What's new

Merkel approves sales of three MEKO A200 frigates to Egypt

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
According to information published by Deutsche Welle on December 16, 2021, the government of former Chancellor Angela Merkel approved the export of Meko A-200 frigates to Egypt before leaving office.
Follow Navy Recognition on Google News at this link

Russian Vyborg Shipyard laid the Purga ice class coastguard ship of project 23550 925 001
First Algerian MEKO A-200 frigate (Picture source: Topwar)

The MEKO A-200 Frigate follows the famous MEKO 200 series general purpose frigates from the ThyssenKrupp stable. A fighting ship capable of full 4-dimensional warfare (AAW, ASW, and ASuW, BCW), the MEKO A-200 Frigate is also designed for sustained operations across the full spectrum of general missions and tasks: patrol and interdiction, support of special force operations, SAR and humanitarian operations.

The MEKO A-200 Frigate is an example of the innovative propulsion, stealth and survivability design, robust sea-keeping, and all-weather boat and helicopter operability that characterizes frigates from Marine Systems.

The MEKO A-200 has greatly reduced radar, IR, acoustic and magnetic signatures to hide and stay hidden: The X-Form shell design; extensive bulwark screening of exposed equipment; flush-closing shell doors, and RCSnet screening of all shell openings, give the vessel very low radar cross-section.

The Meko A200 frigate features the revolutionary CODAG-WARP (water jet and refined propellers) propulsion system: two CPP propeller shafts driven by cross-connectable diesel engines plus a center-line, gas turbine-driven water jet, combining the power of each drive in the water with no need for a combining gearbox.

Merkel approves sales of three MEKO A200 frigates to Egypt (navyrecognition.com)

I don't think this is a necessary purchase they are alraedy stacked in navy department but rather they should have gone for something else such as underwater drones etc etc etc

I don't think this is a necessary purchase they are alraedy stacked in navy department but rather they should have gone for something else such as underwater drones etc etc etc
It's needed along with long range cruise missiles as well as Submarines

I thought Egypt was on a modernization spree with their air force more than any other branch of the military. Some report about Su-35 being their objective after the US rejected a new F-16 weapons package for them. Seems like they were really gearing up to pressure Ethiopia regarding the damming of the Nile River.

It will be interesting to see Egypt's foreign policy position after the Ethiopian civil war. Wonder if Germany has factored this in.

I'm a little confused here. Is Egypt making a follow-on A200 order? So, Egypt would have a total of 7 A200 frigates?

According to information published by Deutsche Welle on December 16, 2021, the government of former Chancellor Angela Merkel approved the export of Meko A-200 frigates to Egypt before leaving office.
Follow Navy Recognition on Google News at this link

Russian Vyborg Shipyard laid the Purga ice class coastguard ship of project 23550 925 001
First Algerian MEKO A-200 frigate (Picture source: Topwar)

The MEKO A-200 Frigate follows the famous MEKO 200 series general purpose frigates from the ThyssenKrupp stable. A fighting ship capable of full 4-dimensional warfare (AAW, ASW, and ASuW, BCW), the MEKO A-200 Frigate is also designed for sustained operations across the full spectrum of general missions and tasks: patrol and interdiction, support of special force operations, SAR and humanitarian operations.

The MEKO A-200 Frigate is an example of the innovative propulsion, stealth and survivability design, robust sea-keeping, and all-weather boat and helicopter operability that characterizes frigates from Marine Systems.

The MEKO A-200 has greatly reduced radar, IR, acoustic and magnetic signatures to hide and stay hidden: The X-Form shell design; extensive bulwark screening of exposed equipment; flush-closing shell doors, and RCSnet screening of all shell openings, give the vessel very low radar cross-section.

The Meko A200 frigate features the revolutionary CODAG-WARP (water jet and refined propellers) propulsion system: two CPP propeller shafts driven by cross-connectable diesel engines plus a center-line, gas turbine-driven water jet, combining the power of each drive in the water with no need for a combining gearbox.

Merkel approves sales of three MEKO A200 frigates to Egypt (navyrecognition.com)
Good. We are happy for them.

Good. We are happy for them.

Egypt's foreign policy is opposite to that of the Turkish one. If anything, you should be a bit concerned. This will most likely be deployed in support of the UAE-Jordan-Israel-Greece alliance against Turkish interests in the eastern Mediterranean sea.

Egypt's foreign policy is opposite to that of the Turkish one. If anything, you should be a bit concerned. This will most likely be deployed in support of the UAE-Jordan-Israel-Greece alliance against Turkish interests in the eastern Mediterranean sea.
Egypt is another Muslim country. Every country does what it is in their best interests.
We are nobody to dictate anything to anyone and why should we?

Egypt is another Muslim country. Every country does what it is in their best interests.
We are nobody to dictate anything to anyone and why should we?

It is more about regional alliances, honestly. I was merely asking your views since Egypt has chosen to switch sides with the Arabs instead of the Turks.

It is more about regional alliances, honestly. I was merely asking your views since Egypt has chosen to switch sides with the Arabs instead of the Turks.
Egypt will side with the Arabs, because Egyptians themselves are Arabs.

Regarding the deal , I believe this is the original deal of 4 MEKOs A-200 deal ( 3 will be built in Germany and 1 in Egypt) …. But this is only the paper work.

The Turks are the ones who provoked Egyptians by hosting Terrorists, supporting anti-Egyptian groups in Libya , violating the Egyptian EEZ in Eastern Mediterranean and trying to get a military port in Sudan …… Egypt Succeeded to stop all those actions and things are now calm between the 2 states ….. I believe this will be followed by arrangements in Syria .
considering 2 things:
1- Egypt was facing Turkey before other Arabs ( arabs only joined after Khashigi case) .except UAE.
2- Economic relations between the two countries are excellent and never stoped .

Egypt will side with the Arabs, because Egyptians themselves are Arabs.

Yes , Egypt is the biggest Arab country ( between every 4 Arabs there is 1 Egyptian) …
but to be honest , Egyptians consider themselves as Egyptians first distinguishing themselves from other Arab talking countries ….. even the Egyptian Arabic ( the most widely used dialect in cinema, arts or even business throughout the Arab world) is a little bit different from the standard Arabic ) including thousands of words from ancient Egyptian language…. Knowing that this is a growing direction in Egypt .

Regarding the deal , I believe this is the original deal of 4 MEKOs A-200 deal ( 3 will be built in Germany and 1 in Egypt) …. But this is only the paper work.

The Turks are the ones who provoked Egyptians by hosting Terrorists, supporting anti-Egyptian groups in Libya , violating the Egyptian EEZ in Eastern Mediterranean and trying to get a military port in Sudan …… Egypt Succeeded to stop all those actions and things are now calm between the 2 states ….. I believe this will be followed by arrangements in Syria .
considering 2 things:
1- Egypt was facing Turkey before other Arabs ( arabs only joined after Khashigi case) .except UAE.
2- Economic relations between the two countries are excellent and never stoped .

Yes , Egypt is the biggest Arab country ( between every 4 Arabs there is 1 Egyptian) …
but to be honest , Egyptians consider themselves as Egyptians first distinguishing themselves from other Arab talking countries ….. even the Egyptian Arabic ( the most widely used dialect in cinema, arts or even business throughout the Arab world) is a little bit different from the standard Arabic ) including thousands of words from ancient Egyptian language…. Knowing that this is a growing direction in Egypt .

I was in egypt just one week ago. It was so nice there. Greetings from Greece.

P.s. we were at the marriot mena right next pyramides and it was amazing

I was in egypt just one week ago. It was so nice there. Greetings from Greece.

P.s. we were at the marriot mena right next pyramides and it was amazing

much welcome 🤗 many returns my friend🙏
Marriot Mena House oberoi is such a wonderful hotel with his Pyramids view 🔥

p.s.
I have always been nostalgic to the good old times between our 2 great nations .

Back
Top Bottom