What's new

MiG-29SMT Fulcrum upgrade, what will be performance improvements ??

கார்த்திக்;934695 said:
Are hard-points and station different..? Please clarify the bolded part.

Thx

Dude..no offence..please change your username to english..where everybody can read and understand what your username means.

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

views of the IAF pilots about Falcrums.
YouTube - MiG 29 in the Indian Air Force

What program was this ? Any more clips from the same show ? The production values are real good.

கார்த்திக்;934695 said:
Are hard-points and station different..? Please clarify the bolded part.

Thx

Sure Buddy

Let me make it as simple as possible

What Mig29 has is 4 under each wing hard-point and 1 Centerline Ventral hard-point .
In total 9 Hard-points ,
of which
2 inboard ones + 1 centerline can carry 1500L drop-tanks .
Upgraded+MiG-29UPG-2.JPG

Buddy , what we mean by 13 store-stations is
Double weapons carriage on one pair of these hardpoints (e.g. using a rack for 2 SRAAM) would raise that to 11 (2 pairs > 13)

For e.g Mig29SMT in-Board Pylons can be fitted with tandem bomb racks, which effectively increases the number of hardpoints to thirteen

mig29_6.jpg

See the above load-out for Mig35/K/M2/SMT , This is the only hi-res pick to make it clear
On above picture
-In-board pylons having R27
-Mid-Board
Out-Board pylons having R77
-And R73 on outermost wing pylon
4 on each side

If you look closely the Wingtip on both sides is left blank it houses Gardeniya antennas , that can be freed up to add more Stations .
But still if you count them it makes 15 stations

+ 1 Gun-Pod which every fighter carries , I add all these = 16 stations for carriage

Hard-point - the term is used to refer to a point on the wings of military aircraft where external stores such as missiles, bombs, countermeasures, gun pods, or drop tanks can be mounted.
Wiki-pedia = Hardpoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i wish they add all the mig 35 features to it

Does Mirage deal have ASRAAM 120c/d?

Tx

Sri ,
AIM-132 ASRAAM is short-range while AIM-120 AMRAAM is BVR missile
If you are talking about AIM120 c/D , it would never be part of Mirage package . India never sought any info on it , neither any interest was shown .
Simple reason being , France/MBDA wont allow it to happen . Even if it is allowed India will have to bear cost of integration . So BVR weapon of Mirage will always be MICA .

For short-range since whole Packaged deal involves MBDA , it was logical to go with ASRAAM .

Earlier for Jaguar upgrade -
Python5/AIm9-sidewinder/ASRAAM were in tender , but with Mirage package together a Large purchase of ASRAAM is logical way IAF is looking

So if we see the upgrades then is it safe to say that it will then belong to 4th generation?

Yes it is, because both will have 4. gen capabilities like, BVR, PGM, weapons, advanced radars and avionics and so on. The difference is that the Mig will remain mainly an A2A fighter, geared for BVR/WVR combats and only light A2G capabilities. The Mirage instead is limited in A2A only by less missile range of the MICA EM (60Km compared to around 100Km of R77), but than could be countered with Astra missile, that is expected at 80Km range. However, in A2G the Mirage will be exellent with AASM, or Paveway bombs, Exocet, or Scalp missiles.

Buddy , what we mean by 13 store-stations is
Double weapons carriage on one pair of these hardpoints (e.g. using a rack for 2 SRAAM) would raise that to 11 (2 pairs > 13)

For e.g Mig29SMT in-Board Pylons can be fitted with tandem bomb racks, which effectively increases the number of hardpoints to thirteen

But the Russians don't have twin pylons for missiles yet (like the weapon config graphic shows too) and the twin pylons for bombs are for dumb bombs only, so not really useful. Be it the SMTs, or IN Ks, the Mig 29 is limited to 9 weapon stations only, with 3 of them possible for fuel tanks. Anyway, IAF will use them for interception mainly, so they will carry mainly missiles and will be re-fuelled in air if necessary.

Sri ,
AIM-132 ASRAAM is short-range while AIM-120 AMRAAM is BVR missile
If you are talking about AIM120 c/D , it would never be part of Mirage package . India never sought any info on it , neither any interest was shown .
Simple reason being , France/MBDA wont allow it to happen . Even if it is allowed India will have to bear cost of integration . So BVR weapon of Mirage will always be MICA .

For short-range since whole Packaged deal involves MBDA , it was logical to go with ASRAAM .

Earlier for Jaguar upgrade -
Python5/AIm9-sidewinder/ASRAAM were in tender , but with Mirage package together a Large purchase of ASRAAM is logical way IAF is looking

Thanks Prateek
Got confused between ASRAAM and AMRAAM:agree:

Although most of them are criticizing the MiG-29's that belong to the IAF's fleet. Also i would like to mention that instead of increasing the hard points to 4 under each wing they should configure these 3 under wing hard points to carry multiple weapons on the existing no. of racks.

Hi,

The upgrades include the Zhuk ME radar which is not AESA radar. Further the upgraded Mid-29SMTs are to be used till 2025 by which time rival AFs will sport AESAs. So why not modify the contract and include the AESA now the Russia has developed one?

Even the LCA MkII is supposed to be equipped with AESA. Why waste a maneuverable aircraft like Mig-29 with a less capable radar? Is there a space constraint or will force multipliers like AWACS reduce the radar requirement?

Also with the acquisition of aircraft like MMRCA and LCA MkII what will be the roles assigned to the upgraded Mig-29.

Hi,

The upgrades include the Zhuk ME radar which is not AESA radar. Further the upgraded Mid-29SMTs are to be used till 2025 by which time rival AFs will sport AESAs. So why not modify the contract and include the AESA now the Russia has developed one?

Even the LCA MkII is supposed to be equipped with AESA. Why waste a maneuverable aircraft like Mig-29 with a less capable radar? Is there a space constraint or will force multipliers like AWACS reduce the radar requirement?

Also with the acquisition of aircraft like MMRCA and LCA MkII what will be the roles assigned to the upgraded Mig-29.

To build the low level of IAF, together with upg Mirage 2000s, new LCA Mk1 and Mig 21 Bisons till they are phased out too. They all will replace the Mig 21 in the interception role mainly, but have also CAS capabilities. That's why all these fighters are at a similar tech and capability level (4th gen fighters). Most of them will be fielded against PAF and will be comparable to their fighters too.
Regarding the radars, except the LCAs, all of these fighters will be phased out at least in 2025, so there is no real need to put the latest techs into them. LCA instead will serve longer and the MK1s will be upgraded with AESA later, so nothing wrong with the decision here, Zhuk ME for INs Mig 29Ks instead is a different story that I also can't understand.

Zhuk ME for INs Mig 29Ks instead is a different story that I also can't understand.

Sancho - I think the Russians didnt want the AESA to be offred with Mig 29, as that was their selling point for Mig 35, from a layman's POV the onlt difference on in IN Mig29Ks and Mig35 is the radar and the TVC.

I hope this was your question:)

Hi Dash,

There is some speculation even in Wiki that the radar in Mig 29K is Aesa
There were some reports that the optional Mig 29K/KUB for India are offered with Zhuk AE.[21] It is also possible Russian Navy may deploy the Zhuk-AE 'AESA' instead of Zhuk-ME radar for its own use.
Mikoyan MiG-29K - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if anyone knows the details pl let me know.
also whats the range, operational advs of Zhuk AE over Zhuk ME. according to wiki there is hardly anything [ not substantial]

thanks
Sri

sir, i think aesa radar on mig29 is only for navys new contracted 29 planes. and i think seniors members can help

sir, i think aesa radar on mig29 is only for navys new contracted 29 planes. and i think seniors members can help

Zhuk AE (AESA) is developed for Mig-35 also offered for new Mig-29K under-consideration by the Navy along with F-35, F-18 SH, Naval Eurofighter and Sea Gripen. But its not selected yet. As of now there is no indication that Navy went for Zhuk AE.

Yes only navy Mig29 hay AESA radars

No offence, but i am sure that no version of Mig29 have AESA.
I would be tankful to u, if u post a source claiming AESA for mig 29.
Thankyou

Back
Top Bottom