still going strong - The Express Tribune

Good job Indians. You are so fortunate to have a national leader that is loved by billions of people unlike our pathetic Nawaz Sharif who is even resented by his own ministers!

@13 komaun @[Bregs] @agamdilawari @airuah @Ajit Kumar @Ammyy @anant_s @Arav_Rana @ASB @Avik274 @Bagha @bhangi bava @bloo @blood @Blue_Eyes @Bombaywalla @Brahmos_2 @cerberus @Chanakya's_Chant @chhota bheem @danish_vij @desert warrior @DRAY @Echo_419 @eowyn @Etilla @farhan_9909 @Force-India @gau8av @genmirajborgza786 @Georgeclark @gslv mk3 @halupridol @haviZsultan @he-man @illusion8 @Ind4Ever @indiatester @IndoUS @Indrani @itachiii @ito @jaiind @JanjaWeed @kadamba-warrior @karan.1970 @khujliwal @Krate M @kurup @levina @lightoftruth @magudi @Major Shaitan Singh @Manindra @Marxist @me_itsme @Mike_Brando @MilSpec @Mukunda Murthi Rao @Nair saab @naveen mishra @noksss @Not Sure @Omega007 @OrionHunter @PARIKRAMA @pumkinduke @pursuit of happiness @r1_vns @rahi2357 @Rain Man @ranjeet @ravi Nair @RayOfLight @Razia Sultana @ROCKING @Rohit Patel @rubyjackass @Ryuzaki @sajan @SamantK @SAMEET @Samudra Manthan @SarthakGanguly @Sidak @Skull and Bones @Sneaker @SpArK @Spectre @sreekumar @Srinivas @SrNair @Star Wars @surya kiran @SwAggeR @Syama Ayas @Tea addict @thesolar65 @utraash @VeeraBahadur @vostok @WAR-rior @Water Car Engineer @wolfpack @wolfschanzze @Yogijaat

The author's full name is - Aakar Ahmed Patel he's a known Modi baiter currently heads Amnesty. Before elections last year he used to predict doomsday if Modi were to be elected.

There are no scams or none at least of the magnitude we used to see under previous government in centre in fact even now we keep unearthing the scams of erstwhile regime every now and then so much so that last week alone a 19000 cr discrepancy came up via CAG.

Most of the so called "scams" like Vyapam, Raje etc involves state governments which are run by BJP and dates back to days before Modi was elected PM

Just a few months back Moody has changed outlook from 'stable' to 'positive'. Again the disappointment over 'pace' of the reforms is not because Modi doesn't want reforms - some of his neo liberal policies are stuck in perception battle of being pro poor or pro rich, for others he doesn't have requisite numbers in upper house of the parliament to get reforms through, while some others are constitutional amendments which requires 2/3rd majority in both houses and consent of the states making things very hard to push through - typical of a parliamentary democracy with ample checks and balances.

Even the most die hard critics of Modi have credited him with creating a good investment climate, outward looking foreign policy, quick decision making, no policy paralysis - sharp decline in number of stalled projects, infra picking up etc

It's too much to expect one man to come with a magic wand and change everything but at least now we have someone who is trying

Last edited:
I was the second type of voter...I voted BJP because I thought it was a meritocratic party. But no action against Sushma Swaraj and Vasundhara Raje in spite of evidence shows BJP is just like any party.

What is going strong for BJP is that opposition Congress is at the weakest and its leader Rahul Gandhi useless. There are no alternatives at present in India but Modi.

As on economic front, I would not agree with the OP...Modi is doing better than the previous government. I think it will take a year or two to see the results.

The author's full name is - Aakr Ahmed Patel he's a known Modi baiter currently heads Amnesty. Before elections last year he used to predict doomsday if Modi were to be elected.

There are no scams or none at least of the magnitude we used to see under previous government in centre in fact even now we keep unearthing the scams of erstwhile regime every now and then so much so that last week alone a 19000 cr discrepancy came up via CAG.

Most of the so called "scams" like Vyapam, Raje etc involves state governments which are run by BJP and dates back to days before Modi was elected PM

Just a few months back Moody has changed outlook from 'stable' to 'positive'. Again the disappointment over 'pace' of the reforms is not because Modi doesn't want reforms - some of his neo liberal policies are stuck in perception battle of being pro poor or pro rich, for others he doesn't have requisite numbers in upper house of the parliament to get reforms through, while some others are constitutional amendments which requires 2/3rd majority in both houses and consent of the states making things very hard to push through - typical of a parliamentary democracy with ample checks and balances.

Even the most die hard critics of Modi have credited him with creating a good investment climate, outward looking foreign policy, quick decision making, no policy paralysis - sharp decline in number of stalled projects, infra picking up etc

It's too much to expect one man to come with a magic wand and change everything but at least now we have someone who is trying

It is not the nature of the scams or magnitude of the scams that matters here, but the damning silence of Modi regarding the scams is what surprises me given the clean image he projected to us in last elections.

As on Economy...Modi is doing pretty well. The evidence the OP has given such as 92% living under Rs 10000 a month is weak. The result of living standards of a country are all collective responsibility of all governments since Independence

I was the second type of voter...I voted BJP because I thought it was a meritocratic party. But no action against Sushma Swaraj and Vasundhara Raje in spite of evidence shows BJP is just like any party.

What is the crime that Sushma Swaraj and Vasundhara Raje committed ? :azn:

What are the grounds for action ?

Last edited:
Modi started off with a bang but seems to be petering off. The josh looks like it has evaporated.

However, I think he needs more time to sort things out. After all, it's a five year mandate. Let's see what tricks he has up his sleeve. But he needs to pull them off quick before the situation reaches a point of no return like the erstwhile corrupt Congress.

As of now, BJP is attacked with multiple corruption cases..but it is basically adding to the strength of Modiji...Because they are the people in BJP like Sushma, Shivraj who are trying to play against Modi in BJP and now facing the brunt of the people due to corruption charges....

What is going strong for BJP is that opposition Congress is at the weakest and its leader Rahul Gandhi useless. There are no alternatives at present in India but Modi.

As on economic front, I would not agree with the OP...Modi is doing better than the previous government. I think it will take a year or two to see the results.

It is not the nature of the scams or magnitude of the scams that matters here, but the damning silence of Modi regarding the scams is what surprises me given the clean image he projected to us in last elections.

As on Economy...Modi is doing pretty well. The evidence the OP has given such as 92% living under Rs 10000 a month is weak. The result of living standards of a country are all collective responsibility of all governments since Independence

Sushma Swaraj 'best' minister in Modi government: Survey - The Times of India
Sushma is one of the best minister's in the cabinet right now - but even if they wanted to sack her they have no alternative to replace her with remember unlike UPA there's a scarcity of quality leaders in BJP especially since Modi-Shah duo has kept most of the old vets out of the club

As for Raje - if she gets the axe Gehlot will slip back in Rajasthan- as simple as that - so BJP has no choice but to rally behind her

As for why Modi isn't speaking since nobody is sacking anybody - nothing will come out of him opening his mouth. The monsoon session of parliament is very important as many reforms are pending and the opposition is sure to create ruckus not allowing the parliament to function and demanding answers from the PM so uttering anything now will go vain as eventually he'll have to speak on the floor of the house to calm them anyway

Last edited:
Sushma has done nothing wrong.
Vasundhara has done morally wrong but nothing legally wrong.

Lalit Modi is fugitive...whose Passport was revoked by the Courts. Helping a fugitive escape the country is absolutely wrong. There are also allegation that Lalit Modi helped Sushma Swaraj's niece to get a law seat at University of Sussex.

It is better not talk of Vasundhara Raje...she helped Lalit Modi get permanent residence in UK, and hers, her sons' and her daughter in-laws' financial dealing with Lalit Modi is quite open.

Both have misused their power.

Lalit Modi is fugitive...whose Passport was revoked by the Courts. Helping a fugitive escape the country is absolutely wrong. There are also allegation that Lalit Modi helped Sushma Swaraj's niece to get a law seat at University of Sussex.

It is better not talk of Vasundhara Raje...she helped Lalit Modi get permanent residence in UK, and hers, her sons' and her daughter in-laws' financial dealing with Lalit Modi is quite open.

Both have misused their power.

If Lalit Modi was a Fugitive who's passport was revoked by the courts, how did he land in the UK ? :rofl:

WTF was the congress govt. doing allowing the "fugitive" to escape "law" ? :lol: ........ how did he board the flight ? :cheesy:

I was not aware that helping students get a law seat in Univ. of sussex was a crime :woot: ............ is handing over a tissue to Sushma's swaraj's niece a crime too ? or is taking an tissue to clean u'r @ss a crime as well ? I fail to see the "crime".

So far No court has sentenced Lalit Modi for ANY CRIME. No crime has been proven, so how is he a "fugitive" ? ::lol:

How is helping LM getting a Residency in UK a crime ? :woot: ...... how is having "financial dealing" with Lalit Modi a crime ? :lol: ........ Lalit Modi has an ICICI Bank account, so is ICICI also guilty of CRIME since they have "financial dealing" with him ? :cheesy:

I thought you will provide some sort of Logical or Reasonable reply. BTW .... I have heard that there is an allegation of RAPE against you. You should be ashamed of being a rapist and posting on pdf :P

If Lalit Modi was a Fugitive who's passport was revoked by the courts, how did he land in the UK ? :rofl:

WTF was the congress govt. doing allowing the "fugitive" to escape "law" ? :lol: ........ how did he board the flight ? :cheesy:

I was not aware that helping students get a law seat in Univ. of sussex was a crime :woot: ............ is handing over a tissue to Sushma's swaraj's niece a crime too ? or is taking an tissue to clean u'r @ss a crime as well ? I fail to see the "crime".

So far No court has sentenced Lalit Modi for ANY CRIME. No crime has been proven, so how is he a "fugitive" ? ::lol:

How is helping LM getting a Residency in UK a crime ? :woot: ...... how is having "financial dealing" with Lalit Modi a crime ? :lol: ........ Lalit Modi has an ICICI Bank account, so is ICICI also guilty of CRIME since they have "financial dealing" with him ? :cheesy:

I thought you will provide some sort of Logical or Reasonable reply. BTW .... I have heard that there is an allegation of RAPE against you. You should be ashamed of being a rapist and posting on pdf :P

For you it may not be a crime. I consider this to be a serious crime and misuse of position in return for financial and non financial gains.

When I term fugitive....it means he has serious charges against him. And that he didn't returned from UK to India since last 5 years and trying to get UK passport says he has done wrong.

The author's full name is - Aakar Ahmed Patel he's a known Modi baiter currently heads Amnesty. Before elections last year he used to predict doomsday if Modi were to be elected

Coincidentally, there was a post about Aakar A Patel (AAP) on reddit this morning. I got some interesting links from there:

Our system of dynasty is not problematic - Livemint

So is our dynastic culture all bad? I would say our problem is the opposite. We do not have enough dynasty in India. Indians are unusually good at picking quality dynasties, whether it is the Kapoors or the Nehru-Gandhis. The Congress president has always presented herself as being very moral and upright. So is our dynastic culture all bad? I would say our problem is the opposite. We do not have enough dynasty in India. Indians are unusually good at picking quality dynasties, whether it is the Kapoors or the Nehru-Gandhis. The Congress president has always presented herself as being very moral and upright.

The catholicity of Sonia - Livemint

Sonia is slim and fit. At the dining table, she is probably disciplined. She brings the European’s refinement to our otherwise crude politics. *She has brought up her children superbly. Both act correctly and modestly. Rahul is quite educated, getting his post-graduation degree at Trinity. From what I have read of him, Rahul is observant and intelligent. He has learned the limits of what the state can do to make India more liveable. He has discovered an essential truth about India. He is doing what Jawaharlal Nehru was doing with Gandhi before 1930, the discovery of India. When Rahul speaks, he usually presents an Indian reality which has come from an uncommon understanding. Though he is good looking, he doesn’t deploy his charisma. By this I mean he doesn’t pose and make heroic statements like Narendra Modi does. He chooses not to. *When one is as famous and as good looking as Rahul Gandhi, charisma is a function of deployment. We got a half-literate Catholic woman, but even she has been so good at trying to undo the damage we inflict on ourselves.

I would advise that you don't take anything that he writes seriously at all, even if it sounded favorable to your own views.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom