What's new

Microsoft labels Windows 7 'outdated' as it pushes Windows users to Windows 10

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Microsoft labels Windows 7 'outdated' as it pushes Windows users to Windows 10
Windows 7's retirement clock tick-tocks, shows 3 years of support left.

By Gregg Keizer

| Follow
Senior Writer, Computerworld | JAN 17, 2017 1:56 PM PT

Microsoft on Monday reminded customers running Windows 7 that they have just three years of support remaining, told them that the aged OS was “long outdated” and urged them to upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 7 will exit what Microsoft calls Extended Support on Jan. 14, 2020; at that point, the company will stop all security updates.

Microsoft used the three-years-and-counting milestone to simultaneously denigrate Windows 7 and promote its successor. “Windows 7 is based on long-outdated security architectures,” said Markus Nitschke, the head of Microsoft Germany, in a post to a German-language company blog, adding that the OS “does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments.”

On the other hand, Nitschke continued, “with Windows 10, we offer our customers the highest level of security and functionality at the cutting edge.”

The praise-the-new-denounce-the-old technique is as old as software, and one Microsoft has regularly applied. Three years ago, the company used some of the same tactics when it disparaged Windows XP, whose retirement was then quickly approaching, and trumpeted Windows 7 as its replacement. It repeated the claim, but with less effect, when it touted Windows 8 over 7 in 2012.

But Microsoft’s call to abandon Windows 7 has been louder, a shout in comparison. Not only has the firm done the usual—favored the new over the old—but it has also significantly changed decades of practices thought inviolable, such as patching, when it eliminated reasons why enterprises stayed with Windows 7.

Other steps Microsoft’s taken this cycle have been just as unprecedented. It gave away Windows 10 upgrades to millions of customers—primarily consumers, but also businesses running Windows 7 Professional—for a year. And although it eventually retreated from an aggressive deadline, Microsoft plans to support neither Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 after July 2018 on devices powered by Intel’s newest Skylake silicon.

Microsoft’s assertive, even zealous, push of Windows 10 may have multiple motivations. It may want customers, particularly enterprises, to avoid repeating the mad rush near the end of Windows XP’s lifecycle. Or it might be aiming for a faster adoption tempo to monetize Windows 10’s software-as-a-service model as soon as possible.

Computerworld.

To comment on this article and other PCWorld content, visit our Facebookpage or our Twitter feed.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3158...as-it-pushes-windows-users-to-windows-10.html

Is this good or bad I can't decide.
But I am very happy with Windows 7, I have no reason to upgrade to Windows 10.
I hope Microsoft does not force me to upgrade.:confused:

I kinda want to stay with windows 7, but I am willing to switch to 10 if it solves a few peculiar issues my network card is having these days. It will be last resort I will try I think.

Only noobs use windows, Linux all the way.

Windows_Vs_Mac_Vs_Linux_11.jpeg

I kinda want to stay with windows 7, but I am willing to switch to 10 if it solves a few peculiar issues my network card is having these days. It will be last resort I will try I think.

Just bought a Windows 10 laptop. Still getting used to it. Windows 7 was much more simple.

On the other hand, Nitschke continued, “with Windows 10, we offer our customers the highest level of security and functionality at the cutting edge.”

We offer the most shittiest and unreliable operating system.....

Only noobs use windows, Linux all the way.

Windows_Vs_Mac_Vs_Linux_11.jpeg

Typical sloganeering like Pakistani politics..very little practical use..!

Do yourselves a favor and switch to Linux once and for all! :azn:

i have Linux on my PC.

search this on internet:
Ian Murdock, father of Debian, dead at 42

I work in an IT department and i have found that we IT Pros are all members of Bill Gates and party receiving our bhattas in the form of software maintenance contracts and when we are not satisfied we discontinue the product and sell a new one. :D

Well, this is interesting. It may outdated but still free of bugs.....! I recommend Microsoft to at least make sure that it is compatible will all types of hardware's. Recently HP Introduced Folio which is having problems with windows 10.......!

Back
Top Bottom