What's new

Microsoft Hololens - groundbreaking or a fad?

Menace2Society

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am really excited about this. It will be used in conjunction with Windows 10. Not sure when it will be released but I should imagine not long to go.

Will this take off however? For th non graphics designer/architect will this be useful or just a novelty? How does it compare to Oculus Rift, will it also offer virtual reality?

Depends on price. If many buy it, developers will create a lot of content for it.

I might get one :D

It's by Microsoft so it probably won't work the way it's supposed to. :p:
That's pretty harsh.
The target consumer for Hololens has not yet been identified and as such the price point is still in contention. A $300 device makes sense for gamers and casual users but a $1000 device will only make sense for visual designers. That being said, the product itself is amazing and has quite a potential, fitting reply to naysayers who say MS can't innovate. The current Hololens device is quite different from the one demo'ed. Right now the device is bulky and requires a small computer to be worn on the neck. The demo'ed one is how the final prototype will look but that is some months away.

I tried Samsung VR yesterday night. Shit is (almost) legit. One year more i think, to get rid of slight pixelation due to the fact that you're essentially wearing a S7 phone a few centimeters away from the eyes.

But that aside, it is supremely immersive, like just wow on some photos and videos. Also gives a great sense of scale. pics on computer screen realyl don't give it at all in such a way.
Like for example, a VR pic in front of a building in a busy city, you truly get the feeling you are there, people around you are in your own size, so believable you almost want to touch them.

there are some cons though:

I wore it for an hour, in addition to it feeling quite heavy on my head after that time, the device overheats, i am not kidding, i got an on screen warning it's best to pause it for a while so it cools off. Rofl....
control methods are kinda...impractical, you have to reach towards it all the time, would be better if some bluetooth smallish remote would be in your palm and you control it that way.

If anyone is interested, 360cities.net is a site where to upload VR photos if you can make them (you need that ball camera if im not mistaken)

I tried Samsung VR yesterday night. Shit is (almost) legit. One year more i think, to get rid of slight pixelation due to the fact that you're essentially wearing a S7 phone a few centimeters away from the eyes.

But that aside, it is supremely immersive, like just wow on some photos and videos. Also gives a great sense of scale. pics on computer screen realyl don't give it at all in such a way.
Like for example, a VR pic in front of a building in a busy city, you truly get the feeling you are there, people around you are in your own size, so believable you almost want to touch them.

there are some cons though:

I wore it for an hour, in addition to it feeling quite heavy on my head after that time, the device overheats, i am not kidding, i got an on screen warning it's best to pause it for a while so it cools off. Rofl....
control methods are kinda...impractical, you have to reach towards it all the time, would be better if some bluetooth smallish remote would be in your palm and you control it that way.

If anyone is interested, 360cities.net is a site where to upload VR photos if you can make them (you need that ball camera if im not mistaken)

Hololens actually projects stuff over your world like a see-thru phone. It takes VR to the next step.

Right now the technology is developing and it is time to wait and see. When the technology matures I might consider buying one.

It will be best applied in design and technical stuff. Maybe i will able to make my school buy it as lab equipment and learning aid.;)

http://www.i4u.com/2016/11/118079/tesla-hires-hololens-designer-build-cars-augmented-reality

Tesla Hires HoloLens Designer To Build Cars With Augmented Reality

Tesla might be working towards augmented reality.
Tesla has recently included one of the top designers of Microsoft in its own team. The newly recruited designer include the Andrew Kim which is a HoloLens industrial designer and will be leaving Microsoft soon to join Tesla.

It is said that Kim will be taking the job of Lead Designer at Tesla. This news was also confirmed through his LinkedIn by Slashgear. Kim had been working with the Microsoft from the past three years and is actually a graduate of the Art Center College of Design.

He has recently worked at Microsoft on the HoloLens headset which is actually an augmented reality wearable. The project is really important as Microsoft is trying to push the Windows getting Holographic.

Other than this, Kim was also very much involved in the design of Xbox One S before working on the headset.

We are not sure yet that exactly what kind of projects will be given to Kim at Tesla. Tesla has a very planned and innovative journey to cover in the coming future thus it can be regarded that Kim will surely put his experience to good use at this innovative company.

Tesla is working on the upcoming launch of Tesla Model 3 which is said to be the most affordable EV made by the company. However there are so many other things up the sleeve of the company as well.

They have announced earlier this year that they are working on the concept of a Roadster. Musk had teased an EV pickup truck as well in past.

Kim might be an important part of redesigning the interiors of the Tesla models. The models have been criticized publically for offering little in the cabin as compared to other rival EV makers. Thus we might see some kind of augmented reality based design work by Kim in new cars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom