What's new

Mistake to sell fighter jets to Pakistan

Anees

Reaction score
Pakistan has proven time after time that it plays both sides of the fence when it comes to its relationship with the United States and other countries that aren't our allies.

We can't totally isolate Pakistan because it has helped us in the past with intelligence and other types of aid, but we certainly shouldn't be in the business of selling the nation fighter planes.

Last month, the U.S government approved the sale of eight Lockheed Martin-made F-16 fighter jets to the Middle Eastern country for $700 million, partially subsidized by the U.S. Also included in the sale is radar and electronic warfare equipment.

While the deal is a great one for Lockheed Martin, which has the chance to extend its production of the F-16 jets at its Forth Worth, Texas, manufacturing complex, it's a deal that shouldn't become a reality.

Despite protests, the Obama administration pushed through the sale of the jets to Pakistan, which the U.S. gives billions in dollars to, citing the need for humanitarian and counter-terror reasons.

The Obama administration couldn't be any more wrong on this issue.

Thankfully, we have people such as U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., looking out for us by trying to stop this sale from going through and possibly preventing an arms race between Pakistan and neighboring India.

Paul is dead on when he says, "We should not be selling U.S. military technology to a country whose intelligence and military apparatuses are actively assisting the Afghan Taliban. Over the last few years we have seen that Pakistan is an uncertain ally when it comes to cooperating with the U.S."

Kentucky's junior senator used the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 to try and stop the sale. Paul introduced a joint resolution of disapproval Feb. 25, but unfortunately it was voted down Thursday by a 71-24 margin.

The Arms Export Control Act includes a process whereby a senator can introduce a resolution to block arms sales.

It is very disappointing that this was voted down because this is a no-brainer. Paul realized that it was a no-brainer and bad for our country. It's very unfortunate that many of his colleagues didn't see it that way.

Arguing for passage on the Senate floor Thursday, Paul correctly stated, “I can’t in good conscience look away as America crumbles at home and politicians tax us to send the money to corrupt and duplicitous regimes abroad. Pakistan is at best a frenemy. Part friend – and a lot of enemy.”

blank.gif

Another troubling aspect of this sale is the claim that the planes will be used for humanitarian aid. F-16s are fighter jets designed to destroy enemy forces or moving targets, not to distribute humanitarian aid.

The Obama administration could make a much better sale to the American public if they were selling C-130s, which are cargo planes generally used for transportation and humanitarian efforts.

Paul was also correct when he says American taxpayer dollars shouldn't be spent on the sale of these planes to Pakistan, which has been reported to be providing a safe space for the Haqqani terror network to operate.

The final argument that could be made, which Paul has been arguing for years, is why are we doing business with a country that sentenced Pakistani Dr. Shakil Afridi, who helped us locate and kill Osama bin Laden, to 33 years in a prison in that country? This alone should tell you all you need to know about what an unreliable ally Pakistan can be.

Afridi is rotting away in a Pakistani jail for helping us find one of the largest mass murderers in history, and this is a country to which we want to sell advanced fighter planes?

We think the answer is a simple no.

Although Paul wasn't successful in this vote, he stood up to a horrible plan by the Obama administration and if nothing else got to let the American public see what a bad foreign policy move this really was.

Mistake to sell fighter jets to Pakistan | Our Opinion | bgdailynews.com

I can understand the pain.. just be ready for more to come there will be the time when u will be used to it..
Try next time harder to block :)

Sad day for Indians.

Not at all. These 10 shity 40 years old jet is not going to change any power equation. Yes, Pakistan can not have better than that but we have MKIs, Mirage UPG, Mig 29 UPG and even tejas to take care of these toys. You can just be happy.

First plane rolled out in 1976. Those who have primary mathematics knowledge may calculate it else Allah malik hai.
By that logic Tejas is the most advanced jet in the world because it has yet to enter full service. God forbid it enters active service lest people start dating it.

Last edited:
@Anees
seeing all your three threads( escaping the shadow of pakistan, pak may have jeopardized the latest afghan peace talks. and this one) that you have just started it seems you idealize hassan nisar, hamid mir, hoodboy and asma jahangir and want to pursue a career like them. goog attempt .why don't you make a documentary about these issues . may be you get oscar some day.

Oh ok so Pakistan plays both sides - cannot be trusted -
So how many f16s Pakistans has given to the other side? -

You are an idiot if you think that F16 in 1976 and 2016 are the same. :lol:

But the turd forgot mig-29s,Jaguars and the failed lca etc are from the same era..:lol:

wow... Wikipedia is your source of information ?? even i can edit information on Wikipedia, remember. so you can't relay on Wikipedia every time.
And ,
i am not that free to start counting death toll of each and every drone strike but one thing i can definitely say is that this 45000 death toll by 'drone strikes' is exaggerated . it will be around 2500 (+-).
but if you still insist. then give me a source of your claim.

That's logged up his ... real deep..

All i could see was alot of Paul ball licking and no substance.

I protest for posting such news not everyday. Burning Indians more is not any less helpful!

Now think what I just said!

Not at all. These 10 shity 40 years old jet is not going to change any power equation. Yes, Pakistan can not have better than that but we have MKIs, Mirage UPG, Mig 29 UPG and even tejas to take care of these toys. You can just be happy.

Sad day for Indians.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom