What's new

Mig 29 AESA upgrade for IAF

SBD-3

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
8034880051_e8dee54274_b.jpg

Remember when our IAF chief was in Russia he spent hours on the presentation of the Zhuk AESA radar for MiG-35 acc Russian Radio English News(VOR) even though everybody knew it was out of MMRCA.

This was probably for MiG-29's.

IAF Mirages and IN MiG-29K's may also get AESA upgrade in the near future.

Remember when our IAF chief was in Russia he spent hours on the presentation of the Zhuk AESA radar for MiG-35 acc Russian Radio English News(VOR) even though everybody knew it was out of MMRCA.

This was probably for MiG-29's.

IAF Mirages and IN MiG-29K's may also get AESA upgrade in the near future.

what do you think those 2.5 BN $$ upgrade deal is for . ..:agree:

Are you sure the upgrade deal includes the installation of AESA radar on the Mirages. If so, can you provide the links please.

this news right now is just a speculation because our original plan was to go for ZHUK ME Instead of AE.

mirage radar is speculated to be rdy2 or rdy 3 , I think ill would be pesa radar.

The author is just speculating about the export country and more over about the type of fighter that should get the radar! The IAF Mig 29s will add much weight now with the additional fuel tanks, IFR probe, additional hardpoints and airframe changes, while the engine will be the RD33-3 Series and not the MK of the Mig 35/K. The reports from Zhuk AE development stated that the version with 1000 T/R modules faces weight issues and that's why they wasn't able to prove the promised 200Km detection range, so it's doubtful that they will add more weight to the fighter. Another point is, that we saw Kh35 beeing integrated into these Mig 29s, but the current version of Zhuk AE has only A2A modes, one reasons why IN also opted for the Zhuk ME. Not to mention that the first production version of Zhuk AE is just meant to be available around next year, while the first Mig 29s will already be upgraded.

=> All in all many reasons to doubt that IAFs Mig 29s will get these and if India is interested in Zhuk AE, only for the Super 30 upgrade of MKI, or as an upgrade of the Mig 29Ks!

The author is just speculating about the export country and more over about the type of fighter that should get the radar! The IAF Mig 29s will add much weight now with the additional fuel tanks, IFR probe, additional hardpoints and airframe changes, while the engine will be the RD33-3 Series and not the MK of the Mig 35/K. The reports from Zhuk AE development stated that the version with 1000 T/R modules faces weight issues and that's why they wasn't able to prove the promised 200Km detection range, so it's doubtful that they will add more weight to the fighter. Another point is, that we saw Kh35 beeing integrated into these Mig 29s, but the current version of Zhuk AE has only A2A modes, one reasons why IN also opted for the Zhuk ME. Not to mention that the first production version of Zhuk AE is just meant to be available around next year, while the first Mig 29s will already be upgraded.

=> All in all many reasons to doubt that IAFs Mig 29s will get these and if India is interested in Zhuk AE, only for the Super 30 upgrade of MKI, or as an upgrade of the Mig 29Ks!

I too can't see the IAF MIG-29s after having just returned from an extensive upgrade going for yet another upgrade! Given these fighters will be reitered within 15 years it is not nessercary to once again remove them from active service to be upgraded. For the IN Mig-29Ks though I'm sure they'll get such tech in their MLU.

We should Buy Mig-35s along with Rafale.......it will be faster replacement for Mig-21s
Those will the real replacement for Mig21s , the so called MRCA is not to replace Mig21s literally . Its LCA job to replace them . Mig35s act as perfect balance between Interceptor and Airsuperiority fighter .

This is excellent news. I bet not even half a squadron has been upgraded by now. And luckily both the radars are manufactured by Zhuk. So less re-negotiation hassles.

Already the new Zhuk-AE has achieved the promised range of 185 km(close to 200km), much much higher than the 120km of the Zhuk-ME. Also the Russian navy is going for Zhuk-AE as well deliveries starting just next year. Given the fact that Zhuk-AE will be employed in Air-Ground(Air-Sea) modes as well it will be fully multirole capable. So if the inside sources of Janes are true, except 1 squadron in the IAF, the others will probably have Zhuk-AE. ^^

Back
Top Bottom